Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jan 26, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #1,339 of 2,051
The best sound at the show definitely (in headphopnes exhibition). DCS/Sus fantactic too, more ethereal to my ears, but it was streaming, not playig CDs . If I neet to choose - Soulnote without hesitation.
That’s good recommendation 👍 If my wallet didn't need some cooldown after the last purchases, I would try to arrange a home demo.

By the way, there is another very interesting option in the region of 20k, Totaldac d1-direct. It’s just a DAC, unfortunately, but with very interesting feature - analog output is a direct output from R2R ladders with no amp stage.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #1,340 of 2,051
Cables make a difference, but if the basic tonality and sound quality is not there the cable cannot perform miracles. I have yet to come across a cable that made miracles (of any type).
So before I spend more money on the Abyss, I want to know if it's even in a general direction I want to follow.

If it helps any, I had an in home demo for a week or so with the SC cable and A/B'd them with the original. I would have to say, if I had the TC again, the SC would be a must. In fact, that's why I didn't sell them for so long, I was waiting to see if a cable would pop up used. In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to buying the cable new LOL for the same reason as you and others.

I'm not a big believer in cables making a huge difference, and the differences are rather subtle imo.. but *what* they change mates very well with the few quirks of the TC. It thickens the sound and without sounding artificially done so and gives more presence to the mids. This addresses the "cold" tonality and recessed mids to a really good degree. I was very impressed.

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,341 of 2,051
If it helps any, I had an in home demo for a week or so with the SC cable and A/B'd them with the original. I would have to say, if I had the TC again, the SC would be a must. In fact, that's why I didn't sell them for so long, I was waiting to see if a cable would pop up used. In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to buying the cable new LOL for the same reason as you and others.

I'm not a big believer in cables making a huge difference, and the differences are rather subtle imo.. but *what* they change mates very well with the few quirks of the TC. It thickens the sound and without sounding artificially done so and gives more presence to the mids. This addresses the "cold" tonality and recessed mids to a really good degree. I was very impressed.
Thank you.
What I understand from your statement is that the TC is not complete without the SC cable. Which is unfortunate.
Anyway, the TC did improve in the last few days, but I’m still struggling with its sound signature.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,342 of 2,051
Thank you.
What I understand from your statement is that the TC is not complete without the SC cable. Which is unfortunate.
Anyway, the TC did improve in the last few days, but I’m still struggling with its sound signature.

I wouldn't say it like that. Almost every headphone has an issue with it, just depends on whether it's a deal breaker or not for you. But yea, the cable is an added expense to get it to sound it's best imo, which I totally get in being a deal breaker for some, hence my case. May also want to keep your eye out for a used cable in case you see one for a really good price. Good luck either way.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,344 of 2,051
Has anyone tried the Brimar 12AU7 Welded Plate Square Getter?

Attachments

• -8150429412929585219.jpg
    -8150429412929585219.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,345 of 2,051
Very much enjoying this Shark Teeth Mullard. Thanks very much to who gave a link to it.

The markings on the second of two I recieved (1 of 2 is in the Riveria now, cranking out some sweet Pink Floyd - Animals) are M8136, Made in Gt. Britain, 6189, MJ, CV4003, KB/D.

This is Very different from other Mullard I've tried. Not overly warm, which I don't like overly warm. It's still incredibly well detailed and big soundstage, so close to G73-R. But more mid presence. And, it has a great presentation of electric guitar, especially classic rock guitar originally recorded with a tube amp. Kind of reminds me of the guitar sound I heard while trying a WA5LE amp, to a lesser degree of that sheer guitar power, but more clarity. I'll have to now have a weekly rotation of this and the red and black label G73-R...

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #1,349 of 2,051
I’m still waiting for Polish dealer to send me SC for demo, but honestly speaking I don’t know what I need to hear to tolerate that price.

Lol!

Jan 28, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #1,350 of 2,051
Anyone notice that the headphones output is working even when the output selector is in speakers mode? Is that normal operation?

My Riviera manual is packed with its box in my storage space so I can’t RTFM.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back