Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #691 of 1,904
I am gonna need to try these headphones now… Do you prefer Valkyria or 1266?

These two are both fantastic on an AIC-10, and very complementary, as they provide a dramatically different listening experience.

The Valkyria are the truest to the natural timbre / texture headphones I have ever owned or tried. For acoustic music they are by far my favorite, and since my typical listening genres are classical, jazz, vocals (in this order), they are my daily driver. Dynamics, energy density, tonal weight are some of the Valkyria strengths - piano is incredibly good with them, strings, percussions, double bass are the closest I have heard to live on a headphones system.

1650716956586.png

The AB-1266 are a better all-rounder, and much more enjoyable / fun with modern, electronic music and with live recordings in big venues, where they convey big, cimematic soundscapes in a unique way. Sub-bass is the most obvious strength of the TC over the V., together with transparency and detail retrieval.

1650717026477.png

AB-1266 is sure a most immediate wow, while the Valkyria are more of an acquired taste, but for me it would be the hardest to part from now.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #694 of 1,904
my Riviera arrivied today! I can not wait to listen to ittoday evening. A question. Do you use low or high gain with abyss? Has anyone of you chord dave and riviera user can compare xlr vs rca (my riviera is balanced one).?

Congratulations!

With the AB-1266 my preferred driving option is via speaker taps and XLR adapter (see picture). As a plan B (let's say 5-10% performance loss especially in terms of 3D dimensionality, macrodynamics and transparency) I would go with the high gain.

1650992431180.jpeg

My adapter was built by an Italian cable maker, Invictus Cables (invictus.cable@hotmail.com). They have several options with very different pricing depending on conductor type, connectors etc. PM if you want more details, or better contact directly Emiliano.

I have the original AIC-10 (only RCA) so I cannot provide a feedback about balanced vs. unbalanced, but with the DAVE specifically Rob Watts recommends - if I remember right - to use RCA for best overall transparency. Considering this and that the AIC-10 internally is not balanced (XLR is provided only for convenience), I would go with RCA.

Enjoy your AIC-10 and get ready for a tube-roller(coaster) ride :)

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #695 of 1,904
I listen on a 4th setting that is not labeled l, it sounds best 😅😅😅 but I have AIC10Bal, can’t find info on what it is.

Attachments

• 87A6DE82-F29A-4EE4-BC18-F87893C469EE.png
    87A6DE82-F29A-4EE4-BC18-F87893C469EE.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #696 of 1,904
I listen on a 4th setting that is not labeled l, it sounds best 😅😅😅 but I have AIC10Bal, can’t find info on what it is.
Uh.... what? Well that's wierd... does anyone else's amp have an option #4?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #697 of 1,904
Uh.... what? Well that's wierd... does anyone else's amp have an option #4?
It has an option 5 too, that seems to turn of the amp… 😅 asked the dealer, but no response yet. Did I get some secret prototype? Or were 3 step switches our of stock

Attachments

• 9D991ED7-093E-4A54-8A52-ACB9DD01B996.png
    9D991ED7-093E-4A54-8A52-ACB9DD01B996.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #698 of 1,904
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #699 of 1,904
https://files.fm/u/jbnsm8qr5 here is the video, couldn’t attach it here
Well now that's Intersting. It would be awesome if we had a "no reistor" option for thr front output. I wonder if that's what you got (did you get the first first bal or or something and maybe get an old proto?)

Apr 27, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #701 of 1,904
Well now that's Intersting. It would be awesome if we had a "no reistor" option for thr front output. I wonder if that's what you got (did you get the first first bal or or something and maybe get an old proto?)
I will do some digging and measurements!

Apr 27, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #703 of 1,904
I have an adapter xlr-spades from forzaaudioworks. It was the first day of Riviera and it convinces with good stereo stage, dynamic and meaty bass. On some records sometimes a bit harsh in highs and i still miss the promised sweetness, but it needs burn in and perhaps i shout use other tube for burn in (at the moment JJ). In the meantime i wait for my antipodes K50 and wonder if the difference in SQ that big is as in price. My system at the moment auralic aries femto, m scaler, dave, riviera aic, abyss

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #704 of 1,904
If you like to listen to vocals especially female jazz, make sure to give the TFK 6211 gold pins a try.

The quarter is in the books … long weeks … back into traveling … got up early 4:00am jumping on planes too often…

Now this..

FD09A204-9E36-4E9D-B0C7-6D07D71DC9DB.jpg

On a lovely 6211 which is so none audiophile, but so full of pleasure. It is like the fine wine severed in good company.

The 6211 does have more body and a very nice and tender midrange. It‘s level of portraying midrange and mood is second to none. It is very true to soul, just honest to emotion ignoring all the traits of modern HiFi thinking.

In my book it‘ll always have a top spot, and this is purely for the pleasure.

…. Back to my wine :wink:

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #705 of 1,904
I have an adapter xlr-spades from forzaaudioworks. It was the first day of Riviera and it convinces with good stereo stage, dynamic and meaty bass. On some records sometimes a bit harsh in highs and i still miss the promised sweetness, but it needs burn in and perhaps i shout use other tube for burn in (at the moment JJ). In the meantime i wait for my antipodes K50 and wonder if the difference in SQ that big is as in price. My system at the moment auralic aries femto, m scaler, dave, riviera aic, abyss

The AIC responds extremely well to it’s environmental setup, especially DAC and source, cables and power. The good part of that is that it’ll not be the limiting factor, the downside it’ll highlight shortcomings as well.

Once you are settled on the source, try to find a more forgiving tube. Since you are based in Germany you do have some of the most prestigious historic tube manufacturers at your disposal.

Out of curiosity, what kind of cables are you using to input your Dave? Maybe you are experiencing digital harshness/artifacts..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back