Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 29, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #706 of 2,051
I have an adapter xlr-spades from forzaaudioworks. It was the first day of Riviera and it convinces with good stereo stage, dynamic and meaty bass. On some records sometimes a bit harsh in highs and i still miss the promised sweetness, but it needs burn in and perhaps i shout use other tube for burn in (at the moment JJ). In the meantime i wait for my antipodes K50 and wonder if the difference in SQ that big is as in price. My system at the moment auralic aries femto, m scaler, dave, riviera aic, abyss
Will be currious to see your k50 impressions. It doesn't fit my use case but I've been super currious about that thing for a while now tbh

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #707 of 2,051
You will definitely be hearing from me about K50 though it last forever to burn in (a few months to reach 100% his full potential according to antipodes dealer). In the meantime I hear to Raal sr1 on my riviera and I must say I understand why some prefer sr1 to stax. It is my first time with ribbon HP and the speed and detail are outstanding though I prefer the abyss overall to sr1. Abyss gives me the feeling to listen to live Music. Sr1 has very good instrument separation but the feel of recording space is much better throw abyss . On abyss I can almost touch the walls of the concert hall, the sr1 pinpoint the instrument perfectly but the space in between does not breath. I hope you understand what I am trying to express. I love bass and thought I will be missing it on sr1 but it is not the problem. You listen to the music and do not thing the whole time were did the bass go. Overall for the price I got them (2,5kE) very good HP and riviera does not show any sign of overload. I will be definitely be trying them on some other, more powerful amps.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #708 of 2,051
In the meantime I hear to Raal sr1 on my riviera
Did you use the new adaptor box? With the new super low impedence adaptor box I was pretty damn blow away by raal on a ton of stuff. AIC and WA33 were particular stand outs. In fact the new box on AIC just solidified for me that raal are indeed on a higher tier overall than susvara

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #709 of 2,051
By the way I will be able to listen to stax 009 on riviera as I own LST (on lundahl transformers) which enables me to listen to stax on any loudspeaker amp. Not only does it make it possible, a good tube amp (I have tried a lot) outperform woo audio WES, so stay tuned!

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #710 of 2,051
I own LST (on lundahl transformers)
I havent heard of this but have been looking for a very nice transformer box for a while (have heard iesl can be beat if someone knows what they are doing but obv cant confirm that). Do you have a link/someone to bug about getting pricing on one?

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #712 of 2,051
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #714 of 2,051
Apr 30, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #715 of 2,051
Did you use the new adaptor box? With the new super low impedence adaptor box I was pretty damn blow away by raal on a ton of stuff. AIC and WA33 were particular stand outs. In fact the new box on AIC just solidified for me that raal are indeed on a higher tier overall than susvara

Sometimes I still miss the SR1a. I sold them after a year because I realized that the AIC-10 was not making them justice on several situations - to the point of reaching gross distortion on many conditions -, but when they were in their sweetspot the pairing was truly fantastic (e.g. simple solo acoustic music, small classical ensembles, some jazz - all at moderate SPL).

And the uniqueness of the SR1a experience - the sheer feeling of music popping out of nowhere - is undeniable.

I tried over a dozen high-end amplifiers with the SR1a, up to 30k stratospheric ones (DarTZeel CTH8550), and, tonality-wise, the AIC-10 was up there with the best ones. Still, I had to bump up the bass by 6-8dB via EQ, then apply the corresponding overall compensation to reduce digital clipping, which in turn made the AIC-10 job in reaching decent listening volume with no distortion even tougher.

Now, with the TI-1a adapter coming out, I may be tempted to add the SR1a back to my stable ...
What was your impression with the SR1a / AIC-10 / TI-1a in terms of macrodynamics, bass quantity / quality and distortion at high sound pressure levels?

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #716 of 2,051
Sometimes I still miss the SR1a. I sold them after a year because I realized that the AIC-10 was not making them justice on several situations - to the point of reaching gross distortion on many conditions -, but when they were in their sweetspot the pairing was truly fantastic (e.g. simple solo acoustic music, small classical ensembles, some jazz - all at moderate SPL).

And the uniqueness of the SR1a experience - the sheer feeling of music popping out of nowhere - is undeniable.

I tried over a dozen high-end amplifiers with the SR1a, up to 30k stratospheric ones (DarTZeel CTH8550), and, tonality-wise, the AIC-10 was up there with the best ones. Still, I had to bump up the bass by 6-8dB via EQ, then apply the corresponding overall compensation to reduce digital clipping, which in turn made the AIC-10 job in reaching decent listening volume with no distortion even tougher.

Now, with the TI-1a adapter coming out, I may be tempted to add the SR1a back to my stable ...
What was your impression with the SR1a / AIC-10 / TI-1a in terms of macrodynamics, bass quantity / quality and distortion at high sound pressure levels?
So I don't listen at super high levels so I can't comment there but the sr1a were absolutely fully driven off of the aic-10 (I was able to abx them with a hsa-1b and the raal tube amp). 9bviousot sr1a roll off but the impact was fantastic as were the macro dynamics. The owner of them sr1a (we met up at a shop to demo a bunch of stuff with the box) also agreed that the aic-10 and wa33 both propperly powered them and he usesbthe raal tube ad his daily. To top this off, wr were even using the wrong cable and apparently presenting the amps with 2x the load they will see with the propper cable (the new box comes with a lower impedence cable). IMO, the aic-10 is incredibly viable with the new box and even a bit better than 5he raal tube and hsa-1b in terms of control, much the less detail and organicness

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #719 of 2,051
the sr1a is truly special...I have the TC and susvara and honestly I reach for the sr1a most often...the bass is obviously not as impactful as the other 2 but it is accurate and it is the most detailed..spacious HP I have ever heard with pinpoint imaging that is almost eerie...

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #720 of 2,051
Agreed the sr1as are special. The detail and resolution are amongst the best, if not the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back