Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 22, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #676 of 1,903
I’m disappointed in G73-R tubes. I’ve bought one tube. It sounded great, so I bought another one. Second tube had significant hiss in one channel, so I asked hanoitubes about replacement. He agreed and after some time I’ve got a new tube from him. During this time, the first tube began to hiss in one channel. Replacement tube was perfect at first, but few days ago it also started to hiss. Now I have two G73-Rs. One with hiss in left channel and one with hiss in right channel 🤣

Hiss is really quiet and probably would not be noticeable with less efficient headphones (I use Sol P via speaker terminals and LCD5 via HP-high), but I have other tubes to compare. Silver plate Mazdas, Tesla, BEL and even cheap RFT tube are completely quiet in my system. Given the price, I'm kind of disappointed. Too bad it's been too long since I bought it, otherwise I would have returned them.

I have no idea what's happened. Maybe I've been unlucky three times in a row, maybe these NOS tubes aren't really NOS after all.
The promise of NOS virginity is really hard to believe these days 🤣

I got tubes with no hiss but lcd-5 to sell, gosh I wish we could combine these problems to solve them 😅

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #677 of 1,903
(I use Sol P via speaker terminals and LCD5 via HP-high)
That us the opposite way I would have expected those to be used 😂

But damn man. That seriously sucks on the g73r. Anyone else having this issue? I just got mine in (pic below) and am pretty damn happy so far

20220421_132014.jpg

Tangent, but did yall receive the tube not in a box? Mine was in a bag and well packed other wise but would realy liked to have gotten a tube box just for my own storage tbh

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #678 of 1,903
I did have noise in one G73-R I recieved from hanoitubes, but it was replaced and no more issues. Although I only tried them for a few hours each. I'm mostly using the black text G73-R tubes I received from Italy. I have more than I need, 6 total G-73R, probably should sell some. 4 black and 2 red I have.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #679 of 1,903
I did have noise in one G73-R I recieved from hanoitubes, but it was replaced and no more issues. Although I only tried them for a few hours each. I'm mostly using the black text G73-R tubes I received from Italy. I have more than I need, 6 total G-73R, probably should sell some. 4 black and 2 red I have.
How many total variants? Tbh im getting more and more cutrious about these tubes the more I use mine today

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #682 of 1,903
How many total variants? Tbh im getting more and more cutrious about these tubes the more I use mine today
I've personally only seen two types in hand, and plus the one more in your photo of the more plain label with black text.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #683 of 1,903
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #684 of 1,903
Of course that must have been the version for the mrdical industry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
The two I received from hanoitubes were packed pretty well. Both in original tube cardboard box, with packing foam and more foam inside a slightly larger box.

The four black text G73-R I received from Italy were in one smallish pelican case with the custom foam cutouts for each and then in a larger box with lots of foam.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #687 of 1,903
Here is a picture of the handwritten ones.

0FDA8893-55A2-4561-9D54-915EE3BAA109.jpeg
I was under the impression that these were the same as the labeled versions (no way to tell which they are obviously) but were designated as replacement tubes or something

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #688 of 1,903
I was under the impression that these were the same as the labeled versions (no way to tell which they are obviously) but were designated as replacement tubes or something

I would be super surprised that a true German company in the 60‘s would just run out of labels. I am sure it was intentional, I just don‘t know the reason behind. But I have seen quite a few with handwritten text on them. I was just not keen of getting them because the label is an indicator of authenticity you can check.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #689 of 1,903
The two I received from hanoitubes were packed pretty well. Both in original tube cardboard box, with packing foam and more foam inside a slightly larger box.

The four black text G73-R I received from Italy were in one smallish pelican case with the custom foam cutouts for each and then in a larger box with lots of foam.
Nice nice. But beat this, mine came in a plastic bag 🤣

Attachments

• 651A535B-5556-4B90-99D6-0DEBDAD0017E.jpeg
    651A535B-5556-4B90-99D6-0DEBDAD0017E.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #690 of 1,903
Wow! I would be like to trade some black labels vs newer black labels for a week or so to see if they differ or not. Any of you live in EU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back