Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Dec 5, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,606 of 1,873
Work in progress. Acoustical treatment of my room may detract me from listening with headphones…
JBL Everests (or are they Klipsch, some what hard to tell?) Serious speakers, Very nice :sunglasses:

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #1,607 of 1,873
New to this thread and enjoying reading it back to back.. so much great info from everyone here. I have a unit en route and super excited (have few G73-R and 5814A tubes from other amps I’m exited to try when it arrives)

With speakers I used them on my Atc acm50 with ok results. No headroom but sweet sound with simple music.

May I ask how big is your room?

I have B&W 805 D3 with similar sensitivity (88)) and been wondering if this unit could drive them.

Also with 8 ohm nominal impedance but lower min of 4.6 ohm, I’m a bit concerned it may draw too much current and clip the amp. Would the AIC be able to handle such low impedance load?

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,608 of 1,873
Absolutely makes total sense. I do it with all components in terms of unplugging and plugging back in AC cables. Especially the streamer.

Ever notice how if you unplug your cable box and plug it back in the picture is better? I never did try disconnecting and disconnecting other cables.

Came across this as I read through the thread. Perhaps it’s mention later, but in case not:

Anyone worried about tube sockets can simply use a “socket saver” or “socket extender” (same thing). It’s debatable whether it introduces sound degradation (theoretically yes, anything added does; practically easy to test). Those are cheap and ubiquitous.

(Personally I don’t usually use them normally but had them when I needed for other reasons)

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #1,609 of 1,873
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,610 of 1,873
Dec 15, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #1,611 of 1,873
I've just finished reading 108 pages of this thread. Thoroughly enjoyable and so informative. What a wonderful thread 🙏

tubes on the pre stage would be a nice to have. Current DAC is a Bricasti M3 with no intention to change it out (can screw output right down with it as well).

I also have the Bricasti M3 and finding the pairing with AIC10 really great.

The Bricasti can be set as unity gain (line level) when vol is at 0db, so you can use any stage you want downstream from it (and, its own preamp is very clean if you evern need to use its volume, which I've done in the past directly to speaker amps).

Short update on the ‘SHARK TEETH’

I went back to my trusted 6211 for a short time and was surprised that it did not leave me fully satisfied, I am still on the Mullard and it is the most universal an complete Mullard tube I do own. It does have very nice details a punchy full bottom end and a relaxed and at the very same time lyrical presentation.

After a few days with the stock tube, I switched to G73-R (have that from another amp I've used it on, so was already broken in). I liked it but in my own chain it didn't give me the aha moment I was hoping for (the predicament of buildling too much expectation perhaps; I will have to revisit it). Today, I put in a pristine NOS Mullard M8136 (picked it up a couple years ago). It is really excellent. Not overly warm, but slightly added "texture" and slightly improved resolution and expanded soundstage. Since it is in its first hours, I'm sure it will change over the coming days, I'm curious how it will evolve.

I have no idea whether it is "shark teeth" or something different, here are the pictures. If anyone recognizes will be happy to note what it is properly (based on its code, it is a 1967 Mitcham factory):

1702699462022.png

As far as tweaking, I've also played with some power cables, and at this point settled on the Nordost Heidmall 2. This is a cable that with other headphone amps I've deprioritized as it was never my favorite synergy, but with the AIC it brings an extra speed and clarity and perhaps a touch of air and openness, which works currently very well with the above tube and my DAC.

It is a hexagonal Allen wrench, size H2.0

I had the same funny moment when I unpacked and realized the screwdriver didn't match the cover screws (it's for the remote). Funny and kind of a weird little oversight. But any simple Allen wrench size 2 will do.

Those who say the HD800 don't have bass haven't heard them with the XA25

After a nonstop week with the Susvara, this prompted me to put the HD800s on. Very unexpected bass with the AIC. Totally agree these headphones can be driven to a higher level of performance. I probably still prefer them on an OTL but the bass here is very punchy and lower than I've heard it before.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Spatial Audio X3 speakers. They're rated for 8 ohms/97db sensitivity. Do you guys think the Riviera can handle these?
I'm thinking of pairing AIC with a 93db 4ohm speakers, any thoughts from folks here on how it'll handle such a load?

I was really wondering if the AIC would be damaged if I tried to use it with my B&W 805 D3. They're 888 db, but more importantly, nominal impedance of 8ohm that drops to a minimum of 4.6ohm (they overloaded a prior speaker amp). I emailed Silvio to check in advance and he assured me this will be fine. And they are. In fact, in my big and helplessly unfitting room (made for living room and not listening), they are driven very well. I need to figure out how to switch my active sub to a passive one so I can add it (previously all ran directly from DAC).

On that - has anyone run speak cables out in parallel to both speakers and subwoofer? is that ok and any issues?

Thanks for all your insights - and very nice to catch up with everyone's prior experiences. Hope to add my own.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #1,612 of 1,873
I was really wondering if the AIC would be damaged if I tried to use it with my B&W 805 D3. They're 888 db, but more important nominal 8ohn that dropes to a min of 4.6ohm (they overloaded a prior speaker amp). I emailed Silvio to check in advance and he assured me this will be fine. And they are. In fact, in my big and helplessly unfitting room (made for living room and not listening), they are driven very well.
Congrats on the AIC-10!
I tried driving various speakers with the AIC-10, and they shone when paired with high sensitivity speakers (such as Devore O/96).
They were adequate with lower sensitivity speakers, but when I switched to a higher output amplifier(s) it revealed their lack of power and headroom.
I’m sure your B&Ws will sound much better paired with a higher output amplifier (Riviera’s 50W monoblocks would sound sublime with them).
It’s not about clipping, but more a sense of ease and headroom, more controlled bass and less compressed dynamics that you get when you have more power to drive speakers.
Actually, it’s very similar with headphones :).

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,614 of 1,873
Funny that you bring these up because they are high on my list of desired speakers. How would you describe the pairing between O/96 and AIC10?
The O/96 are very special speakers, they have all the audiophile traits, some more some less, but most important they sound very immediate and live.
I also like the O/baby for a smaller budget. Which actually does a few things better than the O/96, specifically with mid and mid-high frequencies, but lacks the body and bass of thr O/96.

Regarding the pairing between the AIC-10 and the O/96, the AIC-10 drives the O/96 very well and both create a warm and inviting sound. The AIC-10 adds a bit of color to the mid and midbass frequencies, which the O/96 already have a certain bump. Is it too much of a good thing? I think it’s a matter of taste, but they sound very good together.
Personally, I found the O/96 to match extremely well with well-made tube SET amps, YMMV.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,616 of 1,873
So far I've tried the G73r, Brimar CV4003 and a french made Mazda.

What else people recommend I try? Looking for something to contrast the linearity of the G73R and have more emphasis on tube characteristics and holographic presentation.

Any favorite power cables? So far I've been using a Synergistic Research UEF Blue.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #1,617 of 1,873
So far I've tried the G73r, Brimar CV4003 and a french made Mazda.

What else people recommend I try? Looking for something to contrast the linearity of the G73R and have more emphasis on tube characteristics and holographic presentation.

Any favorite power cables? So far I've been using a Synergistic Research UEF Blue.

I've rolled in today a Siemens 5814A (be warned these are hard to source). It was very good, but more in the vein of the G73r - very linear and resolving (it is a superb tube; there are some variants of it).

I ended up rolling back the Mullard 8136 which I absolutely love. It has more of that tube character, warmer with fuller body (in what to my ears is very pleasing) and hologrpahic. So far my vavorite (I'll have to revisit the G73r, I didn't connect to it on first listen, but I'm sure I've missed on a good thing).

I use the Nordost Heimdall 2 power cable. I've had it for awhile, and it has not been a favoite with my other amps, but with the AIC10 things change - it brings a bit more clarity and opennes to the upper frequencies, which I found to eb a great synergy wtih this amp.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #1,618 of 1,873
The AIC10 with the Tungsten (off speaker taps) is just sublime. Highly recommended!

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,619 of 1,873
Hello everybody, new AIC10 Bal owner.
I would need some help in choosing a new DAC.
Currently using the TT2/MScaler but I would like to upgrade.
I have read all the 109 pages.....and I noticed that most of you use either the Dave, DCS and some of you the Mola Mola Tambaqui.
Any recommandations?

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,620 of 1,873
Hello everybody, new AIC10 Bal owner.
I would need some help in choosing a new DAC.
Currently using the TT2/MScaler but I would like to upgrade.
I have read all the 109 pages.....and I noticed that most of you use either the Dave, DCS and some of you the Mola Mola Tambaqui.
Any recommandations?
Hello I'm a AIC10 owner with Susvara headphones current DAC is DCS Bartok but looking to upgrade at some point to DCS Rossini apex . Really pleased with current set up but got the urge for more/better .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back