Ripping SACD audio
May 25, 2004 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Leto Atreides II

500+ Head-Fier
If I were to try to rip an SACD to wav, in a DVDROM drive, would I be getting the standard 44.1kHZ layer, or the 96kHZ layer? Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing? (I have soundcard that supports 96kHZ, btw)

May 25, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 36
You can't RIP a pure SACD to WAV because the drive wouldn't be able to read the infomation as it's protected.

If it has a CD layer as well as SACD (aka hybrid), your rip will be redbook which is 44.1khz

May 25, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 36
Last time I checked there was no such software available for personal user! Even if such software existed, converting Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoded SACD to Pulse Code Modulation based format would defeat the purpose of DSD. My recommendation is to either use CD layer (if it is hybrid) to rip it to mp3. If you have SACD only disk then you can use your soundcard's ADC (=analog-in) to convert to PCM based wave file then convert to mp3.

May 25, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 36
It is possible, but the only way to do it is to connect the analog outputs of the SACD player to the inputs on a high quality sound card. I might give this a shot on my 1212m with DVD-A. If I do, I'll post my results.

May 25, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 36
Well, it was mostly just an idea. Nothing I like listening too is on SACD anyway.

May 25, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
It is possible, but the only way to do it is to connect the analog outputs of the SACD player to the inputs on a high quality sound card. I might give this a shot on my 1212m with DVD-A. If I do, I'll post my results.

As crazy as this might sound to some, this might actually work. You'd proberly have to do a little to square up the signal somwhat. And reclocking would be a must.

edit: now that I think of it I doubt it will work.

May 26, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 36
jefe: Have you read his post properly? He's going the analogue way - of course that'll work.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 26, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 36
How would his DVD-ROM be decoding the SACD layer anyway? If the SACD is single-layer, it wouldn't even play at all on his PC. If it is a hybrid SACD also containing a redbook layer, it should be able to be ripped just as a regular redbook CD.

Trying to record the SACD layer by outputting from an SACD player's analog-outs to the soundcards analog inputs seems like it would defeat the reason for SACD in the first place (quality-wise), unless you are just trying to get a single-layer SACD's contents onto your PC somehow.

May 26, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
jefe: Have you read his post properly? He's going the analogue way - of course that'll work.

I screwed up my post but didn't want to delete it. SACD was designed so that analog could be created by merely lowpass filtering the digital stream. I was intrigued by the possibility of somehow undoing the filtering and recreating the digital stream. Of course, that's not possible. But, yeah, analog out to analog in always works.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
...would I be getting the standard 44.1kHZ layer, or the 96kHZ layer? (I have soundcard that supports 96kHZ, btw)

There's no 96-kHz layer on SACDs anyway. The SACD's storage format, DSD, consists of a 2.8224-MHz data stream with just 1 bit word length and isn't compatible with (L)PCM. What you could do with a high-quality soundcard (and a high-quality SACD player) is to record the analog signal with 24 bit/96 kHz -- that way you could preserve some of the SACD's higher resolution compared to redbook. But this may nevertheless not make much sense, since you would get better sound directly from your SACD player. If the SACD is hybrid and your intention is to make MP3s from it, ripping the redbook layer is the way to go.

peacesign.gif

May 26, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 36

May 26, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 36
SACD has several levels of encryption, so even if you could get the bits off the disc, you can't decode easily it. You can't reburn it onto another DVD either, because one of the keys is encoded in the physical pit spacing. Another key is in a technically illegal section of the physical DVD format, so it would be hard to get to it.

--Andre

May 26, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtcheapii
I have download more 40 album of SACD music off the net. all of them use EAC program
here is one of SACD ripping imformation

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

That info tells you its not in SACD. It is 16 bit 44.1 WAV, which is normal PCM.

May 26, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
That info tells you its not in SACD. It is 16 bit 44.1 WAV, which is normal PCM.

but the original cd is SACD . i KNOW IT FOR SURE. COS EVERY ELBUM I GOT It HAD INCLUDED CD COVER IT SAID THE CD IS SACD.

May 26, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtcheapii
but the original cd is SACD . i KNOW IT FOR SURE. COS EVERY ELBUM I GOT It HAD INCLUDED CD COVER IT SAID THE CD IS SACD.

Some SACD discs have both SACD- and wav-files. When you run the disc in a computer it will read the wav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back