RIP Stupid Cat I Loved
Apr 9, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #18 of 65
I'm sorry
frown.gif
. I lost my dog last year and was depressed for a long while after. And then when you go to the pet store you realize that the others just aren't the same. You just don't feel connected with them like you do with that pet you've had so many years...

Best of luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry
frown.gif
. I lost my dog last year and was depressed for a long while after. And then when you go to the pet store you realize that the others just aren't the same. You just don't feel connected with them like you do with that pet you've had so many years...

Best of luck. I hope you feel better soon.

yes. so true. i know plenty of people that say just get another pet. but so wrong. every pet is unique and completely irreplaceable. when my shih-tzu of 10+ years died. i was very inconsolable for a long time. for a good year, i was sad often. the only thing that made me a little less unhappy was staring at old photos of her. i made a collage of every picture i could find. that helped, a little. also, i sought out support groups on the web. just a place where i could talk and vent. that helped a bit as well. it is good to talk about it. it wil lead to a healthy mourning process. nothing tougher than the loss of a loved one, be it person or pet.

be strong and be sad, as you have good reason to be.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 65
Sorry about your loss. I have three black cats. I call them the black cat gang. All of them were strays we rescued and they hang out together and give us many laughs. There are always homeless animals needing a home. I know the next animal wont be the same but each one has a unique personality and you soon appeciate their individuality and strengths.

Chip aka Mr.Personality

HPIM0443.jpg

HPIM0460.jpg

Jet the Diva

HPIM0291.jpg

HPIM0307.jpg

Baby Kitty the thief

Picture061.jpg

We just rescued/ adopted another cat recently that showed up in the neighbors engine compartment from somewhere they stopped. This cat has been severly injured at some point and has had broken ribs that protrude on the cats left side. The neighbors asked me if this cat was our black and white cat, Oreo. Unfortunately/ fortuntely, I petted the cat and the cat followed me home. The cat would not leave the garage and hid for three days. Finally, we gained the cats trust and now she is inside and growing more comfortable all the time. This cat has a BIG mouth and is always vocal. She is very dominant and has claimed the bed. She likes to sleep upside down.
blink.gif
We named the cat Jeep because that is how she came here. Trust me a replacement will appear. Not the same .... but very likely equally loveable. Hang in there.
wink.gif

Jeep the Mouth

HPIM0586.jpg

HPIM0561.jpg

HPIM0558.jpg

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 65
I would like to send my condolences as well. It always amazes me how close people get to their pets, me included. Losing a pet is difficult enough, but having to see your poor little kitty in the street must have been just heart-wrenching.

Thanks for sharing the stories about your cat and the photos. You mentioned in your original post that you weren't sure why you were posting your news. I don't know you from David, but I can truly feel sorry for you and can definitely relate to your grieving. Stories like this do put things into perspective, at least for me. I was justing thinking to myself how much I "need" a certain audio component. I think I will log off the computer and go play with my two dogs instead.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #23 of 65
*hugs*

I have two black cats (one looks kind of like yours, the other is a puffball). They're my kids. I adopted both almost six years ago. They seem happy. I'm going to miss them something terrible when they're gone, but atleast they're happy right now. I guess we just need to remember the happy times we had with them. Doesn't mean we don't miss them when they're gone (I know I'll be more broken up about Peanut dying than I was about my great aunt dying, terrible I know). I'll spare us the Peanut kidney stone story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember all the good times you had with cat. You really did save her when she was a kitten and gave her a much better life than she would have had.

If you're interested in another cat...lemme know. x.X;

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 65
I'm sorry about your loss, Boomana. I lost one of my cats the same way years ago (had to recover the body, too) and I know how hard it is. There is nothing we can do or say to make this easier for you, but remember you have friends here to console you. Remember the little terror's quirks with fondness. Just like any member of the family, you never really forget. I know I don't.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 65
Hi Vicki,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
frown.gif
My wife and I have 7 pets, 3 cats and 4 parrots. Each one is a full member of the family and are like children to us. Hell, they are our children. The loss of any one of them would be totally heartbreaking.

Take a little time to get over it a bit. Then go adopt a kitten or cat from a shelter. It won't be a replacement, but soon you'll have another pet to love and who loves you.

Hang in there.

Regards,

-ken

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 65
Sorry for your loss Vicky. I suggest another cat as soon as you feel ready, it usually helps alot.

I had a black cat that looked alot like yours, except with only the stub of a tail. I rescued her from a cardboard box outside a shopping mall when she was a scant 4 or 5 weeks old. She had a bald area around her neck apparently from a rope
frown.gif
and was very frightened, but became the most affectionate cat I have ever had the pleasure to know.

Perhaps you could rescue a kitten from abuse and she can rescue you from the sorrow of your loss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 65
Thank you, everyone. Honestly, I felt really foolish starting a thread at 3AM about my dead cat (I fortunately have some practice in the fool dept., so it didn't stop me), but I was a big mess alone in my home and your kind words here, and in email and pms, have really helped. I especially like the pictures and stories of your pets.

All my neighbors have been coming around since they heard. She was sort of a neighborhood mascot (she was a real character) and they've been telling funny stories I never knew. I learned that she ate some wonderful smoked Salmon for lunch yesterday, so that's good.

Okay, I'll stop or I'm going to start crying again, and I'm really sick of that. So, thanks again. Though I won't be ready for a long time, as many of you have said, another kitty will find me when it's time.

Vicki

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #28 of 65
Sorry to hear of your loss. My best buddy is my cat Elijah that I've had for 9 years now. Fortunately he's an indoor cat. He also sleeps with his head on my leg, comes when I call him, and is a great companion. He also insist on drinking from the faucet. He lets the water run off of his head into his mouth.
You can't tell from the picture, but he's a big boy...18 pounds. He's not fat, just long and tall.

Oh and though it's hard to tell he has gorgeous Blue/Lavander eyes.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 65
My condolences boomana. I've been in that same place, removing one of our cats from the road. It hurts. A lot. But it does get better eventually, and when you are ready, rescuing another critter from a life in a shelter or worse can make you and it feel better. And the weird thing my wife and I always notice - the new cat/dog will show some little behaviour that is a stark reminder of our lost friend, and we swear it's because the departed one is sending it messages from beyond. Because of that we always have a little bit of our old friend still with us, and it ends up being strangely comforting. If you find that getting a new cat is the way to go, you'll see reminders of your old friend and in that way he'll still be alive with you.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back