RIP Stupid Cat I Loved
Apr 9, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, everyone. Honestly, I felt really foolish starting a thread at 3AM about my dead cat (I fortunately have some practice in the fool dept., so it didn't stop me), but I was a big mess alone in my home and your kind words here, and in email and pms, have really helped. I especially like the pictures and stories of your pets.

All my neighbors have been coming around since they heard. She was sort of a neighborhood mascot (she was a real character) and they've been telling funny stories I never knew. I learned that she ate some wonderful smoked Salmon for lunch yesterday, so that's good.

Okay, I'll stop or I'm going to start crying again, and I'm really sick of that. So, thanks again. Though I won't be ready for a long time, as many of you have said, another kitty will find me when it's time.

Vicki

No need to feel foolish. We lost one of our two cats at the time to coyotes in 1998. I cried on and off for a full week. He was really my cat. I still miss old Spike from time to time. Coyotes are a real problem here in SB. Ever since all of our cats are indoor only cats.

A couple of months afterwards, we adopted a kitten from the local CATS shelter. He sure isn't Spike, but Bogart is a great cat on his own. And you know what, he's really become my cat too. He loves me still even though we've since gotten 4 birds and another cat.

-Ken

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Thank you, everyone. Honestly, I felt really foolish starting a thread at 3AM about my dead cat (I fortunately have some practice in the fool dept., so it didn't stop me), but I was a big mess alone in my home and your kind words here, and in email and pms, have really helped. I especially like the pictures and stories of your pets.

All my neighbors have been coming around since they heard. She was sort of a neighborhood mascot (she was a real character) and they've been telling funny stories I never knew. I learned that she ate some wonderful smoked Salmon for lunch yesterday, so that's good.

Okay, I'll stop or I'm going to start crying again, and I'm really sick of that. So, thanks again. Though I won't be ready for a long time, as many of you have said, another kitty will find me when it's time.

Vicki

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Vicki. I too unfortunately have first hand experience with how much losing a pet sucks. No reason to feel foolish. Sometimes the best medicine is to be able to vent and let it out.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 65
Let me add my condolences to all of those here. I sure can understand your pain. Pets are family members. They are as much a part of our lives as any other family member, be they human, four legged, or feathered. We've talked a little before about being middle school teachers. In many ways my relationship with my beloved cat Simon reminds me of my relationship with my students! You have to totally accept them for what they are & they make no appologies for being anything but what they are! You either love them with all their little eccentricities or you miss the pleasure of knowing and adoring them! And what a joy to have known that kind of love because it is by far the most pure and unconditional love there is. So as you mourn don't forget to treasure the privelage you have had to know & love his soul.

My Monster, Simon!
DSC00770.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 65
Vicki, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I think some people that don't have pets don't realize just how much a part of the family they become, no matter how much of a pain in the butt they can be.

I had a dog that I brought home from a ski trip to Colorado a while back. His name was Guinness, was a mutt and he was the greatest dog. Unfortunately, he had a chronic illness that required meds everyday. I can't tell you how many times I cleaned up after him over the years. I would have gladly continued to do it had he lived. He died two years ago this May. We all were in mourning for quite a while and still think about him daily.

misc100017.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #35 of 65
Hi Vicki,

I'm sorry to read about this. Such a terrible way to lose a pet.

I lost one of my cats to a Pit Bull attack about 4 years ago...the damn dog ripped through my wooden fence to get to her...long story, I'll spare you.

I lost a male cat about 3 years ago due to old age (he was about 15)...then just about 6 months ago, a baby from the previous 2 cats passed due to old age at almost 19 years old(Shelby)- she went downhill very slowly but I was with her when she passed...oh boy! did I cry like a baby.

I love cats. I love dogs. I'm a sucker for animals. I've seen over 35 kittens being born from mostly cats I've owned...6 from a stray that I knew was due soon...it was cold and rainy that day...yup, Dane brought her in and before I knew it I had 6 kittens in the middle of my living room floor.

I have six 5 week-old kittens right now at my office.(family business, we're all suckers).

Here's Max(rescued from a nearby business/as a kitten)

Recent Pic of Max:

IMG_0519.jpg

Shelby on her 18th Bday:

My Sheltie as a puppy:

My other dog as a puppy ( Miniature American Eskimo/ Poodle mix)

"new friends"(with my only other cat Church)

thanks for lookin'
cool.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #36 of 65
Sorry to hear of your loss, It is always hard when you lose a pet(yes they are a member of the family) I can't even list all the animals that I've lost through the years. but I've been living in this house for over 20 years and we have our own pet cemetary that has at least 3 dogs (Irish Setter, Springer Spanial and our Chow) 3 or 4 cats, a few fish, a parakeet and a 4-1/2 foot iguana that I had for over 8 years.
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #37 of 65
My heartfelt condolences, Boom.
frown.gif
As a fellow cat-lover, I know what it's like to lose a cherished pet. Over the past several years, I've lost quite a few due to illness. I presently have a 3 year old Calico that is a total pain in the butt, but I know I'd miss her if she was wasn't with me anymore. Remember the good times you have with them, I feel. Peace!

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Vicki

How true.

My wife's cat had to be put down a few years ago. She was devastated. The next day, I asked I she would like to go look at kittens. She said no, but I went to the local PetSmart, which was having an adoption drive. Just before I left for PetSmart, her aunt arrived to comfort my wife. Her aunt explained that North American Indians (which they are) believe that animals are reborn, their souls return in the body of another animal.

Anyway, I got to PetSmart, and there was a beautiful Calico that looked quite a bit like my wife's recently deceased cat. I thought that maybe she might like to see it, so I returned home and told her that she might want to go look if she was up to it, no pressure. She agreed.

We get to the store and my wife fell in love with the kitten, but was hedging a bit, probably not really ready for another cat so soon. She asked the foster 'parent' the kitten's name, and the reply was "Casey". My wife looked at me, without hesitation, and said "I want her". You see, the cat she had just lost was named KC, which is phonetically very similar to Casey. This after just discussing the cat 'reincarnation' thing with her aunt. Sort of an errie coincidence, like it was meant to be. We also adopted Casey's litter-mate JoJo, the same day.

Casey (on the right) and JoJo:

kitties2pb2.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 65
Really sorry for your loss, boomana
frown.gif
Cats are wonderful companions and although at times they baffle us, we can't live without them. Hopefully you'll adopt another cat that brings you as much joy, even if in completely different ways.

I just adopted a cat from one of my boyfriend's friends, a now 2-year old tabby that hated me when I first ran into her nearly a year ago. Actually she hated everybody it seems. But now she seems almost like a whole 'nother cat, being very affectionate and friendly. She also makes a great companion for my boyfriend's cat, too. I've only had her a month but already couldn't imagine not seeing her when I come home every day.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #40 of 65
We collectively feel your pain. Many of us have been where you are and nothing we say will take away the loss and hurt you feel right now. But we're here for you.

Try to savour and remember those memories, especially the things that made you smile and laugh. And keep those pictures close.

You'll never forget your wondeful friend. You're lucky to have been so fortunate to have a cat like that.

Our thoughts are with you.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #41 of 65
Vicki,

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I know that nothing can bring your friend back, but my thoughts are with you. We have 6 cats and 4 dogs and have always seemed to have them around since my wife and I"ve been together. We've had our fair share of losses, and they always are hard on the family.

My thoughts are with you.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #43 of 65
You guys are wonderful. I can't believe how much just reading your posts has helped me, especially the pictures of your pets. I would think that they would make me sadder, but instead, I feel grateful and a lot calmer.

My brother and sister-in-law drove in from Michigan (planned visit I forgot about), so I have good company today and for the rest of the week.

Thanks again. I gotta try and get some sleep. Work tomorrow. Life goes on.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #44 of 65
Geez. Those photos are heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a sad thread, but it is a very fine tribute to your cat and that's a wonderful thing.

I hope you feel better soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back