RikuBuds Hangout
Nov 13, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #121 of 144
Firstly i would like to start by thanking @RikudouGoku for having been kind enough to send me these two earbuds , The Alter Rider 3 and Saber 3.

Also I feel privileged that he deems my opinion worthy and as such it was with enthusiasm that I made this review.

For further information concerning purchasing please note the following links:
https://rikubuds.com/generation-3/
https://www.instagram.com/rikubuds/
IMG20231112105841.jpg

IMG20231112105843.jpg

Secondly let me say I am no expert when it comes the earbuds, truthfully I don't consider myself an expert in IEMs either, I simply listen , confirm if what I have shoved into my ears pleases my senses and then proceed to express my opinion as best as i can using my musical preferences, my equipment and obviously my ear anatomy!

When it comes to Earbuds the make or brake moniker is very true, as the fit will determine the success or failure of the listening experience.

With regards to this I can say I am lucky, my ears are receptive to earbuds and as such I was able to make a correct judgement concerning the Alter Rider 3 and Saber 3.

The accessories that the earbuds are provided with, are ample and satisfied my needs:
White foams , High density, add warmth/bass
Red foams , Med density, balanced sound
Black foams , Low density, make the sound brighter.
All that's left is to foam roll and see what suits your preferences better.

The cable provided is of good quality even if non detachable and that leads to a 15.4mm driver which is either Titanium diaphragmed in the Alter or LCP in the Saber.

There's also a impedance variance between the two models, Alter is 32ohm and Saber 64ohm.

Now what makes the Alter 3 and Saber 3 special is the Soundsphere technology.
To not overcomplicate , the inside of the 3D printed shell has some baffling, cleverly designed to reduce unwanted resonances, by braking down and or re orienting the sound waves created by the drivers motion.
This has the effect of increasing the clarity with which the drivers play, but also improves imagining and Soundstage.
In my books, this sort of technical prowess sits right along side the wave guide system that Smabat uses, and although both are very unique, I'll give Riku the win, the guy is a small diyer...respect!

The Alter 3 and Saber 3 are exceptional when it comes to tonality, meaning that both are quite versatile in the music genres they can support, although the darker nature and bass richer Alter 3 can make it shine with EDM , Rock, while the Saber 3 will feel at home with Jazz and Classic.

Bass of this duo is of excellent quality while quantity is ample, the Alter 3 sounding a little warmer due to slightly less uppermids and treble energy.
Either way the sub-bass is present but focus remains on mid-bass which is truly exceptional.
Both exhibit very good texture, speed, no noticeable bleed into the mids, just very engaging and well executed bass.

The mids are the star of the show, and with the almost absence of bass bleed , they come across clean, full bodied , providing that typical earbud musicality.
The Alter 3 is a smidge darker while the Saber 3 a little brighter, but whichever one you choose , vocals are always simply amazing.

The highs complement the mids , by offering the right energy, minimal sibilance and no harshness.
Instruments have a natural sound to them, with everything just being very musicaly correct.
Worth mentioning that the Saber 3 with its extra amount of treble can edge out slightly the Alter 3 when it comes to detail retrieval and that sense of Air.

Technicalities are another area which impressed me.
Soundstage is as expected from earbuds, large, more on the Saber than in the Alter Rider , although the difference to my ears seems to be more in the height.

Imaging on either one is again good , most tracks being easily resolved and broken down, even when complex.
But for me the technicality that stands out is how good timbre and tonality are.
They just sound so organic and real that it definitely makes them stand out.

Comparisons where made with some of my favourite earbuds, KSEarphones LBBS, Smabat M4 + Super One Module , VE Asura 3.0FE, Dunu Alpha 3, among a few others.
All have their magic, some being a true earbud representation, Asura, while others give me some IEM vibes, Smabat.

The Rikubuds are in my opinion and considering my personal taste an almost perfect pair of earbuds, the Alter gives me the Bass and warmth I like , the Saber the vocals and openne
ss I appreciate, both bring a huge smile to my face!

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #122 of 144
I received my RikuBuds Saber 3 yesterday. First impressions are...wow.

Firstly, build quality is really good. The shell is light, smooth, and well-built. The cable is sturdy and never gets tangled up. My only complaint is that it is non-detachable. Fit and comfort are perfect. Finally, an earbud that fits me properly! It feels like it was custom-made for my ears.

As for sound, I am currently using the stock white foam. I haven't tried the blue or black foam yet, but I will eventually. The subbass is really good for a bud. On certain tracks, it can go surprisingly deep. You won't feel it, mind you, but it still goes quite low. The mid-bass is boosted a bit, which I like. On some tracks, it can bleed into the mids, but otherwise it has a nice impact. The midrange is really nice, too. Even though the 2 kHz region is recessed (and normally this would bother me), it actually doesn't bug me here because the emphasized lower mids add pleasantness and warmth to the tone. What I was most worried about, though, was the treble. Every bud I've tried so far has had a 5 kHz peak, due to poor fit or just the sound signature itself. Thankfully, there are none to be found, which made me really happy. And the upper treble is not peaky either, which is usually the first thing I notice when listening. Actually, I find it to be somewhat recessed, but not to the point of being dull.

I will post a full review soon, but I will say this is the best bud I've heard so far.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #123 of 144
After a few days with the stock white foam, I decided to try out the blue foam, or medium-density foam. Simply put, the sound out of these is much more aligned to what I consider to be "correct." Plus, it seems to fit Riku's description of Saber 3 more accurately to my ears.

• Boosted sub/mid-bass? Mid-bass is boosted with the blue foam, but not to the point of being boomy like stock. Subbass seems better extended here too, but it could be due to a better fit or because the mid-bass in stock masked the sound.
  • Forward female vocals? More forward here, for sure, but not shouty. Stock foam suffered from a major 2kHz dip, while the blue foam brings it up and sounds relatively in line with what I consider to be neutral.
  • Smooth and somewhat dark treble? A bit brighter than stock, but still very smooth.

So, yeah, I'd like to stock up on the medium density, just gotta see where I can get them. As for the black/low-density foam, I ripped them all when trying to put them on :sweat_smile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #124 of 144
I bought the Rikubuds Grand Alter Saber 3 at full price.

Riku1.jpg

This utilizes a RG39-1 shell, with a 15.4 mm light blue PET driver. It has a whopping 180 ohm impedance and 118 dB/mW sensitivity (thus being rather hard to drive, and needs an amp to scale the sonics optimally).

Very comfortable, sitting in the tragal notch nicely. First impressions before burn-in are that this is tuned neutral with a mid-bass boost. Something akin to warm neutral.

Bass is speedy with minimal bleed, very textured and clean. It is mid-bass focused, with a sub-bass roll-off as per most flatheads. Upper mids are forwards without shoutiness. Treble is on the smoother side but with still quite decent resolution. Quite balanced tuning overall.

Timbre is organic for acoustic instruments. Technicalities seem quite good on first listening, but need to do further burn-in and A/B comparisons against other earbud rivals. Quite a promising earbud.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #125 of 144
I bought the Rikubuds Grand Alter Saber 3 at full price.

Riku1.jpg

This utilizes a RG39-1 shell, with a 15.4 mm light blue PET driver. It has a whopping 180 ohm impedance and 118 dB/mW sensitivity (thus being rather hard to drive, and needs an amp to scale the sonics optimally).

Very comfortable, sitting in the tragal notch nicely. First impressions before burn-in are that this is tuned neutral with a mid-bass boost. Something akin to warm neutral.

Bass is speedy with minimal bleed, very textured and clean. It is mid-bass focused, with a sub-bass roll-off as per most flatheads. Upper mids are forwards without shoutiness. Treble is on the smoother side but with still quite decent resolution. Quite balanced tuning overall.

Timbre is organic for acoustic instruments. Technicalities seem quite good on first listening, but need to do further burn-in and A/B comparisons against other earbud rivals. Quite a promising earbud.

Have been testing the Grand Alter Saber 3 the whole of today, it reminds me of the Sony IER M9 IEM tonally. Warm neutral and extremely well-balanced. Textured bass with smooth treble and clear midrange.

Timbre is organic, and timbre freaks will love this department.
While testing on technicalities, the imaging is quite pinpoint especially when amped, with good layering and instrument separation. Soundstage is also out of the head when amplified.

Over the next few days, will do some A/B testing against other TOTL earbuds in my collection, but this is certainly one of the nicest earbuds I've tried so far in my flathead journey. Perhaps only bassheads will find an issue with the sub-bass excursion.

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #126 of 144
I, too, got a GAS3, but in MMCX. If you're on the Discord I posted a mini-review.
PXL_20240108_164254725.jpg

For those of you not in there, I'll keep it very short and sweet. I tried all of my common musical genres - That being, symphonic poems, breakcore, DnB, rock, and eurobeat. You want vocals, you will get them. As mentioned by others, timbre is near or at TOTL levels. Bass won't satiate a quantity-over-quality basshead like me, but it's present enough that any decent master will have audible, lovely textured bass. It's not excessively tight, especially for an earbud.

My previous earbud shells didn't fit in my ears comfortably. I can get a solid 3 to 4 hours of earbud use with the "39" styled shell before getting any significant discomfort that distracts me from my music. I think I'll use these pretty often.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #127 of 144
The Saber 3 is an L-shaped bassy and warm earbud.

1.jpeg

Sports a comfortable RG39-1 shell that sits ergonomically in the intertragal groove, with a 15.4 mm PET and LCP done composite DD.

Can be driven off weaker sources (64 ohm impedance, 107 dB/mW sensitivity), but definitely will scale better with amplification, in terms of bass tightness and soundstage.

Early days, but from an hour's listening session with these puppies, I find the Saber 3 reminds me of a flathead version of the Final E3000/E5000 IEM. When amped well, the Saber 3 sounds very natural in timbre, thicker note weight, with big bass that approaches basshead levels for a flathead (using full dense stock foams). Great bass thump for bassy tracks. Upper mids are forwards but smooth. Treble is on the dark side, very non-fatiguing. Technicalities are very decent for a darkish signature, with soundstage that is expansive, though perhaps not the most micro-detailed say compared to other Rikubuds I've tried (perhaps a function of a toned down treble).

Folks who want a creamy, smooth and bassy signature should check this out! Will compare it against the benchmark warm king Yinman 600 ohm and report back, but from initial impressions, this earbud is definitely easier to drive and seems a bit more technical than the Yinmans.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #128 of 144
Hey All, I just got on the wait-list for a GAS3!:ksc75smile:

Please post your rikubud photos here!

While I have an idea for the color way to order (blue left / red right, no O-ring), I'd love some inspiration for other options, in case something else grabs my fancy!
Show us what you have :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #129 of 144
Hey All, I just got on the wait-list for a GAS3!:ksc75smile:

Please post your rikubud photos here!

While I have an idea for the color way to order (blue left / red right, no O-ring), I'd love some inspiration for other options, in case something else grabs my fancy!
Show us what you have :)
pst, you can find pics in my site scrolling down a bit.
https://rikubuds.com/

Or in my instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/rikubuds/

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #130 of 144
Here's a review of the Rikubuds Grand Alter Saber 3:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rikubuds-grand-alter-saber-3.26997/reviews#review-32849

Saber 5.jpg

Pros:
Generous accessories
Light and ergonomic
Class-leading timbre
Warm neutral tonality, very balanced
Excellent technicalities

Cons:
Balanced/detachable cable comes at added cost
Requires amplification for optimal sonics
Not for bassheads

TLDR: this is the earbud version of the legendary Sony IER-M9 IEM, furnishing a warm-neutral tonality with superb timbre and solid imaging/soundstage. Very pleasant and balanced. Not for bassheads though, and does require amplification to scale, due to high impedance.

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #131 of 144
Nice review @baskingshark. I was looking at these, cuz I have to get a Riku bud for my next pair of flats. I'm not a bass head, I'm a jazz listener. I do however love to hear those strings slap on the double bass.

Do you think they're good for jazz? Americana as well?

Edit: Actually the Saber 3 sounds more for what I'm looking for. Some bass with a warm top end. That sounds really good actually.

Thank you for posting your impressions about these riku buds

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #132 of 144
Nice review @baskingshark. I was looking at these, cuz I have to get a Riku bud for my next pair of flats. I'm not a bass head, I'm a jazz listener. I do however love to hear those strings slap on the double bass.

Do you think they're good for jazz? Americana as well?

Edit: Actually the Saber 3 sounds more for what I'm looking for. Some bass with a warm top end. That sounds really good actually.

Thank you for posting your impressions about these riku buds

I would recommend the Grand Alter Saber 3 for jazz actually. Around 30% of my playlist is jazz and this set does well with this genre.

The Saber 3 is a bit too bassy/coloured for jazz IMO, I find the bass is too boosted to make the double bass overly predominant in the FR. But of course YMMV, some are purists, some are bassheads.

Having said that, maybe you can contact @RikudouGoku , and I'm sure he can customize a set to suit your tastes for jazz.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #133 of 144
I would recommend the Grand Alter Saber 3 for jazz actually. Around 30% of my playlist is jazz and this set does well with this genre.

The Saber 3 is a bit too bassy/coloured for jazz IMO, I find the bass is too boosted to make the double bass overly predominant in the FR. But of course YMMV, some are purists, some are bassheads.

Having said that, maybe you can contact @RikudouGoku , and I'm sure he can customize a set to suit your tastes for jazz.
Riku recommended the Grand Rider2 to me for jazz. Love it!

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #134 of 144
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #135 of 144

Do you listen to instrumental or vocal jazz? Or bit of both? Might get a GAS3 but not sure if it overlaps with my existing TGXEAR sets

Users who are viewing this thread

• j3n5
Back