RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,111 of 1,127
Hello. I'm a newbie here. I just bought a RHA T20 and wanted to ask for advice. Which player will the T20 work best with? Choose from Fiio X1, Cowon U7, Xduoo Nano d3 or Fiio M3K. I listen to pop, classical and film music. I want to hear all the instruments of the symphony orchestra in order to be able to catch their melody. Alternatively, someone will suggest a different player for up to 75€ / 85$. Regards and thank you for your help.

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,112 of 1,127
Hello. I'm a newbie here. I just bought a RHA T20 and wanted to ask for advice. Which player will the T20 work best with? Choose from Fiio X1, Cowon U7, Xduoo Nano d3 or Fiio M3K. I listen to pop, classical and film music. I want to hear all the instruments of the symphony orchestra in order to be able to catch their melody. Alternatively, someone will suggest a different player for up to 75€ / 85$. Regards and thank you for your help.
I don't have any specific recommendations, just know that the T20 requires quite a bit of power to get loud. For reference, the HD 650 (300Ω, 103dB/mW; a lot of people think this headphone is hard to drive) requires 50mW to reach 120dB, the T20 (16Ω, 90dB/mW) requires 1,000mW to reach the same volume. Not that you want to get anywhere close to that loud, but you might want to err on the side of more power. I don't have them anymore, but my memory is that my phone could only get them loud enough with the volume almost all the way up.

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #1,115 of 1,127
Ok, what kind of music player do you suggest from the ones mentioned above?

Apologies, but I'm not familiar with the Fiio X1, Cowon U7, Xduoo Nano d3 or Fiio M3K. What you could do is look at the specifications for these and, perhaps more importantly, see if there's dedicated threads for those players on Head-Fi and check in there if users pair them with hard-to-drive earphones and are happy with the results.

It's really the low sensitivity of the T20 that requires higher power. The results are worth it though. They're my second-best IEMs at the moment, just below my Beyerdynamic Xelento IEMs, and that's a pretty good indicator of the quality of them!

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,116 of 1,127
Has anyone recabled a set of RHA T20? I have no idea if someone can get inside those steel shells, but if it's affordable I'd like to keep using mine.

I've had the T20i longer than the three-year warranty--at which point RHA bluntly advises to get new 'phones, so no repairs from them.

While the cable is still working, the memory wire on one side is no longer holding its curve--like a broken limb--and I have the feeling it's just being held together by the Kevlar insulation and its lifespan will be limited.

Any recabling experts out there who have dealt with the T20? Thanks.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #1,117 of 1,127
Has anyone recabled a set of RHA T20? I have no idea if someone can get inside those steel shells, but if it's affordable I'd like to keep using mine.

I've had the T20i longer than the three-year warranty--at which point RHA bluntly advises to get new 'phones, so no repairs from them.

While the cable is still working, the memory wire on one side is no longer holding its curve--like a broken limb--and I have the feeling it's just being held together by the Kevlar insulation and its lifespan will be limited.

Never had to recable the T20. The shell of the earpiece seems to be made of metal and sealed. I imagine a new cable will need soldering which might be tricky if you were able to dismantle the earpieces.

You could see if Custom Cans can help (they are in the UK). Their owner is on here as @jfunk. Alternatively, if you're not in the UK, a similar headphone cable company may be able to help.

The only other thing I can think of is to tape the broken memory wire section. The hook doesn't rub once placed around the ear so shouldn't cause any discomfort.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #1,118 of 1,127

It is not difficult to open them

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,119 of 1,127

As I recall, there was somebody in this thread a few years ago that modded their T20i with MMCX connectors. It might be worth searching the thread. I think there were pictures, but I don't remember if there was any instruction or advice.

EDIT:Some discussion and pictures on page 70.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,122 of 1,127

Silicone Earphone Hook - Cheap​

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I use it for my RHA T20i from the beginning.
There are ZERO problem with the earphone cable.

May 9, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,123 of 1,127
May 9, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,124 of 1,127
Thanks--that might have been a good preventive measure, but at this point I'm worried about the connection breaking inside the earhook. I'll try those silicones, while I'm still hoping someone can make them MMCX for me.
At least I bought an RHA T20 Wired too. A used one. The RHA T20 Wired has the same driver setup and it has MMCX connection. So I can use my 2.5mm balanced upgrade cables when I listen to my music from my DAP (which is the proper source for the RHA T20). :)

May 24, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,125 of 1,127
Thanks--that might have been a good preventive measure, but at this point I'm worried about the connection breaking inside the earhook. I'll try those silicones, while I'm still hoping someone can make them MMCX for me.
Well, those hooks finally arrived from Ali and...the RHA cable is so thick that they can't get a grip and they fall off. Maybe you have a different generation of the T20i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back