RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #1,096 of 1,127
so after using them a while I was wrong, the 1.5k to 4k is actually bothering me, at least on my particular pair that range is ****ing FORWARD af. this works for mega quiet listening but I just cannot turn them up without some eq-ing. and I can very well hear they are technically capable, texture representation is nice, somewhat lifelike at times even. or maybe i hear it even shittier because i have a quite severe balancing issue. idk why, maybe junk unit which i got on sale locally, one side is soooo much bassier, i lose like 15% information from the other side, so the overall perception is of lower than expected bass amount, which i felt initially as well. i examined the shells very carefully and one is minutely, but noticeably larger in one section. this could pretty well **** with the acoustics and there we go. even when i correct them externally they still seem kinda off, the responses being initially off-kilter like that. judging by the overall build quality this is probably a rare case. not a giant fan of the grippy rubber-ness of the cable tho
the bass itself is pretty baller btw, preserves dynamics in the infra range quite well

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #1,097 of 1,127
I picked up my T20s a few months ago (December 2019) and have been delighted with them, and also the customer service from RHA - I managed to lose a filter and ear tip during a holiday and RHA promptly sent me replacements. Sound-wise, they are a step up from my trusty old beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE IEMs. I've had no issues with the ear loops (I guess I have the newer cable) and I prefer the fit of the stock silicone ear tips, compared to the Comply foam ones (although I prefer Comply ones on my iDX 160 iE IEMs).

Sound quality is outstanding for me, and they're used for travel predominantly.

Has anyone upgraded from their T20s to IEMs they consider better in terms of sound quality? If so, which IEMs did you get?

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,098 of 1,127
I picked up my T20s a few months ago (December 2019) and have been delighted with them, and also the customer service from RHA - I managed to lose a filter and ear tip during a holiday and RHA promptly sent me replacements. Sound-wise, they are a step up from my trusty old beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE IEMs. I've had no issues with the ear loops (I guess I have the newer cable) and I prefer the fit of the stock silicone ear tips, compared to the Comply foam ones (although I prefer Comply ones on my iDX 160 iE IEMs).

Has anyone upgraded from their T20s to IEMs they consider better in terms of sound quality? If so, which IEMs did you get?

Yes, the Sony XBA-N3. I haven't even looked at my T20s since I got them nearly 3 years ago. They're an altogether better balanced package to my ears. I tried so hard to love the T20, and when fed the right stuff they sounded awesome, but overall I found them overly strident in the treble, even with the bass filter fitted, and to my ears they had an overall tonality that felt disjointed throughout the bass, mid, and treble - it was almost like listening to 3 different IEMs at the same time.

Just my take though - if you love them then enjoy them.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #1,099 of 1,127

Went to the RHA CL2 after that. They are right up there with my LCDi4 and Legend X. All 3 sound very different, and complement each other beautifully.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #1,100 of 1,127
Picked up the SE846 a couple of years ago but still have the T20. I enjoy the sound from them, and particularly enjoy their dynamic driver bass. They're also my main choice for night-time listening in bed as their diminutive size doesn't cause them to press on my ear like the 846 if I'm lying on my side.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #1,101 of 1,127
Went to the RHA CL2 after that. They are right up there with my LCDi4 and Legend X. All 3 sound very different, and complement each other beautifully.

At first I thought these were wireless headphones, but it seems that they can be configured as wired too. My future upgrade shortlist consists of beyerdynamic Xelento at the moment, but I will add the RHA CL2 onto it.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #1,102 of 1,127
Hi all, planning to upgrade my final audio e3000, which should be 'better sound' ?
Between RHA T20i and 1more quad driver.
Here in Indonesia, both are priced almost in same price, around $120, although RHA few bucks more expensive

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #1,103 of 1,127
Hi all, planning to upgrade my final audio e3000, which should be 'better sound' ?
Here in Indonesia, both are priced almost in same price, around $120, although RHA few bucks more expensive

I don't know about the 1more quad, but the RHA T20 is a phenomenal IEM. It is hard to drive though, so be aware of that if you do go for it.

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,106 of 1,127
if i can judge by my RHA20(i) which is faulty (channel imbalance) and my newer pair of 1more 3ple drivers that are half the price I'd say the 1more will be a safer bet. the RHA is a bit better technically in some areas (wider stage and better bass) but too forward mid to highs transition (shouty/piercing), while at half the price the 1more has a much more pleasing tone to me. due to the BA drivers the high-highs are waaay nicer, the dynamic driver of the rha just can't pull off the +10k shimmer (edit2: it actually can - with a bunch of eq boost - but is kinda not tuned to do so). and since the quads are a higher rank than the 3ples and the general audiophile opinion is that they are way more refined than the 3ples, i'm guessing they wreck the T20. also the T20's are a pain in the ass to put on and bulky as heck

Edit: After some days off the internet I had some more time with the RHA and compare it to the triple again. the RHA's are piercing on more aggressive stuff like metal (especially) and dnb for example, where i prefer the 3ples with which I can crank the volume comfortably, but i have to say the RHA's is sounding more filled out and present in the upper register and a bit wider, and even though the highest highs are a bit weaker, they are still quite good. t20i's sound kinda "hushy", but present textures and percussion quite nicely, while the triple sounds clean, but a bit "slimy" in comparison. the subbass (at least on the side which it is not busted on my unit) is quite beastly. so if you really want the bass and can live with the harshness and OK high-highs, u might wanna get it over the quad, which measure kind of weak in the sub area compared to the triple (which although quite bassy still doesn't have the most amazing low sub). if u listen to super well produced and mellower stuff, the RHA will pull it off quite great

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,107 of 1,127
Hi all,

I’ve currently get a set of Shure SE215 which fit perfectly with the large olive foams. I also have a set of T20i which I’m struggling to get the same isolation as the Shures, even using the large comply tips they are loose. Can anyone recommend a tip that is as large as the Shure olive? I’ve debated cutting the core out of an olive but not sure if it will adjust the sound and stay on very well.

Thanks

May 12, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #1,108 of 1,127
ok another find about these, while painstakingly channel balancing my faulty unit in equalizer APO i was playin around and when i JACKED the highs starting from 6k and peaking at 14k at like +13db (also 5-something khz thin dip cut cause that's where their hushiness is, also chu moy crossfeed filter) and listening to some field recordings, they started sounding incredibly lifelike and resolving and spaceous. the drivers are very capable it seems, i guess you can't tune them that extremely from the get go since electronic music or whatever might get painful, but recorded stuff really shines with these seemingly mad settings

May 13, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,109 of 1,127
Hi all,

I’ve currently get a set of Shure SE215 which fit perfectly with the large olive foams. I also have a set of T20i which I’m struggling to get the same isolation as the Shures, even using the large comply tips they are loose. Can anyone recommend a tip that is as large as the Shure olive? I’ve debated cutting the core out of an olive but not sure if it will adjust the sound and stay on very well.

Thanks

Try SpinFits... Whenever I have fit issues with a particular earphone I usually end up with the SpinFits.

May 13, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,110 of 1,127
Hi all,

Thanks
Sorry, I saw your post a could weeks ago but forgot to reply.
Are you unable to get a seal (as in, it affects the sound with reduced bass), or is it simply that they're not isolating well (i.e., they're not blocking a lot of outside noise)? If it's the latter, I found that the T20 just don't isolate very well at all, due to the vent for the driver. That's one of the main reasons that I stopped using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back