RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #1,081 of 1,127
@megabigeye I just had a replacement T20 shipped to me from RHA because the memory wire on my original (2016) pair wrinkled and eventually tore, leaving the wire exposed.

The revised cable on the new pair is much better. The one on my old model felt rubbery and soft to the touch and was the only qualm I had with the T20, whereas the new wire has a hard plastic feel to it and generally inspires a lot more confidence in its longevity. Which cable does your set have?

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,082 of 1,127
Thanks.
Huh. Seems like the one I have is a soft-ish rubber, but I wouldn't normally think it seemed like a problem or bother me.
I've got an e-mail in to RHA and I need to send them a copy of the receipt to see if they're covered under warranty. I'll let people here know.

Thanks again.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,083 of 1,127
Yeah, sounds like you have the older cable. Just keep an on it and hopefully you're covered by the warrenty, because the older wire is prone to problems with the memory section; specifically becoming increasingly wrinkled/ugly, and eventually splitting, as happened to mine:

Om01PPq.jpg

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,084 of 1,127
I look forward to hearing what RHA has to say. My pair purchased from Microcenter definitely has the softer cable as well. So far I have not noticed any crinkling or other issues but would like to have the reassurance that if the problem arises it will be taken care of.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,085 of 1,127
I should also note how much I agree with your assessment of the headphones. Overall I am extremely pleased with them. Due to the weight of the cable I find I use them mostly when I am going to be listening to music and fairly stationary. My only real disappointment would be the filters. The difference in sound between them is extremely subtle to the point I am wondering if I am forcing myself to hear something that is not there. I could maybe understand that switching from reference to bass or treble but you would think switching from bass to treble would be much more pronounced. What is the point of them if they make such little difference? Maybe it is just me.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,086 of 1,127
Not covered under warranty, unfortunately.
Thanks for sending you receipt through. Unfortunately Micro Center is not one of our authorised retailers and as such we would not be able to offer our 3 year warranty should there be any issues with your T20i. The T20i also retails at $199.95 which is why, being from an unauthorised retailer, they have been able to give it at such a discounted price. I hope this information has been helpful, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

Lucy
Customer Care Care
RHA
Now to decide if I want to return them or keep them and potentially mod them should the cable go bad.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,088 of 1,127
Yup. The price difference between the T20 and SE846 way too big to be a fair comparison. I've got the SE846, and I definitely prefer the SE846 for its mids. However, The SE846 cost afew times the price of the T20!

Yup, huge price gap, but how huge difference in sound signature? Is it after I listen to SE846, I will feel like to though away T20?

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,089 of 1,127
I should also note how much I agree with your assessment of the headphones. Overall I am extremely pleased with them. Due to the weight of the cable I find I use them mostly when I am going to be listening to music and fairly stationary. My only real disappointment would be the filters. The difference in sound between them is extremely subtle to the point I am wondering if I am forcing myself to hear something that is not there. I could maybe understand that switching from reference to bass or treble but you would think switching from bass to treble would be much more pronounced. What is the point of them if they make such little difference? Maybe it is just me.

I also noticed the same. Yes, when I forced myself to notice the difference, the bass filter does feel a bass or just a brighter, treble is really crisp at full volume and reference does feels between both. But not huge gap. Even with treble filter, with bassy songs feels sharp crisp bass, has the t20's signature tinging impact too... So I always use the treble or reference filter. I wonder why the reviewers said the bass filters gives big punchy bass. Yes, I do get punchy bass with equalizer tuning.

Anybody tried tuning with L1? How much improvement and difference in signature it brings?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,090 of 1,127
Yeah, sounds like you have the older cable. Just keep an on it and hopefully you're covered by the warrenty, because the older wire is prone to problems with the memory section; specifically becoming increasingly wrinkled/ugly, and eventually splitting, as happened to mine:

Om01PPq.jpg

Ahh... Your one looks totaly torn. I ordered last year from Amazon Germany from original RHA store, at that time it was still 240 EUR, but now I see price has dropped officially. After 9/10 months, I noticed it was bending unusually at the same spot as your picture, but mine not torn yet. I didn't have a proof of purchase as someone esle ordered for me and I don't have contact with him anymore. So I just thought of asking customer care generally if they can fix this and I would pay money. But surprisingly they offered me a free replacement! Their customer support is really good and now I have the 2nd Gen as replacement even without proof of purchase!

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #1,091 of 1,127
I received these today, as my first foray into so-called higher end earphones.
I am very impressed with them so far.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,092 of 1,127
Hi guys,

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not.

I've had the Jaybird BlueBuds X in-ear Bluetooth headphones for 3.5 years. I wanted something a bit different and as the battery life was worse than half now I decided to go for the RHA T20s. Nice build.

I've had them for 2 days. Upon listening to the reference filters and changing the tips to the most suitable, I thought they sounded tinny with no EQ. Bass filter made it slightly better but sounded dull and either the same or worse sound as the Jaybird's. Put it onto the Treble filter and really made it more lively which I loved and just EQed a bit as was a bit sharp sounding.

With my typical music - Hard Rock and Metal, it doesn't really seem like a step up in quality over my Jaybirds and given I'm using it for commuting, I'm very tempted to return.

To clarify: Using a Huawei P20 Pro with Spotify Premium and Tidal Hi-Fi, no external DAC.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,093 of 1,127
Hi guys,

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not.

I've had the Jaybird BlueBuds X in-ear Bluetooth headphones for 3.5 years. I wanted something a bit different and as the battery life was worse than half now I decided to go for the RHA T20s. Nice build.

I've had them for 2 days. Upon listening to the reference filters and changing the tips to the most suitable, I thought they sounded tinny with no EQ. Bass filter made it slightly better but sounded dull and either the same or worse sound as the Jaybird's. Put it onto the Treble filter and really made it more lively which I loved and just EQed a bit as was a bit sharp sounding.

With my typical music - Hard Rock and Metal, it doesn't really seem like a step up in quality over my Jaybirds and given I'm using it for commuting, I'm very tempted to return.

To clarify: Using a Huawei P20 Pro with Spotify Premium and Tidal Hi-Fi, no external DAC.

I am a metal listener too. T20i was my first expensive IEM (if you take IEM's $100 + starts as as entry level audiophile). I listened to it with a midrange phone of $200. Before, I was listening to my friend's $150 Bose QC Sport BT for a month. And initially I didn't feel any difference. By Dual DD, T20i is suppose to sound a wide difference. After a week (around 20-30hours burnout), I started to like the sound. I realised T20i is more sharper than the QC sport. The base and drums sounds tingly with sharp impact, but not bloating punches like from cheap loud subwoofers. So actually I fell in love and kept them for a year.

Actually, first I was going for T10, but reading reviews and users impressions on this thread and the T10 thread, saying T10 is punchy bassy, but T20 has concentrated on more sharp clarity.

The reference filters aren't much deal, they just make a slight difference. The basic sound signature is already tuned and it cant be altered with filters. That's just a RHA's marketing tool.

Bose, Jaybird, JBL, Beats and such similar companies concentrate on the common consumer market. They put things which most people pays attention firstly - nice bassy bits, warmness and the loudness. Most people won't suddenly like the "neutral clarity" from a $1000+ audiophile IEM.

I tried upgrading into a DAP and bought Sony ZX-300. From "direct sound" it didn't sound much differ than my phone, but after setting EQ, and other software improvements, it become more wide and bright. So I take this as ZX-300's own signature. T20 doesn't bring much improvement from an DAC or DAP unless your phone's DAC is really poor. Usually most $150 + phones already has good DAC for T20.

So give yourself at least 2 weeks before you decide to return or sale. And finally it depends on your tatse. For me I would still prefer sharp base if I am playing Lamb of God. Whereas others might prefer punchy bass from the base amd drums. If it is Dragonforce or Blind Guardian, then sharp separation is a must. So T20 is really good for $200 budget.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #1,094 of 1,127
Just got a pair of t20i's, the over ear hook coating seems impeccable (revised since the weird breaky one I presume). Out of the box the sound is quite highmids-to-lowhighs forward-y but in a somewhat pleasant way, i feel that accent gives some size and presence for atmospheres and such. i'm pretty sure after a bit of brain burn-in i wont find that intrusive at all (other first listens have been pretty jarring compared to this, and I liked the product afterwards quite a lot). the bass is mixed in a bit tamely compared to what I expected from the measurements i saw, but the quality of it is pretty great, not too middy but not too hollow either, with good presence at the lowest notes. +5db eq and you're in big-but-smooth-bass land. good amount of highs, i can't say a lot more about that right away. i am noticing very nice instrument separation right away tho and im likin it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back