RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,068 of 1,127
One other question on these- do the audio controls work on Android phones? At least the pause button? And I know it may vary from phone to phone somewhat but my Motorola G5 plus seems pretty good in this regard so if other people have had success I would be pretty confident I would to.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,070 of 1,127
Thanks. Have to admit I am getting cold feet on these now that I read through this thread. Is the part of the cord where it loops over the ears still a real problem? Seems like so many people report having it bunch, tear, etc.. I know the warranty is good but would rather not get into that if possible.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,071 of 1,127
Thanks. Have to admit I am getting cold feet on these now that I read through this thread. Is the part of the cord where it loops over the ears still a real problem? Seems like so many people report having it bunch, tear, etc.. I know the warranty is good but would rather not get into that if possible.

Had mine for 18 months and haven't had any problems with the memory cords. Use them daily for commuting with a DFR DAC. Like them a lot, great value for money.

My only gripe is it's hard to keep the filters clean - I clean my ears carefully but still get some cr*p. on them. I use surgical swabs and forceps to keep them degunked (the filters, not my ears!). Works well but it's a chore.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,072 of 1,127

I've had mine since september and haven't seen any wear to them. I just don't fiddle with them. Take them off and leave them in their worn position and don't move them around and they will stay new. Not anything you need to worry about.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,073 of 1,127
I've had them for over a year and they still look new. As other people have said just don't mess around with the wiring on the cable and you should be fine. The problem for me was the MA750, after 2 1/2 years they had developed serious kinks in the cable. They still work but I can't use the chin slider anymore. I might actually use the warranty claim on them (the good thing of having a 3 year warranty).

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,074 of 1,127
I got my set yesterday, have been listening to them with the reference filter. SQ is good but not great. definitely picking up the V shaped sound sig. going to try the treble filter and get some burn-in time see if my feelings change.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,075 of 1,127
Hi, the design of the overears cable seems to have changed over the years, i purchased a pair 2 years ago and had to send them back recently as the cable cover had frayed, the after sales is superb and the replacement version has a different cable to the original so maybe the problem no longer exists.

d

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,077 of 1,127
Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. Picked up the t20i on Friday and listened to them quite a bit over the weekend. As promised here are my initial impressions. First of all just like the 750's I bought and returned a year ago the packaging and included extras are first rate. I returned the 750's because although I really loved the wound quality I was looking for a pair of headphones for everyday commuting mostly listening to podcasts and they just felt too heavy and cumbersome to make them work for that purpose. Now that I have a pair of MEE pro 6's for that purpose I was looking for something to listen to music at work or while at home. And while the cable seems very similar between the two for some reason the t20i's seem lighter and easier to work with some I think I might get some double duty out of them.

In any event on to the listening. I have only used the reference filter so far but am extremely pleased with the balanced sound I am getting. Using some comply tips I had from some other headphones the isolation is good, bass very present, and trebles extremely clear and pronounced. If anything the latter may me very slightly edgy. I have seen numerous references in this thread to that softening a bit with break in and although I am not a big believer in that process I am willing to give it a try. All in all extremely pleased with these and look forward to experiencing all my music with them. Certainly a substantial improvement for me over the Shure 215's I have been using for a couple of years. And very pleased with how easy they are to drive with a smartphone which is a big plus for me.

If you do not own a pair of these and are fortunate enough to have a Microcenter nearby I highly recommend giving them a shot. For $79 I consider them a steal.

May 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,078 of 1,127
After having these for a week my impressions have not changed much. I have had them playing for about 20 hours and whether or not it is burn in or just acclimating to their sound I really love them. One thing that puzzles me though is the difference in the sound produced by the filters. The difference even between the bass and treble seem pretty darn subtle. Other people feel the same way? Or can you point me to a particular music track that highlights the differences? I mostly listen to rock and the like.

May 5, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #1,079 of 1,127
After having these for a week my impressions have not changed much. I have had them playing for about 20 hours and whether or not it is burn in or just acclimating to their sound I really love them. One thing that puzzles me though is the difference in the sound produced by the filters. The difference even between the bass and treble seem pretty darn subtle. Other people feel the same way? Or can you point me to a particular music track that highlights the differences? I mostly listen to rock and the like.

Glad you like them, you got a great deal! I paid nearly triple that 18 months ago.

For my old (54 years), the difference between the bass and reference filters is subtle, but there. But I hear a huge difference between the reference and treble filters. Like you, I find the T20's treble on the border of too pronounced, and with the treble filters my ears get fatigued very quickly. I usually use the Comply foam tips, but found an old pair of triple flange tips from an old pair of Monster Turbines and they seem to play nicely with all filters. Listen to a lot of jazz, jazz/funk, soul, disco and 80s pop. My son has the T10s, and to my ears they're bass++ with whichever filters:)

Some suggestions for highlighting the differences:

Grace Jones - Walking In The Rain
Simple Minds - Up On The Catwalk
Pretenders - Up The Neck (and Space Invaders)
New Order - The Perfect Kiss
Donald Byrd - Love Has Come Around

Would be interested in your thoughts, please post back!

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,080 of 1,127
I also recently picked these up on a semi-whim at Micro Center for $79. Definitely sound great for that price!!
Difference between filters is subtle. I've only tried the Reference and Treble filters. Maybe Treble tones down the mid-bass some? Maybe? And maybe there's a bit more treble presence? Maybe? I've not tried the Bass filters yet and probably won't, as they're already borderline too bassy for me.
Overall, I guess I wouldn't really describe the sound as being V-shaped, although there's definitely a lot of bass emphasis. To me, "V-shaped" means the mids would sound recessed, which is not the case here. I actually find the mids to be pretty well forward. If anything, to me they sound like a reference tuning with extra bass. Maybe with the Treble filter it's more U-shaped.
Soundwise, the only thing I don't like is that the mid-bass is not only big, but sometimes a bit overwhelming and uncontrolled and seems to impinge on the mids.
Ironically, I find the Comfort Fit Comply to be the most uncomfortable. I generally don't like silicone tips, but I find these ones to be much more comfy for me. They also tame the bass slightly. The drawback being that they don't isolate nearly so well. I happen to also have some Comply T-400, which... well, to be honest I got sick of comparing, so haven't listened critically to them yet, but they're more comfortable than the included Comply.

I'm a little concerned about the cable, as there seems to be a small amount of crinkling on the memory wire area already. It doesn't look like Micro Center is a certified RHA retailer, in which case the 3 year warranty won't apply. I'll have to double check that with RHA. If that's the case, I may end up returning them. On the other hand, I find the cable mods people have done to be highly intriguing and wouldn't consider screwing up $80 headphones to be the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back