RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Oct 5, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #798 of 1,127
the memory wire on my t20 looks so ugly now. twisted and wrinkled all over. is this a normal issue or is it a sign that its about to give soon? had it for just about 7 months.

I think I know what he's talking about. The sheath covering the memory wire gets all wrinkly in spots.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #800 of 1,127
the memory wire on my t20 looks so ugly now. twisted and wrinkled all over. is this a normal issue or is it a sign that its about to give soon? had it for just about 7 months.

I haven't had that happen on mine and have had them for about a year or so. It sounds like it's the jacket of the cable that is showing some wear. I doubt that the actual wire is getting damaged or about to fail. Remember you have a three year warranty and RHA is great with customer service. You might want to contact them, but if its just cosmetic at this point it may not be a warranty claim. But if the cabling actually fails within 3 years they will definitely take care of you.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #801 of 1,127
Mine is horrendous. I had to get a replacement set after 4 months due to L/R imbalance (RHA customer Service is superb) and they looked bad but this new pair is even worse.

I don't know why. I think the same covering as the cable has would have been the answer - something silicone-ish. This smooth PVC over the wire just isn't up to the job. It's wrinkled, gathered, twisted and generally really unpleasant to look at.

The sound is untouched though - the function of the memory wire is also fine. Aesthetically though :frowning2: - they look like something I dug up.

I'd get them recabled in an instant if I could find someone to do it. I hate the memory wire. It's totally unnecessary and serves no purpose.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #802 of 1,127
Decided to take the plunge and upgrade from the ma750i to the t20i. Have them both with me here, when a/b'ing the 750's sound darker overall, the t20's highs even started to give me an ear/headache maybe they just need a bit of burn in? Since I've read that the sound signature of the two are very similar
I love the fun signature of the 750's was hoping these would be similar but superior

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #803 of 1,127
Decided to take the plunge and upgrade from the ma750i to the t20i. Have them both with me here, when a/b'ing the 750's sound darker overall, the t20's highs even started to give me an ear/headache maybe they just need a bit of burn in? Since I've read that the sound signature of the two are very similar
I love the fun signature of the 750's was hoping these would be similar but superior

What's your source? I noticed some pretty big SQ differences while A/Bing the MA750i and T20.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #805 of 1,127
  fiio e10k 

I notice differences but the highs really make it hard to listen to at the moment

Perhaps you should try a different source. If you have a modern smartphone, try and test it off of that and see if the treble tames itself. Also, try and use the bass filter.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #806 of 1,127
  Perhaps you should try a different source. If you have a modern smartphone, try and test it off of that and see if the treble tames itself. Also, try and use the bass filter.

I'll give that a try in the morning and report back, I dont see why the source would make a difference though since i'm running the 750's off the same. I did read somewhere earlier in this thread that burn in tames the highs 

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #807 of 1,127
  I'll give that a try in the morning and report back, I dont see why the source would make a difference though since i'm running the 750's off the same. I did read somewhere earlier in this thread that burn in tames the highs 

While it's not impossible, I have yet to see an evidence that burn in actually does anything. However, the T20 is 10% less sensitive than the MA750i and uses a different driver. Since we don't really know too much about either driver, I think it's safe to assume that they shouldn't be indicative of each-other's performance on a shared source. But I have first-hand experienced the immediate and distinct differences between two sources on certain earphones such as the Shozy Zero and Rose 3D-7, and I doubt the T20 plays equally as nicely with each source.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #808 of 1,127
If anything I think the 750 is a bit brighter than the t20. Which filter are you using? I personally found some improvement in the t20 after just letting them play a few hours, but they were pretty good right out of the box. Would definitely not say the top end is hot at all. The 20 is MUCH more refined than the 750, although I really hold both in high regard.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #809 of 1,127

Try a different filter! If the source is the same and all things, the same. The source shouldnt matter too much when comparing side to side.

Of course taking into account impedence and sensitivity

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #810 of 1,127
Try a different filter! If the source is the same and all things, the same. The source shouldnt matter too much when comparing side to side.

Of course taking into account impedence and sensitivity

Except they have different sensitivities and the T20 has a cross-over circuit inside it, so yes, it does matter, even side by side.  The only times source doesn't matter is when the two earphones are identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back