Reviews, MB Quart QP55x/45x (very very poorman's DT990 & K701 ?)
Jul 31, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #106 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't done an AB comparison, but based on my current impressions of the 45x/55x, the K401 would absolutely trample them. In my system with my ears, of course.

Wow that's not good news. I remember the k401 being really thin and boring sounding lol.

I guess I'll just have to hear the 45x and if I don't like them they'll be up for sale and I'll get dt770's
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #107 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that's not good news. I remember the k401 being really thin and boring sounding lol.

I guess I'll just have to hear the 45x and if I don't like them they'll be up for sale and I'll get dt770's
evil_smiley.gif

Unlike the 55x, the 45x does have quite a bit of bass, it's just not very high quality to me. It sort of reminds me of the sound you'd get if you took some small tinny-sounding bookshelf speakers with a high rolloff point, and added a boomy sub to try and fill in the gaps. The 55x would be those same speakers, but without the sub. Apologies to the OP for being so harsh about the phones.
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #108 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unlike the 55x, the 45x does have quite a bit of bass, it's just not very high quality to me. It sort of reminds me of the sound you'd get if you took some small tinny-sounding bookshelf speakers with a high rolloff point, and added a boomy sub to try and fill in the gaps. The 55x would be those same speakers, but without the sub. Apologies to the OP for being so harsh about the phones.
tongue.gif

Thanks for your honest feedback. Have you tried running either from portable sources?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #109 of 315
Quote:

Thanks for your honest feedback. Have you tried running either from portable sources?

I don't have any portable sources anymore, my work prevents me from really being able to use any most of the time.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #110 of 315
New reviews already?...... I am back in.

wow, Fitz, that was quick...... My order took 10 days.

Sorry to hear you don't like them, did my posts set the expectation too high?
redface.gif
I don't have other similar MSRP phones to compare, and I somehow remembered used K501's are around $130 so I thought they MSRP for less than $200 (while Senn 555 MSRP for $170), that was why I suggested the 501 comparison, probably not a good idea..... Maybe K240s vs. 55x, and K81DJ vs. 45x instead?

Burn-in seems to make quite a bit of improvement on the QP's, give them a few days of full blast and see....The highs and lows seem to get better after 3 days.

Also what amp are you using? Is it one of the super amps? Maybe the QP's demand good amping but don't scale well once a certain level is reached? My listening with the QP's were mostly done with receiver's headphone jack which isn't that great source, but they sound good.....

Let's hope they get better with a long burn-in.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #111 of 315
Hey none of were expecting HE-90's for >$40.00. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised, but that can't happen every time. Besides we all have non-audiophile friends that will think we're really giving them something special this Christmas.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #112 of 315
Son of the GuN ! ElectronicsBonanza just up the price of both models by $10.... 45x is now $35 and 55x now $42.

I'd suggest whoever already have his/hers just burn-in and enjoy them, but I can't recommand just go grab these phones anymore, they are no longer a "can't lose" deal. Some will like them and the others won't, the current price is too high to just "take a chance". They are no longer "no-brainer" purchases....
frown.gif
.... Need to wait for more reviews (and hopefully electronicsBonanza won't raise the price further when more reviews come out)

I really don't like how electronicsbonanza does business like this
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #113 of 315
Wow! That's shady! I'm glad I picked up some 55s Sunday. I've been thinking of getting these phones for a while and the stock only changed when AudioCats started this thread. Wonder if someone at ElectronicsBonanza found this thread! :0(

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #114 of 315
Quote:

I just tried to run the 55x from my iPod. Full volume, almost no sound. For contrast, my 600 ohm K240 Sextetts can be played louder than is comfortable (horrible sound though)

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #115 of 315
The UPS man just brought me my 45x today and I wasn't much impressed. For testing, I plugged my iPod into a pair of powered computer speakers to be able to drive them, and I was listening comfortably at about 20% volume.

The build quality feels cheap to me, but it's "good enough": plasticky, but not about to fall apart either. Still above that of Bose, for anyone who's owned any of their products.

As AudioCats said, these are really best with rock - they're pretty forward. Bass sounded extremely sloppy to me, and a lot of detail was lacking. Overall, a very muddy sound. It's not the fault of my makeshift source either, because I picked out a couple of songs and listened to them with every pair of full-size cans I have. Everything in my repertoire - even the lowly M40 - outshined and outclassed the 45x.

My question is, how much of this be remedied with AudioCats' suggestion of a cheap receiver? Does anyone think it'll really improve that much sonically with a proper burn-in?

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #116 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UPS man just brought me my 45x today and I wasn't much impressed. For testing, I plugged my iPod into a pair of powered computer speakers to be able to drive them, and I was listening comfortably at about 20% volume.

The build quality feels cheap to me, but it's "good enough": plasticky, but not about to fall apart either. Still above that of Bose, for anyone who's owned any of their products.

As AudioCats said, these are really best with rock - they're pretty forward. Bass sounded extremely sloppy to me, and a lot of detail was lacking. Overall, a very muddy sound. It's not the fault of my makeshift source either, because I picked out a couple of songs and listened to them with every pair of full-size cans I have. Everything in my repertoire - even the lowly M40 - outshined and outclassed the 45x.

My question is, how much of this be remedied with AudioCats' suggestion of a cheap receiver? Does anyone think it'll really improve that much sonically with a proper burn-in?

Your lowly M40 cost twice as much as the 45x. I don't know how the MSRP compares, but remember the MB Quarts are 13- 14 years old. The tape on my boxes is so old it's yellowed. If the serial number is a date, mine were made in June 94.

Today is the first day I've had these available to listen to. You're post made me open the 45x. It is no where near as good as the 55x. You should have sprung the extra $10 for the 55x.

Out of my iPod, it took full volume to get sound, and I won't call it music because it was like avant garde electronic music, Bizet's Symphony in C is what was playing
blink.gif
You're speakers probably don't have a much better amp than the iPod. I've been listening all day to the 55x through my X4. I haven't done critical listening, but it sounds good. They also rival my AKGs for comfort, maybe even exceed them. When I plugged in the 45x, my initial reaction was, "This is awful!". Hopefully, it will improve with burn in.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #117 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have sprung the extra $10 for the 55x.

AudioCats made me do it.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, I just keep on being amazed by the 45x, they waaaaaaaaaay excceded my expectations .....

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #118 of 315
wow, are our ears that different??

I have been listening to the 45x/55x today, I'd say great sound for less than $xx class..... (well, better don't say the # or somebody might change their price accordingly). I still much prefer the 45x more. 55x is just way too bright for me.....

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #120 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass sounded extremely sloppy to me, and a lot of detail was lacking. Overall, a very muddy sound. It's not the fault of my makeshift source either, because I picked out a couple of songs and listened to them with every pair of full-size cans I have.

That should be due to amping. Does the bass come out twisted, distored, undefined? Power speakers don't have too much power, if it is one of the small power speakers they might have coupling capacitor at output, that can't be helping....

It is no surprise to me that the QP's sound bad with a source that is acceptable for other headphones. Their are very hard on amping, hardest I have seen so far (even my 990/600 is easier to drive well).

Give them at least a few days of full volume burn-in, They should improve a bit. There is no hurry now.

Guess what I have been using to drive the 45x today.... My Panasonic PCDP. And they do sound acceptablely good enough now, for a portable system that is. Still recommend a receiver amp though. And I was using the 45x with Sony fabric pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back