Reviews, MB Quart QP55x/45x (very very poorman's DT990 & K701 ?)
Jul 30, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #91 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QP 805 HS is $149

QP 805 Monitor 134 Euros at a German site

Good work. Now if only we knew whether the 300 ohm drivers of the HS sound better than the new 35 ohm monitor drivers. I think $150 is possibly reasonable, though of course for that money we'd need DT770 performance at least, and of course a clear edge on the closed FOTM, the R-21. The extremely broad claimed frequency response of the HS is interesting, especially as MB doesn't really subscribe to FR inflation generally speaking. Might be quite a headphone.

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #92 of 315
I'm still quite a newb when it comes to headphone testing and comparisons and my ears haven't been trained to hear frequency humps and what-not so my take is strictly layman. That being said, I bought a pair of QP55x's off of ebay several months ago because I wanted to try something open and something that had the "Grado" sound, but on the cheap.

They were a great bang for the buck, and besides have to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, I was very pleased. They're extremely comfy and didn't leak as much as I thought. The cord was also pretty strange, but I liked not having foots of straight cord under my desk.

Soundwise, I was astounded by how much juice they needed. At the time, I had only a TBAAM connected to my Powerbook, but all the headphones I've tried (dt770, hd595, portapro, ksc75, hd201) were plenty loud at one or two bars of volume. The MB Quart's, however, could push 6-7. I really enjoyed their sound, very nice highs, I didn't get any sibilance or anything. I enjoyed them so much, that I went on to acquire my own Grado. They were Grado-gateway phones for me.

So after a bit, I landed a pair of SR225's and was astonished once again. To me, the Grado's had the same highs as the MB Quarts, but definitely had more mids and lows to go with it. However, with other phones like the dt770s and HD25s, so I still felt a lack in the lower range. I fixed this by getting flat pads which gave me the bass I wanted and also managed to make the Grado's much more comfortable to me.

Anyways, back on track, the QP55x's took a break for a while and I even put them up for sale a little while ago. When I saw this thread, I remembered them sitting in my closet and took them out for another try. I'm glad I did. I think the MB Quarts have more Grado-highs than my Grado's do with flat pads (if that's possible). Very clear and fluid, whereas the Grado's are more balanced and muddy in a good sense (less shrill). My stand is that I'll keep the MB Quart's around after-all. Although they can't touch the SR225's, they're a hell of a lot comfier for long sessions (although the band makes my hair look like a camel's back) and still have that sound I've grown to love. They're a high impedance-circumaural-budget-grado that shines with amping.

In short, if you don't want to shell out the dough for $200 plus headphones, or you want to try something Grado-esque, and you don't mind spending a little for an adapter and amp, or better yet, have them already, this is a great deal. I'm surprised these haven't been mentioned more, but I'm glad they're finally getting the respect they deserve.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #93 of 315
I found an interesting PDF on MB Quart's web site comparing the recommended use and general construction of all of the current phones.

http://www.mbquart.de/all/downloads/.../qp_805_hs.pdf

Interestingly, the QP 240, which facelvega says is replacement for the QP55, is recommended for classical music and modern music (what ever that is) but not for general use. All of the lower model numbers are recommended for general use only.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #94 of 315
I noticed on the Pro Audio Solutions link to the QP 805 HS they give the following piece of data in the specs

Average pressure on ears: ~ 5.5 N

Does anyone know how this compares to other headphones? I've never seen this specified for a headphone before.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #95 of 315
Quote:

the QP 240, which facelvega says is replacement for the QP55

Actually, Willi Pressutti the boss of MB Quart's Pro Audio branch, told me this. Of course, the fact that it uses precisely the same housing might also have tipped me off. Funny about the music recommendations, though. Don't know what it could possibly mean.

Quote:

Average pressure on ears: ~ 5.5 N

Does anyone know how this compares to other headphones? I've never seen this specified for a headphone before.

Beyer gives this spec for some of its headphones:
old DT990 or DT770: 3.5
DT770M: 6.5
DT250: 4.5

So, 4.5 should be some clamping but not head-vise level.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #96 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly the same serial #'s for both models!?
eek.gif

it turned out the 0694 is probably a lot #, since ericj's 55x is 0694 too....

My 55x is 0694, and my 45x is 0594. I agree about it not being a real serial number; I think it's a date code.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A report on 55x vs. K501 will be nice....

So far based on my first impressions of the 55x, I don't think they're even worth comparing to the K501. We'll see if that changes later on.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #98 of 315
Well the 45x helps fill in some of the thinness of the 55x, but it's still no winner for me so far. The bass, while plentiful, is not tuneful at all in my opinion, and doesn't really flow with the rest of the spectrum. The treble on these phones seems to have an unpleasant quality I would call "spitty", like somebody speaking close to you with too much saliva spray (in addition to having a sibilant voice). Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm just not that thrilled about these phones on an overall level. They're certainly much better than what you'd get in a retail store for a similar price, but I would be hesitant to compare them to most so-called "mid-fi" or "hi-fi" phones. It's unfortunate, since I really like the light weight and earcup suspension.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #99 of 315
Wow, you must have opted for faster shipping. Mine are due to arrive Thursday. I can't say I'm surprised at your findings, but in all fairness you'll give them some breakin time before you curse them to the nomansland of the back of your closet won't you?

I'll get some Black pads for my Beyers at the very least.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #100 of 315
Probably depends where you live. I ordered mine Friday evening via UPS Ground and they're due to arrive tomorow.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #101 of 315
I went with whatever the cheapest method was, I was in no hurry to get them.
tongue.gif

I'll give them their fair chance before they're banished to only sacrificial lamb duty for my extreme amp tweaking, of course. I should also mention that today I got my SR-Sigma, so it was a bit of a tough act to follow.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #102 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the 45x helps fill in some of the thinness of the 55x, but it's still no winner for me so far. The bass, while plentiful, is not tuneful at all in my opinion, and doesn't really flow with the rest of the spectrum. The treble on these phones seems to have an unpleasant quality I would call "spitty", like somebody speaking close to you with too much saliva spray (in addition to having a sibilant voice). Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm just not that thrilled about these phones on an overall level. They're certainly much better than what you'd get in a retail store for a similar price, but I would be hesitant to compare them to most so-called "mid-fi" or "hi-fi" phones. It's unfortunate, since I really like the light weight and earcup suspension.

How do you compare them to the ksc35 or 75?

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #104 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, never had a pair of those.

Compare to AKG k401?
blink.gif
(for the record I think the ksc-35 sounds a lot better than the k401)

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #105 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compare to AKG k401?
blink.gif
(for the record I think the ksc-35 sounds a lot better than the k401)

Haven't done an AB comparison, but based on my current impressions of the 45x/55x, the K401 would absolutely trample them. In my system with my ears, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back