Reviews, MB Quart QP55x/45x (very very poorman's DT990 & K701 ?)
Jan 6, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #301 of 315
I found this thread searching for more info on Quart headphones as I've had a pair of 55X's for over 10 years. I guess in US$ I paid about $140 for them at the time. I just did the trick mentioned about 15 pages back to get more base, which has interesting results.

I drive them straight out of a MacBook Pro, though not really loud, they drive ok. I recall having to turn the volume up quite a bit on regular hi-fi amps to drive them though. Since my pads are shot, I've ordered a new pair from e-bonanza - it will be interesting to see how a new pair sounds.

I second the comments that the base is rather boomy and a little flat, but that could well be because I don't have anything proper to drive them at the moment (I'm contemplating how much I can punish my CC with RSA and ASO before my wife disowns me at present).

I'd rate them now as an interesting experiment which I'll probably try re-wiring sometime in the future when I can be bothered. I recall finding what appeared to be the exact same cable as these come with in Dick Smith Electronics (Australian store, think Tandy) some years ago. Looking inside mine, I don't think that the solder job done at the factory was the best to start with.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #302 of 315
Well, fish, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I bought the 45Xs (BEFORE I read all the negative comments, of course). There were only two left at Electronics Bonanza, and I didn't want these to get away, since I'm in the market for DT990s, and according to AudioCats, they're a cheap imitation. I guess we'll find out if that $45 I paid ($35 + shipping) is worth it. I've got a computer with a Soundblaster Live! card, but I'll probably be running them out of my vintage Sony STR-2800, due to their apparent power-hungry nature.

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #303 of 315
I still have my 45x (sold the 55x), and I still like it. Done a few mods to it, and I think it is pretty much maxed out at this point
*took out the baffle foam ring, and stuffed in polyester fleece (bass improvement)
*took out the two foam discs in the housing, installed one layer of HP foam and a 10mm x 10mm piece of sticky note as reflector (the effect is very obvious). filled the rest of empty space with polyester fiber. (bass improvement/echo reduction)
* Changed the ear pads to a velour oval pad.(echo reduction)
* finally, recabled to teflon insulated solid wires. This help out the mids alot.

The final result is:
* very strong bass. Might have more bass than the 990 but still it doesn't go as deep.
* No more echo.
* to me the sound is now more ballanced than the 990. But apparently my taste is not quite the same as everybody else.

The QP drivers don't have as much resolution as Grado's. When both with silver cable, it is quite obvious the iGrado has more details than the QP (but only when with silver cable, in stock config the different is not obvious). Of course, the QP's wins with the bass.

I will take the QP's to the 3.22 GreenWood meet, if you go you can take a listen to the "fully" modified version (with quad-braid silver/copper/teflon cable
eek.gif
).

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #304 of 315
I ended up getting my replacement 55x's before my AKG's. My original 55x's had pads similar to those on my 701's, in which the foam has gone flat unfortunately. I can't believe I drove a pair for so long (13 or more years) just out of my computer, but I guess it saved my ears from damage! I still need to burn in my pair, but at present the top end is harsh and the base is rather sloppy.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #305 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Changed the ear pads to a velour oval pad.(echo reduction)

Do tell. Which? The QP45x is a bit small, and hurts my ears, actually, with extended periods. The only thing I really didn't like about the 45x is the echo.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #306 of 315
to do a full echo reduction you will need both polyester fleece (replacing the baffle foam ring) and velour pads.

The ones I got were from a pair of panasonic phones, they were actually pleather but the pleather started to peel off due to age. So I washed them in warm water and peel off most of the pleather, revealing the velour underneith..... They are not that big, so comfort is still not up to the 55x level.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #307 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly the same serial #'s for both models!?
eek.gif

it turned out the 0694 is probably a lot #, since ericj's 55x is 0694 too....

IMGP1221.jpg

0694 means they were produced in the 6th month of 1994.

Greets,

Peter Grooff
formely MB Quart Product Manager

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #308 of 315
Nice to meet you Peter.

Funny timing for your post - I just plugged my NOS 55x's into my Apogee Duet, and though it doesn't have the grunt for seriously loud listening levels, I like the combination. I wish I could afford to entertain my curiosity and get a pair of the latest QP400's.

May 26, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #309 of 315
MB_Quart_55X-recabled_05-26_103.jpg

An update: I found a good electronics store here and among quite a bit of Canare and other gear, there was some 24 gauge (1.0mm) teflon coated wire. I have no idea if the quality was any good, as it was $2/m, but I bought 10m and used it to rewire my QP-55s. There seems to be some improvement in the sound as a result, though the treble is now a tad harsh. I suspect the light plastic components would benefit from the application of Dynamat markl modded Denon-style. If I can find a local place in Japan that sells Dynamat, I'm going to experiment.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #313 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These days they call, MB Quart 250 or in the new name GMP 250 GMP 250 - GermanMAESTRO Shop

BTW, I have the MB Quart 250 new for sale, PM if you want...
happy_face1.gif

As far as I know, the QP250 are not a replacement for the QP45.
FWIR: the QP250, or GMP 250, are supposed to sound better.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #314 of 315
The QP250s are closed, have pleather pads and more bass, but rolled off treble. Electronics Bonanza might still have a few pairs of QP45s. The open MB Quarts/German Maestros are quite bright with not much bass. They tend to get compared to K701s. I'm keen to try a pair of QP400s in the future, though probably not after I get HD-800s.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #315 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The QP250s are closed, have pleather pads and more bass, but rolled off treble. Electronics Bonanza might still have a few pairs of QP45s. The open MB Quarts/German Maestros are quite bright with not much bass. They tend to get compared to K701s. I'm keen to try a pair of QP400s in the future, though probably not after I get HD-800s.

To my ears, the treble of the QP250/ GMP250 is slightly rolled off. Comparable to the K271 IMHO.
I blame the earpads for the slight roll-off. I tried DT770 pads on the 250, and then I got even too much treble (and bass). I'm sure they can sound better with the right earpads. I think I'll try more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back