Reviews, MB Quart QP55x/45x (very very poorman's DT990 & K701 ?)
Aug 1, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #151 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say wait until yours arrives and burn in and then make decisions. These things sound very different to different ears. I like both, with the 45x being the better of the two; Fitz at this point dislike both but think the 45x is more bearable; and scompton think the 55x is good while 45x is horrible..... All different reactions. You probably won't know how you like them until you listen to yours, after burn in.

The horrible was out of my iPod. I listened for maybe 15 seconds from the amp. Not really enough time to form an opinion. Other than I like the pads on the 55x a lot more, but you all you have to do is touch them to know that.

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #153 of 315
Mine came today, and the bass needs help, so I'm burning them in with lots of bass boost. I'll just leave 'em like that for a day or so and then try 'em.

Y'know, it could be merely a case of earpad obesity.. or the wrong kind entirely. HD 414 pads might even be the thing needful. We'll see.

[ominous music] Ya know... I'm seriously thinking of stuffing the sacred Fostex T30 driver/baffles in this thing...

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #155 of 315
How about a survey on these QP's after your phones are burnt-in (3 days minimum?) ? Let's use a scoring system and quantitize the results:

Scoring standards:
+3: Hey, these are so good! I love them so much! Can't live without them
580smile.gif
icon10.gif

+2: They are great; though they are lacking in some areas, I still really like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1: They are good, but not very impressive.
rolleyes.gif

0: I am not impressed, neither like them nor hate them.
plainface.gif

-1: I don't like them, though they do have some strength in some areas.
frown.gif

-2: I dislike them alot, simply too many problems. Won't use them at all.
mad.gif

-3: I hate these phones! Can't wait to hook them to 60Hz 120V and see smokes come out of them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Post the scores in you impressions, lets see how/if the QP's survive in our head-fi critic system....
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #158 of 315
Rocks mostly, Creed, Counting crows, pealJam etc...Nothing special. To me the 45x is good enough for casual listening for rocks, so I gave a +2.

I also like classical, alot. some vocal, jazz, and instrumentals. 55x are better in these areas, but also not too impressive in these areas. So I gave a +1. Personal preferrence.

The scores only show how much you like these phones, and how likely you will keep and use them (for various reasons; you can explain why the score in the impression). SQ impressions need to be explained in details anyway, a simple score # is not gonna be a good enough indicator.

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #159 of 315
My 55X's arrived today. I do like the light weight, and comfort OK. It wouldn't be fair to judge them harshly with no burn in, but burn in better play a big role in their SQ. While not terrible at first listen, there's not much to be thrilled about either. At what I paid though I won't be too hard on them. We'll see what they sound like after some burn in.

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #160 of 315
Whoah, gone for a few days and the backlash sets in! People, the QP55x were marketed up against the DT550 and the K240 around the time the M turned to S. We're not talking high-end. For that, to be fair, you'd have to move up the the QP95, and even then we're talking old series DT990 caliber, no higher. The QP85 Jecklin is the real sweet spot in the MB line, a great way to get a dynamic Jecklin frame on the cheap.

Quote:

Maybe K240s vs. 55x...

Precisely, as I argued when I wrote my big vintage dynamics comparison back in the day. I actually preferred the QP55x. But mine were quite old and had none of the bass problem you all seem to be hearing with those bonanza ones. Bass-boost burn-in might, just might, loosen up those massive diaphragms a bit and bring yours closer to mine.. but they'll still be K240M level headphones even if that works, sorry. In that same review, (search european dynamics, sorry I'm paying for internet right now so I'd rather not search and link) I included a K400, the predecessor to the K401, and it beat the QP55x by a mile.

So, kids, you got a more comfortable pair of NOS K240 for less than the cost of a beaten-up ex-studio pair of the AKGs? You'd better sue Audiocats for leading you down the garden path!

Quote:

Also what amp are you using? Is it one of the super amps? Maybe the QP's demand good amping but don't scale well once a certain level is reached? My listening with the QP's were mostly done with receiver's headphone jack which isn't that great source, but they sound good.....

I'd have to agree that a vintage receiver jack is the way to go for these-- plenty of juice and no unnecessary resolution that would be wasted on these phones anyway. But a pretty good sound within those confines, IMO.

Quote:

Son of the GuN ! ElectronicsBonanza just up the price of both models by $10.... 45x is now $35 and 55x now $42.

I'd suggest whoever already have his/hers just burn-in and enjoy them, but I can't recommand just go grab these phones anymore, they are no longer a "can't lose" deal. Some will like them and the others won't, the current price is too high to just "take a chance". They are no longer "no-brainer" purchases....
frown.gif
.... Need to wait for more reviews (and hopefully electronicsBonanza won't raise the price further when more reviews come out)

I really don't like how electronicsbonanza does business like this
frown.gif

Well, imagine, nobody buys a pair for years, then suddenly a dozen pairs sell in a week. They have no idea what happened. It's true, though, that this pushes the QP55x up to nearer its real value. No idea on the 45x, never heard a pair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried to run the 55x from my iPod. Full volume, almost no sound. For contrast, my 600 ohm K240 Sextetts can be played louder than is comfortable (horrible sound though)

That doesn't make any sense to me. Something's the matter. These should be a little louder than the Sextett's out of an mp3 player. I've owned both headphones, by the way, and tested them against one another on an mp3 player. (cowon, not apple, though)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 55X's arrived today. I do like the light weight, and comfort OK. It wouldn't be fair to judge them harshly with no burn in, but burn in better play a big role in their SQ. While not terrible at first listen, there's not much to be thrilled about either. At what I paid though I won't be too hard on them. We'll see what they sound like after some burn in.

Comfort only OK? This surprises me. I love the way these things fit. The SQ comments I agree on, of course, as noted above. These are not giant killers, though I do think they compete quite well with anything new up to about $70 provided you have a source that can drive them. I'd take them over an SR-60, for example, but mainly because of the comfort.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #161 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, imagine, nobody buys a pair for years, then suddenly a dozen pairs sell in a week. They have no idea what happened. It's true, though, that this pushes the QP55x up to nearer its real value. No idea on the 45x, never heard a pair.

Google qp55x and this thread shows up as the first entry. I think they have a good idea.
wink.gif
The price should continue to go up until every last one is sold. I'd expect it to be similar to how the last K501s went up in price.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #162 of 315
Quote:

So, kids, you got a more comfortable pair of NOS K240 for less than the cost of a beaten-up ex-studio pair of the AKGs? You'd better sue Audiocats for leading you down the garden path!

Doh!... don't give any ideas! The QP people are a wild bunch....
wink.gif

Quote:

though I do think they compete quite well with anything new up to about $70 provided you have a source that can drive them.

Not a good idea to say that, dude. If the bonanza people see that they will add another $10 to the price tag.... oh wait, they are already not selling any after the last price jump
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #163 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google qp55x and this thread shows up as the first entry. I think they have a good idea.
wink.gif
The price should continue to go up until every last one is sold. I'd expect it to be similar to how the last K501s went up in price.

Ah, yes, but now that the thread's taken a turn south with the inevitable backlash (mainly due to unreal expectations, I think. Blame the A250 craze where those unreal expectations were actually satisfied), I don't think they'll see any more sales. Headphone buyers are rarely intrepid, they almost always take what they perceive to be the safest possible route, even if they're only spending $20. So that extra $10 and all this talk about amping will scare off future customers, methinks.

Anyway, I'm concerned about the weird sensitivity/bass issues of this Electronics Bonanza batch anyway, not like the pair I had which were too boomy in the bass, if anything. But then mine had the flatter fabric pads and not the comfy but thicker velours. Right about now I'm kicking myself that I didn't test my "bass-light" but massively-detailed QP95 with the uncomfy pads. It might have solved the bass problem and kept me from selling them.

And I think the last K501s went up in price because $99 was absurdly cheap, a way for AKG to make sure all back stock got dumped so they wouldn't undermine K601/701 sales. They were always worth more than that, in the constellation of new headphone price/performance.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #164 of 315
Quote:

Not a good idea to say that, dude. If the bonanza people see that they will add another $10 to the price tag.... oh wait, they are already not selling any after the last price jump
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Bonanza people are asses to try to take advantage of our thread. They should be grateful they sold any of those things at all, after listing them on ebay for years before anybody bit. It's clearance stock of a discontinued model, after all. That's it people! Until the price comes back down, only buy from head-fiers who got a pair due to this thread. A couple of people are already ready to sell, I think. PM them.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #165 of 315
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort only OK? This surprises me. I love the way these things fit. The SQ comments I agree on, of course, as noted above. These are not giant killers, though I do think they compete quite well with anything new up to about $70 provided you have a source that can drive them. I'd take them over an SR-60, for example, but mainly because of the comfort.

Well I only had them on my head for a minute. I want to burn them in before I do any real listening. So I have no real impressions yet at all, even as to comfort. I will say that I did not expect any real high end can when I ordered these. And I'm not at all disapointed with the build quality/look of these considering the pricepoint. Any real impressions will be forthcoming after I've given these their fair share of breakin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back