Reviewed! Bose Tri port, Vs. Klipsch Image S4 Vs. Etymotic ER-4p Vs. Monster Beats by Dre Vs. Monster Turbines
Jun 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 53

Quote:
Wow, have you come to the wrong place!
evil_smiley.gif

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment
Overpriced cheap plastic cans that sound simply horrible!

And until you hit the Monster Coppers, the Dr. Dre IEMs are also terrible too.

I agree with you with your opinions...
But realistically speaking, what matters is that he's enjoying the sound; no one can bash him for that.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 53

Quote:
I agree with you with your opinions...
But realistically speaking, what matters is that he's enjoying the sound; no one can bash him for that.

Hey, if you're happy great....log off this cursed place and never come back. Enjoy your cans and don't worry about better sound and save a fortune!
smile_phones.gif

I wish I did (several thousand dollars ago
basshead.gif
).

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 53

Wow, I've never heard anyone say that about the S4's, unless they didn't have them inserted into their canals.  They are meant to be worn in your canal like the Ety's.  I had the same experience at first until I read a helpful post about inserting them properly.  The abundant bass is one of the features people love or hate about the S4's.  They can be a bit much for some.  If you still have them I suggest trying to insert them into your canal.  I tend to wear mine with the cables over my ears.  I get a seal either way, I just prefer them up and over.  Once they're in my canals, they won't come out unless I remove them.  I do agree that the case is useless though..

Quote:
4~ Klipsch Image S4 $84.99
Again I had high hopes for these headphones, but over all i was pretty unsatisfied with them. The high end mid range sounds crystal clear and amazing but the bass response leaves a lot to be desired. They felt underpowered and no matter what i listened  to i felt that some thing special was missing, the music sounded empty and hollow. Another problem I had here was the fact that the provided tips refuse to stay in my ears. No matter what i did i couldnt get the phones to seal properly or stay in my ears, even when sitting down. This may be part of the reason for the poor low end, nonetheless I was pretty unhappy with the phones, the metal carrying case was also kind of a pain in the ass, it reminded me of the case that old school zebra gum came in and was easily dented. I will be the first to admit I am hard on my gear and i dont feel the case would have made it more than a month, the packaging also left something to be desired.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 53
The Bose In Ears have their place. I own a pair and I like them for situations where I want to be aware of what is going on around me - non isolating. Also, they have a decent sound stage due to their unusual design. They also work well for going to sleep. That being said they are overpriced (I acquired mine through a trade).  

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #23 of 53
Lol. Good comeback. Seriously, if they were $30 they would probably not earn the degree if scorn they get. They are very comfortable and really should be compared to earbuds rather than in ear monitors

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 53

Quote:
Lol. Good comeback. Seriously, if they were $30 they would probably not earn the degree if scorn they get. They are very comfortable and really should be compared to earbuds rather than in ear monitors

Agreed...at $30 they are not a bad upgrade over the iBuds (and I do prefer them to the Skullcandies in that price range).

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 53
The ER-4P leaking sound?! The Klipsch S4 lacking bass? I can only assume that you are inserting these IEMs (in-ear monitors) like regular earbuds. They go inside your ear canal, many turning slightly to fit the natural curvature that takes place inside your ear canal.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 53
Woould also suggest you try your IEMs with an amp. Usually makes a world of difference.   And I too have never had sound leakage from any of my IEMs, from SLeek, Triple Fi, Klipsch X10, Shure 530 and now Westone UM3X.  Perhaps you are inserting them wrong.
Sorry for all the flaming you're going thru after your review.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 53
I was also extremely confused about the s4 lacking bass and er4p leaking sound.. hmm.
WHAT?

but helpful review I guess. At the majority consumer level, sadly, the beats, turbine, and triport are at the top of the iem offerings, found in retail stores everywhere.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #28 of 53
The op is not inserting the etys or s4's correctly at all. He probably prefers the bose because they dont require a seal (non-isolating)  and they're the only ones that he's getting the full sq potential from. Calling the ety's bass laughable & the s4's bass insufficient speaks only to his inexperience w/ iems & good sound quality.

Anytime I see an OP w/ so few post counts making a thread about lack of bass, I take it w/ a grain of salt. No offense, but he likely doesnt know what REAL bass is...

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 53
Whoa! I can almost see some borderline bashing/flaming in some parts of this thread. It's best to keep it nice - we can be respectful and, at the same time, informative. Don't want to give head-fi a bad reputation, where people would think we're snobby and inconsiderate of others' feelings, right? Let's have a good discussion.

I'd like to think that most of the possible mistakes that the OP has made have already been pointed out, and said OP has likely already acknowledged them. That said, is there anything we may have missed?

I do believe that headphones can (most of the time) be described as being more "audiophile-oriented" or more "consumer-oriented". To the OP, I say, give the "audiophile-oriented" headphones another chance.

Take for example, Skullcandy. Look at their closed, circumaural (around the ears) headphones with the leather stitching and graffiti designs. They're supposed to look good (to a certain crowd), because they're designed as a fashion accessory. They're also far less likely to have an objective of being acoustically accurate when compared to a pair of headphones made by Etymotic Research (especially the ER-4S or ER-4B). ER's objective is acoustic accuracy.

Take this example into consideration and try the audiophile sound - give it another chance.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #30 of 53

Quote:
I was pretty surprised as well, im confident i had them in my ears correctly but i noticed the sound when my father had them in, its possible that he didnt have them in his ears correctly hes pretty old school and not quite used to having things that deep in the canal. The Etymotic put out some quality sound, it was precise and accurate but just not what i was really looking for.
And if you can hold a conversation with those tips in your ears you have way better hearing that i do because they cut out virtually all outside sound without even being on. Maybe a few years down the line ill give um a try again with a headphone amp or something.
Thanks for the feed back

I feel kind of obligated to repost this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back