Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
May 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #646 of 812
Xanlamin: Thanks for the inquiry but I love the LCD-3 as well. I actually find the ZMF X Vibro to be a nice complement - not the kind of "lushness" I hear out of the LCD but really nicely detailed and musical with a touch of warmth. I was looking for a closed can of choice (Vibro) but still very much enjoy the open LCD-3 in the right environment. Good luck with finding a pair, definitely an investment but one that should pay off for years. The same goes for the Vibro by the way.

May 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #647 of 812
Any more impressions of these versus the Alpha dogs? I'm pretty set on these (I'll have to save for about a whole year) but it's always nice to hear more opinions (specifically the Vibro) and if anyone has more amp reccs. That would be swell!

May 6, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #648 of 812
Any more impressions of these versus the Alpha dogs? I'm pretty set on these (I'll have to save for about a whole year) but it's always nice to hear more opinions (specifically the Vibro) and if anyone has more amp reccs. That would be swell!

Come to the Chicago meet and hear both.

May 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #649 of 812

Or the Nashville meet!! :)

By the way, Zach has (incredibly generously!!!) donated a set of ZMF V1 cans to the Music City Meet, so we're gonna raffle 'em off there!! (Now I'm hoping we can get Stax to show the same level of awesomeness that Zach has... 
biggrin.gif
). 

May 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #650 of 812
Update: ZMFs and Infinity Preamp, and a short comparison to the Oppo PM-1s:

I've been following this thread and been intrigued by all the new options and variations since I bought my ZMF-1s last year.  But no comments on those developments.  Rather, this is a very short follow up to my previous posts (page 12 #178 and page 22 #319.) 
Short because I'm getting ready to go out of town this afternoon.

Got my vintage (~1975) Infinity FET preamp back from the tech today, with its newly repaired headphone circuit.  As mentioned previously, this preamp was notable for (among other things) a 6 watt headphone output (load not listed.) I thought it might make a good match for the ZMFs and other planars.  Bottom line:  it's brilliant! Just a bit leaner in the mids than my Schiitt Lyr, but with greater low-end heft and authority.  This preamp was one of the very first to use FETs and the overall sound is very full and liquid - maybe a touch "romantic," with enormous separation of individual musical components and a massive 3-D soundstage (though not as evident with headphones.)

While at it, I pulled out my newly acquired and much-ballyhooed Oppo PM-1s for a comparison to the ZMFs. In short, the two are remarkably similar in sound (perhaps to be expected as they are both planars.) There's a slight variation in male voice presentation, but I haven't listened enough to say more.  Nonetheless, the comparo makes me recognize anew the quality of Zach's work.  Sonically, a very similar signature at a fraction of the price. Certainly, the PM-1s are sexier and more beautiful, and they are more efficient, and, I think less source-dependent that the ZMFs - but if you want the best bang for the buck, the ZMFs have got to be near the top of anyone's list in their price range (and well above!)

More details when I get back home next week.       

May 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #652 of 812

Got my vintage (~1975) Infinity FET preamp back from the tech today, with its newly repaired headphone circuit.  As mentioned previously, this preamp was notable for (among other things) a 6 watt headphone output (load not listed.) I thought it might make a good match for the ZMFs and other planars.  Bottom line:  it's brilliant! Just a bit leaner in the mids than my Schiitt Lyr, but with greater low-end heft and authority.  This preamp was one of the very first to use FETs and the overall sound is very full and liquid - maybe a touch "romantic," with enormous separation of individual musical components and a massive 3-D soundstage (though not as evident with headphones.) 

I think I need to get on the vintage amp/pre-amp bandwagon.  My Father had/has an old pioneer that I love and you really can't go wrong with those old-big daddy speaker amps/receivers if you have the space for them.  From all I've heard they sound fantastic too with just about anything you can throw at them!

I don't think I've heard an amp match the meaty mids of the LYR yet.  I have the Mullard 6923 (is that right?) tubes, and it's a beautiful warm ride.

Thanks for the info!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #653 of 812
When I had the ZMFs for review a year or so ago I ran them off my Kenwood Eleven III and my Pioneer SX 950.  Both produced outstanding results, with the Kenwood a little more lush and romantic and the Pioneer having greater dynamic contrasts.  Highly recommend that you add a vintage receiver to your headphone amplifier inventory. 

May 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #654 of 812
Great write up on the ZMF x Vibro on Part Time Audiophile (see the Big versus Small section). http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/05/13/axpona-2014-sweet-home-chicago

May 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #655 of 812
I'm hoping there'll be some time on June 22nd for me to A/B the Alpha Dogs against the final version of the Vibro. Looking forward to picking one or the other up. I'll let you know then what I think!

May 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #656 of 812
A couple of ZMF headphones (the V1 among them) made an appearance at the Music City Meet, and there are some impressions in the meet thread if anyone's interested.

TL;DR summary: the V1 was a rockstar, and one of the stars of the show for several of the attendees (myself included). I heart it mightily. 

Anyhow, carry on! :)

May 20, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #657 of 812
  A couple of ZMF headphones (the V1 among them) made an appearance at the Music City Meet, and there are some impressions in the meet thread if anyone's interested.

TL;DR summary: the V1 was a rockstar, and one of the stars of the show for several of the attendees (myself included). I heart it mightily. 

Did you get a chance to try out the ZMF v2?  I personally prefer it slightly over the v1, but that might just be because I have something that covers what the v1 does normally. 

May 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #658 of 812

What did y'all think of ZxV?

May 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #659 of 812
Did you get a chance to try out the ZMF v2?  I personally prefer it slightly over the v1, but that might just be because I have something that covers what the v1 does normally. 

Nope, just the V1, but it was definitely enough to rouse some interest in the ZMFs in general. I still wouldn't mind hearing the V2, but the V1 sounds like it would be more my style anyway, honestly :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back