Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Apr 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #631 of 812
Better late than never
wink_face.gif
.  Long time lurker, but felt compelled to post about my ZMFs!

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #633 of 812
Nah it's all about what YOU like not anybody else.
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #634 of 812
Has anyone compared this with the Audeze LCD-XC? I want an open back can, but it's prolly be a year or two longer wait for that then this. And if prolly upgrade my amp/DAC... I've heard the Vibro and loved it, but in wondering if the LCD is worth an extra long wait versus this one (also if the step up is worth the extra $1100)

May 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #635 of 812
Has anyone compared this with the Audeze LCD-XC? I want an open back can, but it's prolly be a year or two longer wait for that then this. And if prolly upgrade my amp/DAC... I've heard the Vibro and loved it, but in wondering if the LCD is worth an extra long wait versus this one (also if the step up is worth the extra $1100)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=birsHLZC44M

There is this, t50rp mods vs xc. I would say the XC is not worth that much money over the vibros. $1100 is a lot of money.

May 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #636 of 812
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=birsHLZC44M

There is this, t50rp mods vs xc. I would say the XC is not worth that much money over the vibros. $1100 is a lot of money.

Thanks for the video.  I think I recall seeing part of that video a while back.  I think I'll go with the ones that I know that I liked... trust one's ears, and it seems like the ZMF is an excellent value for the money, and I know for a fact I'd be happy with those. Thanks for the link!

May 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #637 of 812
Not to hate on ZMF because you know I love the headphones but open vs closed in the same tier and open wins every time except in bass.

Headphone making is has a TON to do with dampening and using the right density,placement, and positioning of material to prevent unwanted frequency distort ions and reverb issues and open backs fix a lot of that from jump by letting the sound OUT.

That LCD x will have qualities about it no closed headphone can

May 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #639 of 812
Not to hate on ZMF because you know I love the headphones but open vs closed in the same tier and open wins every time except in bass.

Headphone making is has a TON to do with dampening and using the right density,placement, and positioning of material to prevent unwanted frequency distort ions and reverb issues and open backs fix a lot of that from jump by letting the sound OUT.

That LCD x will have qualities about it no closed headphone can

Yeah, it's part of why I didn't pick up a pair of ZMF's when I first was trying out cans even though they were fantastic for closed back.  I'm in the market for a pair of closed backs now, to complement my opens.

May 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #640 of 812
Yeah, it's part of why I didn't pick up a pair of ZMF's when I first was trying out cans even though they were fantastic for closed back.  I'm in the market for a pair of closed backs now, to complement my opens.

Then your plane has landed! Time to get off and enjoy

May 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #641 of 812
Then your plane has landed! Time to get off and enjoy

It absolutely has!  I was actually apparently the first to hear the very first prototype of the Vibro, and I thought it was one of the most phenomenal and even-handed headphones I have ever heard.  Extremely enjoyable.  And it's only gotten better since that very crude prototype, or so I hear.  Now I just have to wait for my treasure hoard to regenerate! 
tongue_smile.gif

May 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #642 of 812
 It absolutely has!  I was actually apparently the first to hear the very first prototype of the Vibro, and I thought it was one of the most phenomenal and even-handed headphones I have ever heard.  Extremely enjoyable.  And it's only gotten better since that very crude prototype, or so I hear.

I can attest to that. On the one you heard (beta 1), I thought the treble wasn't effortless with all three separate bassports left open. Beta 2 was actually too bright for me when used with the same configuration. The final version has this problem licked: clean, smooth treble and not muffled either.

May 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #643 of 812

I can attest to that. On the one you heard (beta 1), I thought the treble was a little bright with all three bassports left open. Beta 2 was actually noticeably a little worse in this regard. The final version has this problem licked: clean, smooth treble and not muffled either.

+1
Alright!  I noticed a bit of a muffle, though the new ones do seem more polished.  And I could have done with just a slight notch down in the treble (although having just listened to a pair of Grados, my impressions were not as spot-on as they could have been.  I liked the more "out of head" sound of the vibro compared to many lesser closed-backs though.

May 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #644 of 812
I had the chance to head to Axpona in Chicago last week and meet Zach / listen to the ZMF X Vibro. Needless to say, I was quite taken and ended up walking a way with a pair :). I've spent a lot of time with them over the past week and am blown away that I'm getting this kind of sound out of a closed can. Awesome clarity, detail and dynamics. Great separation and wide soundstage. Bass is articulate and has greater weight that I was expecting from a t50rp mod. Plus, the ZMF X Vibro is super comfortable and GORGEOUS. I've been searching for a closed can for a couple of years (have owned Momentum, B&W P5, Ultrasone Pro 900, AT M50, Mad Dog 3.2) and have come to the end of the road thanks to these. 

May 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #645 of 812
  I had the chance to head to Axpona in Chicago last week and meet Zach / listen to the ZMF X Vibro. Needless to say, I was quite taken and ended up walking a way with a pair :). I've spent a lot of time with them over the past week and am blown away that I'm getting this kind of sound out of a closed can. Awesome clarity, detail and dynamics. Great separation and wide soundstage. Bass is articulate and has greater weight that I was expecting from a t50rp mod. Plus, the ZMF X Vibro is super comfortable and GORGEOUS. I've been searching for a closed can for a couple of years (have owned Momentum, B&W P5, Ultrasone Pro 900, AT M50, Mad Dog 3.2) and have come to the end of the road thanks to these. 

Would you consider selling your LCD-3 since you got the Vibro? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back