Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #407 of 812
Logo looks great!  Now your mod is distinguished from the cookie cutter mods out there

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #408 of 812

Subtle I know, but I didn't want it to draw too much attention...
smily_headphones1.gif

good choice!

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #409 of 812
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #411 of 812
Did anyone take out the foam strips underneath the hm5 pads? I tried taking it out and the bass was tighter but soundstage and imaging suffered a bit. Not sure whether I'm gonna leave them in or not.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #414 of 812

I got a V1 with a gold re-jack and mogami cable (holiday package deal) about a week ago. Overall I really like these.

These have a very smooth sound. The bass is strong and potent with nice texture and extends deep into the sub bass. When called for, the bass can be strong but also is in line with the midrange when needed. Speaking of the midrange, the mids on these are very natural. The treble is not harsh, grainy, or sibilant in any way shape or form. Im usually relatively sensitive to fatiguing treble but these have very smooth treble without rolling off a whole lot.

These overall have a very smooth warmish sound to them (imo). They have little to no grain in the sound and a sense of realism to it that is probably from the planar magnetic drivers.

Comfort wise these are quite comfy with the leather strap and soft ear pads however it is a bit heavy which is the nature of planar magnetic drivers. Coming from dynamic driver headphones, these will seem a bit heavy. Otherwise there's not too much I can complain about. I also stretched the headband out a bit to ease the clamping force.

I also have a pair of V2's that i got a couple weeks ago. While the V2 doesn't have the gold re-jack or mogami cable I feel i can still compare both. The v2 is obviously more bassy and warmer. To me the v2's have too much bass as I wouldn't want any more bass than what the v1 provides. It still has the same tonal characteristics of the v1 just with a boost in the lower mids and bass. I'd say for most people on this forum the v1 is the way to go. However lots of people here have v2s and enjoy them so what do I know? :wink:

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #415 of 812
I also have a pair of V2's that i got a couple weeks ago. While the V2 doesn't have the gold re-jack or mogami cable I feel i can still compare both. The v2 is obviously more bassy and warmer. To me the v2's have too much bass as I wouldn't want any more bass than what the v1 provides. It still has the same tonal characteristics of the v1 just with a boost in the lower mids and bass. I'd say for most people on this forum the v1 is the way to go. However lots of people here have v2s and enjoy them so what do I know?
wink.gif

If the V2 has more bass, but still has the same mid and treble clarity, I would definitely prefer the V2.  I find myself boosting the bass of the one (V1) I have by about 3 db and can go more. One reason is that I listen a low volume so bass need to be boosted since human hearing is not linear and bass perception increases as volume increases.  

UL

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #416 of 812
If the V2 has more bass, but still has the same mid and treble clarity, I would definitely prefer the V2.  I find myself boosting the bass of the one (V1) I have by about 3 db and can go more. One reason is that I listen a low volume so bass need to be boosted since human hearing is not linear and bass perception increases as volume increases.  

UL

I think it's because you have the srh840 pads on your headphones rather than the hm5 pads that Zach now provides.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #417 of 812
^awww i can imagine them with the black risers. that is the slickest pair yet!

I would try version two this time. has anyone heard these and the mad dog 3.2 at the same time?

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #418 of 812
I just compared my ZMF to my new HD650 today and...I think I'm going to get rid of the HD650. While I do find the HD650 to be more coherent and organic than the ZMF, they sound similar enough that they're almost redundant, and since I can get more money from the HD650, it'll have to be the one that's headed out.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #419 of 812
  I just compared my ZMF to my new HD650 today and...I think I'm going to get rid of the HD650. While I do find the HD650 to be more coherent and organic than the ZMF, they sound similar enough that they're almost redundant, and since I can get more money from the HD650, it'll have to be the one that's headed out.

that is exactly literally what I thought when I had both. I had v.1 though. This time I will try v2. I did think that the zmf v1 had better instrument separation and deeper extension though, while the hd650 had slightly more realistic timbres, barely.

I did end up keeping the hd650 in the end but I said the same exact thing. Now I am reaching for the zmf v2 instead of the 650 again. btw the 7520 has the best of both in a way but is more thick, congested, bass heavy, and forward, and drier than both with similar highs if not a smidge brighter still kinda dark. A better companion may be the yamaha hph mt220. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #420 of 812
I have the V2, which actually sounds a little warmer than the HD650. It's nice, but now I want something a little airier to compliment it for light music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back