Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Jan 28, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #421 of 812
I have the V2, which actually sounds a little warmer than the HD650. It's nice, but now I want something a little airier to compliment it for light music.

when I hear the word warm it usually means bass.... I used to say that all the time because warm to me meant not bright and not harsh but smooth and full mids... then I looked at that glossary thing a long time ago and it said bass. 

is v2 more bassy than the hd650?

If you want air stay away from the 7520(7520=no air). for light and less busy music go for the x1 but stay away from it if you want it to be exciting imo and engaging. Its soft and has small instruments good bass and air. a song like imagine dragons-radioactive sounds poor but some simple acoustic sounds good. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #422 of 812
I think the ZMF is slightly bassier, but it could be because it sounds a little more closed in.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #423 of 812
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/

Question... The $50 zpex rewiring option. Is that only necessary if you want to use the xlr connectors? or is that to improve sound quality when using a normal headphone connection?

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #424 of 812
I just got my V1s from Zach.  USPS' reputation for awful international delivery speeds came true unfortunately.  

Now about the headphones themselves.  They're obviously modded headphones as I can still see the glue and tape around the cups...a bit too rough I think but its OK since the sound is absolutely fantastic.  No complaints here, they're extremely smooth and have a lot of very tight bass and sub-bass.  The treble is also prominent but its absolutely not fatiguing.  They're also very comfortable, despite the weight, probably due to the leather headband.  I didn't get the pilot pad, so I have no idea how that feels, but I imagine its pretty good.  

All and all, I'd definitely recommend these headphones. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #426 of 812
Because my head has a bump on top, the leather conforms better as it bends to shape as a suspension strap. It also feels and looks lighter and cooler as it is thinner.   I suspect however that for most people, the larger cushioned headband may feel more comfortable.  Really, neither is a bad choice.

ULUL

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #427 of 812
does anyone have the zmf and the mad dogs?

I really want to compare them but I would have to sell off some gear to head them up.. I am liking my gear lol. I don't think anyone has every compared them while having both.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #428 of 812
I should be able to compare them to the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs soonish.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #429 of 812
  I should be able to compare them to the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs soonish.

awesome!

is that what you decided on to have something with more air to compliment the zmf?

I know I will want a more airy listen sometimes as well. Instead I think I will be trying out the he400i or he560 when it comes out. Now those may be worth selling some gear for.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #430 of 812
I'm very much considering the Alpha Dogs, but since the store has Mad Dogs too, I might as well jot down some quick impressions. And agreed! Both of them are calling to me.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #432 of 812

I have the two. Like them both very much, they sound different enough to own both.

you have a few of them including the thunderpants. 

your impressions are gold to me!!!

if you have the latest version it would be very helpful for you to do a write up comparing them. but not everyone likes to do that. I would like to though. 

I always think about how I will procure both to do a comparative write up. i only had the mad dog 3.0 and it surprised me how different they were. I did not like the 3.0 at all. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #433 of 812
The new ones are much better then the 3.0. The Mad Dog always reminds me of a closed LCD-2 , a bit dark with sweet midrange and a seductive sound that is smooth. The newer version definitely has more low end then the previous versions.

The ZMF has more of a balanced sound and remind me more of an  closed HE-500. I have the v2 and I use Alpha Pads. The ZMF has a brighter treble response, more air and better separation then the Mad Dog. The v2 have plenty of bass, but not as much as the Mad Dog.

Both Zach and Dan do a fantastic job with their mods. I think it just comes down to preference. To my ears the ZMF definitely does a better job with female vocals, jazz and acoustic music. The Mad Dogs sound better to me with rock, EDM, R&B or any bass oriented music. The ZMFs are the more natural and organic of the two.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #434 of 812
  The new ones are much better then the 3.0. The Mad Dog always reminds me of a closed LCD-2 , a bit dark with sweet midrange and a seductive sound that is smooth. The newer version definitely has more low end then the previous versions.

The ZMF has more of a balanced sound and remind me more of an  closed HE-500. I have the v2 and I use Alpha Pads. The ZMF has a brighter treble response, more air and better separation then the Mad Dog. The v2 have plenty of bass, but not as much as the Mad Dog.

Both Zach and Dan do a fantastic job with their mods. I think it just comes down to preference. To my ears the ZMF definitely does a better job with female vocals, jazz and acoustic music. The Mad Dogs sound better to me with rock, EDM, R&B or any bass oriented music. The ZMFs are the more natural and organic of the two.

aww man this makes me wanna try both all the more. I love v1 just wanted more bass. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #435 of 812
Just got my ZMF's. Version 1. Listening to the first song on them now. These are incredibly smooth!  

Also I am getting plenty of bass depth and impact. Just about perfect there. not too little not too much. And most of the phones i was considering were in the basshead club just to make sure mind you. But i went with these instead. And I am not dissapointed. The very lowest of lows have a nice subwoofer on the other side of the club presence. It's definitely there. I't just very controlled not to bleed into the mids. Not that i would enter these in the bass club... but I have multiple IEM sets with less bass than these anyway.

Basically loads of detail in all regions and no humps of any sort except a maybe little extra zazz right in the female vocal region. But that might be my amp which is known for exactly that. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyW3hkkaQbk

(of course im listening in flac though... not the youtube :)

.... After listening to some more music. I realize that there is no spike anywhere. That was just that track and Thievery Corporation in general that is bright in that area. These things are indeed perfectly liquidy smooth as far as im concerned. I'm not good with all the big words like any kind of audio vet around here. I'm still learning a lot as i go. But this was definitely a solid purchase. These do it all!!!

well separated and extended yet well controlled on the most visceral death metal you got. so long as it's reasonably well mastered i suppose.
I could see some wanting just a teeny tiny bit more of an "in your face" sound for dubstep. But they do have again a nice liquidy separation that when listening to any reasonably well produced music. Is just damn fine. Really nice stuff. 

I am absolutely smitten with my purchase. Enamored even! Just chuffed to bits!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back