Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #8,611 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by audio-gd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a whole product.It is a digital processor.
I test it by a DVD SPDIF input and output SPDIF to DAC, sound is better than use DVD SPDIF direct to DAC.
And it can input USB, output 44-192K/24Bit for DAC, we hope the sound can better than some mid( or high)-grade CD transmit.

That's a great idea Kingwa...I think I understand what your driving at now. Truly unique and much needed device ....I hope it works out as planned. This has the potential to even the playing field among computer sources and the various digital outputs they have. If all three output types can be brought up to a level considered audiophile quality (whatever that is) then it's a breakthrough product IMHO.

Peete.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #8,612 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sold something I wasn't really planning on selling and now my budget has been raised to $350. I was looking at the Darkvoice 336SE.

So for that price what might you suggest? Should I just go with the ZERO for now and down the road get a higher end amp and use the ZERO as a DAC?

I'm using my MacBook as a source so it's pretty garbage.

I say get the Zero. Your 701s will still sound great out of the Zero amp. When you get the money simply get the Darkvoice you have your eyes on and you have a really nice setup.

Also, I recommend you upgrade the Zero DAC to its full potential by replacing the OPamp chip with an HDAM (probably the Moon). This replaces the chip with more discreet components, and improves sound quality.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/opa...pdates-372219/

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #8,613 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mechtech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say get the Zero. Your 701s will still sound great out of the Zero amp. When you get the money simply get the Darkvoice you have your eyes on and you have a really nice setup.

Also, I recommend you upgrade the Zero DAC to its full potential by replacing the OPamp chip with an HDAM (probably the Moon). This replaces the chip with more discreet components, and improves sound quality.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/opa...pdates-372219/

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Good Combo. I'm sure the Darkvoice will do the dirty deed!

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #8,614 of 9,388
Is an rca cable to a headphone output on a laptop more or less favorable than some other connection methods such as toslink, etc? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #8,615 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is an rca cable to a headphone output on a laptop more or less favorable than some other connection methods such as toslink, etc? Thanks.

Ideally, you want to get SPDIF(ie digital) out of your Laptop. If you have no direct digital out, then a USB to SPDIF adapter. Does your laptop do SPDIF out?

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #8,616 of 9,388
Unfortunately I don't have an SPDIF out on my laptop so I guess I'd have to settle for a USB to SPDIF adapter.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #8,617 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I don't have an SPDIF out on my laptop so I guess I'd have to settle for a USB to SPDIF adapter.

That would get your sound processing totally out of your noisy laptop environment. It would make it where you could use a good DAC and headamp compared to the "stock" Soundcard in the Laptop which is probably junk.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #8,618 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will need to choose between the Earth, Sun and Moon. The general concensous here is that the Earth is the most neutral (and as such the most liked here), the Sun is a bit too forward and bright, and the moon is newer, perhaps warmer and more "tube-like".

So, Im rather new here (as ye can see from post count), but from reccomendation from a buddy of mine I bought the Zero. Extreme improvement over my old setup, which was on-board stuff from my computer. Now it is Optical from motherboard, to the Zero and my Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohm).

Im considering upgrading tho, and Ive ordered LT1364, but Im still wondering about the DAC upgrade. Was thinking of OPA627, but maybe Id rather go for a HDAM instead. Its not that big a difference in cost when Im doing an upgrade anyway, and it looks from people here that its a solid improvement even over the 627's.

Still not sure what HDAM to go with tho. I mostly listen to Alternative Rock and Metal, tho I also use them for my regular Computing-use, which also involve tvseries, movies and gaming. Does anyone have a suggestion wether to use the Moon or Earth HDAM? (I guess I shouldnt go with the Sun). Im probably not as into this stuff as a lot of you, but I really enjoy good sound, and when I have the Zero and DT70 I might as well make the best out of it.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #8,619 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oyroy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, Im rather new here (as ye can see from post count), but from reccomendation from a buddy of mine I bought the Zero. Extreme improvement over my old setup, which was on-board stuff from my computer. Now it is Optical from motherboard, to the Zero and my Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohm).

Im considering upgrading tho, and Ive ordered LT1364, but Im still wondering about the DAC upgrade. Was thinking of OPA627, but maybe Id rather go for a HDAM instead. Its not that big a difference in cost when Im doing an upgrade anyway, and it looks from people here that its a solid improvement even over the 627's.

Still not sure what HDAM to go with tho. I mostly listen to Alternative Rock and Metal, tho I also use them for my regular Computing-use, which also involve tvseries, movies and gaming. Does anyone have a suggestion wether to use the Moon or Earth HDAM? (I guess I shouldnt go with the Sun). Im probably not as into this stuff as a lot of you, but I really enjoy good sound, and when I have the Zero and DT70 I might as well make the best out of it.

Hi,
You can't go wrong with the Earth. Lots of support out there for Moon. Everybody would say don't waste time and money on anything but an HDAM. Get the Dual chip version HDAM w/ 200 mm extension cable.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #8,620 of 9,388
Question: I snipped the 22pf caps at the RCA jack. I didn't like the sound, so I replaced them. I still think it's a bit bright so I'm wondering what a pair of 100pf caps would do. Would it likely be no difference or might it tame the highs a little more?

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #8,621 of 9,388
Expanding on the USB-to-SPDIF converter topic and since no one responded to my question regarding it earlier in the this thread, I came upon this unit:

NEW USB to SPDIF & OPTICAL HI-FI Adapter UDA1321/CS8405 - eBay (item 180317611021 end time Jan-31-09 01:11:25 PST)
Seems to be based on Philips UDA1321 chip. Do anyone have any experience on this?

I also stumbled on these other converters:
1. HA mini converter, based on BB PCM 2902 chip. Link: USB TO SPDIF (Use PCM2902) | CAMEL RF
2. Bel-Canto converter at $459 (!!!). Link: Bel Canto's USB Link 24/96 converts USB audio to S/PDIF - Engadget).
3. Hifi DIY kit at $40 but I guess you need to assemble it yourself. Link: USB -HIFIDIY

If anyone have any comments on those aforemnetioned units, it will be really helpful.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #8,623 of 9,388
To add, apparently the HA mini converter has another variant using CM102 chip (???) as shown here: Mini USB TO SPDIF (Use CM102) Converters - eBay (item 280279287691 end time Nov-21-08 12:11:59 PST)

God, this is so confusing.
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8,625 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: I snipped the 22pf caps at the RCA jack. I didn't like the sound, so I replaced them. I still think it's a bit bright so I'm wondering what a pair of 100pf caps would do. Would it likely be no difference or might it tame the highs a little more?

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back