Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 4, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #8,206 of 9,388
Just so I can get this straight, regardless if I've upgraded my soundcard the Zero will bypass it with it's own sound? In other words, does it even matter if I upgrade my soundcard?

Thanks

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #8,207 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so I can get this straight, regardless if I've upgraded my soundcard the Zero will bypass it with it's own sound? In other words, does it even matter if I upgrade my soundcard?

Thanks

Transports can affect sound, so, it does matter, just in a different way. But if you don't use the soundcard as a transport, and use some other way of connecting the ZERO to the notebook, like an coax to USB adapter, then your soundcard wont affect in anyway, the transport would be the adapter.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #8,208 of 9,388
What exactly does transport mean? Sorry, I'm still new to this audiophilia.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #8,209 of 9,388
That would be the device responsible for feeding ("transporting") the audio to your source (e.g. to an external DAC, like the ZERO), it acts much like (and some times is) a soundcard.

Ideally a transport would not "affect sound", but for technical reasons it can, like introducing jitter to the digital stream: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #8,210 of 9,388
What would be the best way to connect a soundcard to the Zero?

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #8,211 of 9,388
Depends on the card your intending to use, you are limited by it's digital outputs. The ZERO has toslink and coax inputs, if you can, use coax.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #8,212 of 9,388
I have a soundcard for a notebook with optical in/out and SPDIF out, which would you recommend I use? Sorry for all the questions.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #8,213 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a soundcard for a notebook with optical in/out and SPDIF out, which would you recommend I use? Sorry for all the questions.

Optical and COAX are two different types of SPDIF

S/PDIF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #8,214 of 9,388
Just want to say that I also just received the HDAM, LT1364, Alps pot from LC off of EBay. arrived in 10 days. All working perfectly. Since people often are more likely to post when they have a problem, I wanted to give some positive feedback as well. Communication was great.

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #8,215 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to say that I also just received the HDAM, LT1364, Alps pot from LC off of EBay. arrived in 10 days. All working perfectly. Since people often are more likely to post when they have a problem, I wanted to give some positive feedback as well. Communication was great.

That is Good News for the forum !!

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #8,217 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earlier, I mentioned that the right side of my headphones exhibited a lot of humming when I turned the gain up. Now... after not too long of having this zero from ebay, I have electrical humming problems when I'm on low gain. Although, this only happens on my right ear, and only for my headphones and not my speakers when I plug them into the headphone amp.

Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks! (Worried that this is due to bad craftsmanship... )

Since it doesn't happen with the speakers and only the headphones, using the Zero headphone jack, have you checked the headphones separately (not through the Zeros) and see if the problem is with the headphones??..

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #8,218 of 9,388
Quote:

if you can, use coax.

Why is coax better? Because you can upsample? I also had been trying to get a grips on what the best method for sending my digital signal to my Zero. I was using the optical out of my crappy motherboard soundcard but I started to notice a little distortion at times. This also occured with the coax out of my soundcard. I am now using the free Xitel that came with my Zero and do not notice any distortions. Would it be worth getting a usb->digital coax?

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #8,219 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopter34234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is coax better? Because you can upsample? I also had been trying to get a grips on what the best method for sending my digital signal to my Zero. I was using the optical out of my crappy motherboard soundcard but I started to notice a little distortion at times. This also occured with the coax out of my soundcard. I am now using the free Xitel that came with my Zero and do not notice any distortions. Would it be worth getting a usb->digital coax?

Simply, because comparably a good coax cable is cheaper and more convenient than a good optical, although the case of a pure 75ohm RCA Coax is a debate going on for ages now... I think the stock optical with zero is pretty substandard, and I am sure going coax (decent) will be far better than going through USB.. IMHO though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back