Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 10, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #7,156 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if it helps, but I asked Lawrence to install HDAM for me, and this is the configuration I got:

Looks like it is not the best idea, but my knowledge in this area is unfortunately very limited yet.

Not to worry that's a good spot for the module. Relocate the HDAM ground wire to the main pcb audio ground and add a 1 uf >50V high quality PIO cap to the across (parallel) V- V+ pins. Swap the NE5532 opamps for samples of LT1364's from Linear Tech.

Give it 350 hours and you'll have one toe tappin' musical little bugger
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #7,157 of 9,388
Tomorrow I will create 2 threads in the DIY forum.

Those threads should cover all the mods...one being specific for the FrankenZERO DIY kit/mod and the other thread all other mods thus far implimented WRT the Zero.

This thread will deal with where to buy, what to ask for, SQ of the unit, gripes and praise etc...

Hopefully the new threads will help make it easier for all those wishing to find information quickly and efficiently.

It's been a long summer for me and this project has taken me tons and tons of my spare time but it's all been worthwhile.....I look forward to further mods, ideas, etc...in those threads.

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #7,158 of 9,388
got my zero a couple days ago, haven't really used it until now.

Tried it out with a broke ass old dvd player that I use to test all my equiptment, a pair of AudioTechnica AD900's, and a few cd's: Metallica's Black Album, Pink Floyd's Meddle, and the Backstreet Boy's Backstreets back.

Amazing, amazing dac/amp.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #7,159 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomorrow I will create 2 threads in the DIY forum.

Those threads should cover all the mods...one being specific for the FrankenZERO DIY kit/mod and the other thread all other mods thus far implimented WRT the Zero.

This thread will deal with where to buy, what to ask for, SQ of the unit, gripes and praise etc...

Hopefully the new threads will help make it easier for all those wishing to find information quickly and efficiently.

It's been a long summer for me and this project has taken me tons and tons of my spare time but it's all been worthwhile.....I look forward to further mods, ideas, etc...in those threads.

Peete.

This is very interesting for us that live in countries other than in Europe or North America. If you could link places that sell worldwide I think many people would be very happy too.
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #7,160 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very interesting for us that live in countries other than in Europe or North America. If you could link places that sell worldwide I think many people would be very happy too.
wink_face.gif

Ah there in lies the rub.......I shouldn't assume you'll get the samples....sorry about that Sganzerla.
redface.gif

Digi-key sells worldwide AFAIK. Decent price as well.

Heres a direct link to the page on Digi-Keys US site for LT1364 opamps (6.88US each) CN8 package is DIP and it is the correct package for the sockets in the Zero.

Digi-Key - LT1364CN8#PBF-ND (Linear Technology - LT1364CN8#PBF)

Peete.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #7,161 of 9,388
PP,

I was asking if you could just provide more references os places the sell the pieces we need (if possible, obviously) when posting the 2 threads about modification of this DAC. This would be very usefull for us.

About your sugestion, I think it possible to buy those LT1364 opamps from a distributor here in my city. Will see it soon (Linear Technology). The problem is soldering and substituting things I don't know what exactly they do or what looks like. And of course the danger of doing things in an area you don't have even the basic knowledge.
biggrin.gif

I think will find someone to help me here with those things very soon (one that can borrow the tools I need and teach me the 'how to'). It may take some time but things will be done, for sure.

But anyways, thanks for all the info!

Since I joined this forum thing$ are being done, not at the speed I would like but...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #7,162 of 9,388
capmod.jpg

Ever since replacing these caps, highs became allot less harsh and lows tighter. The ones circled in green are used forpower to the dac and receiver but does anyone know what the blue circled ones might be for? I kind of replaced them on a whim, as I head extra muse KZ caps and saw that they were 100uf..

either way, things sound much better with my k701s

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #7,164 of 9,388
Hey guys,

Just thought id give some more thoughts on my zero. I have had mine for several months now, and have gone through an array of opamps. I really thought id like the sun HDAM the most, but it turns out the earth is definitely better. I have been burning it in for a very long time. I listen between headphones and my bookshelf speakers, a pair of monitor audio's. Well one day, those monitor audios just came alive, it was like i had a different set of speakers as well, i reckon the true potential of the earth HDAM must of kicked in.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #7,165 of 9,388
- OT -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

I'm curious, that nic of yours...do you own any Strats ? My fav axe of all time, the Strat (still my no 1 even though I love Gibby's too ).

[...]

You got it Peete; Been a Strat owner since I bought my first one with my paper route money when 14y.o. - a new ’70 maple neck with that yellowish white (not “Olympic White”) body like Jeff Beck often played ca. late 60's/early 70’s. Had a good luthier who really set it up nicely. But now, for the first time in my life. I'm temporarily “Stratless”. It got stolen along with an early 60’s 40W Vox head when I sold my previous house to buy my current one. All my homeowners’ insurance gave me was 175 bux since I didn’t have a rider claiming it as a vintage instrument.

On impulse I recently grabbed a cheap POS Yamaha electric to have something to play after I became disillusioned trying to replace my old Strat at a reasonable price. The collectors have driven the market for 50/60’s axes thru the roof. I gave up trying to find an affordable pre-CBS (1965 or earlier) Strat or Tele at an affordable price, so I’ve resigned myself that I’ll likely pick up a new “vintage re-issue”.

Like you, I like a large variety of acoustic and electric axes, and am considering maybe a Tele this time, but not sure if I can give up that sweet, full, round sound of a maple necked Strat on the neck PU with the vol and tone pots wide open. I recently played a mint condition late 50’s maple neck-natural body Tele that a friend had inherited from the parent’s of a guy that never returned from ‘Nam. Neither she nor the parents played, and the axe basically was kept in it’s tweed case under a bed all these decades, only coming out occassionaly. It played and sounded amazing. No idea how the strings don't corrode when stored like that, but they were in good shape, oddly enough. The new owner wouldn’t even consider any offers due to sentimental value.

Ohhh….and I refuse to give-up-the-ghost until I’ve owned one decent Martin.
wink.gif

BTW, with fender electrics, I prefer maple necks nearly exclusively

Thx for asking

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #7,166 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not noticed any "problems" with using the LT1469 over LT1364 using any of my headphones. There is NO problem getting enough volume that's for sure. The volume can get VERY high even with the LT1469. I haven't noticed any large change in sound quality either, just a change in sound signature when switching between them.

Thx for the reply.

I've decided to get some LT1469 samples, now too, and may even try the LT1469 in the DAC section, as well as the HPA. But, TBH, I don't feel the stock NE5532's nor the LT1364's drive my K701's sufficiently. I can occassionally play them with the vol pot wide open, which I know leaves no headroom. I think there's going to be an external amp in my near future.

Quote:

I do not know anything about the specs of different op-amps, I only listen to the sound they produce.

It's fun to compare specs with results, but let's face it: The ultimate test is "Do you like it?", right?
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #7,167 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
capmod.jpg

* Viscosity, I hope you don't mind me snatching your pic for demonstration purposes - Thx *

Hey guys,

Check it out.

Right there, between the DAC board and the HPA board. Under the red HDAM cable. The bottom of the case. See them? On the bottom of the case? Yep. Ventilation holes!
beerchug.gif

Exactly where Pench recommended. Perfectly placed for convection. The convection currents flow cool air in from under the chassis right past the HPA Vregs, and then exhaust over the DAC Vregs. Nice.
wink_face.gif

We did stuff like this on internal prototypes at Bell and Howell. It works.

Anyone know how long these new cases with bottom vent holes have been shipping?

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #7,170 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- OT -

You got it Peete; Been a Strat owner since I bought my first one with my paper route money when 14y.o. - a new ’70 maple neck with that yellowish white (not “Olympic White”) body like Jeff Beck often played ca. late 60's/early 70’s. Had a good luthier who really set it up nicely. But now, for the first time in my life. I'm temporarily “Stratless”. It got stolen along with an early 60’s 40W Vox head when I sold my previous house to buy my current one. All my homeowners’ insurance gave me was 175 bux since I didn’t have a rider claiming it as a vintage instrument.

On impulse I recently grabbed a cheap POS Yamaha electric to have something to play after I became disillusioned trying to replace my old Strat at a reasonable price. The collectors have driven the market for 50/60’s axes thru the roof. I gave up trying to find an affordable pre-CBS (1965 or earlier) Strat or Tele at an affordable price, so I’ve resigned myself that I’ll likely pick up a new “vintage re-issue”.

Like you, I like a large variety of acoustic and electric axes, and am considering maybe a Tele this time, but not sure if I can give up that sweet, full, round sound of a maple necked Strat on the neck PU with the vol and tone pots wide open. I recently played a mint condition late 50’s maple neck-natural body Tele that a friend had inherited from the parent’s of a guy that never returned from ‘Nam. Neither she nor the parents played, and the axe basically was kept in it’s tweed case under a bed all these decades, only coming out occassionaly. It played and sounded amazing. No idea how the strings don't corrode when stored like that, but they were in good shape, oddly enough. The new owner wouldn’t even consider any offers due to sentimental value.

Ohhh….and I refuse to give-up-the-ghost until I’ve owned one decent Martin.
wink.gif

BTW, with fender electrics, I prefer maple necks nearly exclusively

Thx for asking

Hi Strat Cat
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep.......that old Hendrix vintage white yellows considerably with time....what I have now is a Highway 1 that has had an entire overhaul (once I found a keeper out of many). A Daphne blue body with maple neck. It's had a complete rework from electronics to hardware (DIY of course). Everything upgraded with the final work done being a complete fret dress and nut swap (for a trem nut). I love it...
smily_headphones1.gif
which was handled by a local luthier.

Man that Tele is a find.......hopefully the owners will sell it you someday.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back