Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 4, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #7,036 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah as soon as the holidays in China end I'm going to order an OPA-Earth and I would love to throw an OPA-Earth or even a Moon in the I+. I'm going to make the measurements next time I open up the I+, but if the HDAM does fit, it's going to just barely make it. Might have some luck taping it to the bottom of the chassis. I'll let you know!

Well, if u order 1 OPA Sun, u will get 1 ALS pot free, 3 RCA plug (suggest u get 2 RCA plug and 1 BNC plug) and silver coated cable.

Dont undermind OPA Sun, my recent listening with OPA Sun seems to give me the speed and dynamics response that I need when listening to Rock.

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #7,037 of 9,388
I think you need to order sat least 3 single opamps in order to get the pot for free.

anyway haas anyone gotten the alps pot from audio-gd? I just ordered from them and they say they have 50k alps pots in stock. what effects do the different resistor values have on the sound or function of the zero?

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #7,038 of 9,388
can i get quick recommendation for opamp that is synergistic with hd650. I'm looking for sharper(quicker) mid and high. I just received a lot of opamps so I would like to prioritize the burn in with your recommendations.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #7,040 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont understand the fear in soldering. its not too difficult, and just needs practice like anything else. not saying im a pro, but you need to start somewhere

i agree...

i practice Soldering damaged USB devices.

but even then there's always a chance to screw up.

always work under Lot of light and comfortable position

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #7,041 of 9,388
Quote:

Well this is the only soldering job I want to do and the investment in equipment + learning just seems not worth it.

They are cheap and expensive soldering station. If u use cheap soldering, be extra careful not to touch the PCB for too long (no temperature control). As for me, I invested in a USD 10 soldering station and I am quit happy with the mod.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #7,042 of 9,388
FWIW -

For anyone wondering if the Alps V-Pot is currently available thru LC as a stand-alone item, and the costs incl shipping to the States:

+++

Dear Sir ,

Yes, ALPS is available.

ALPS vol. pot is $15 including air mail.

I'll send Paypal invoice for your consideration.

Any other things you need ? USB to SPDIF adaptor , OPAMP , HDAM, Good optical cable, ELNA FOR AUDIO CAP to upgrade the cap inside the dac.......etc

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Lawrence

> From: XXXXXXXX
> To: lawrencechanbig@msn.com
> Subject: ALPS Potentiometer for Zero DAC
> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:38:02 -0500
>
>
> <snip>

+++

Not bad, if it's authentic.

So any opinions?

Did anyone successfully clear up thier low volume channel imbalance with one of LC's pots?

Eddie

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #7,043 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW -

For anyone wondering if the Alps V-Pot is currently available thru LC as a stand-alone item, and the costs incl shipping to the States:

+++

Dear Sir ,

Yes, ALPS is available.

ALPS vol. pot is $15 including air mail.

I'll send Paypal invoice for your consideration.

Any other things you need ? USB to SPDIF adaptor , OPAMP , HDAM, Good optical cable, ELNA FOR AUDIO CAP to upgrade the cap inside the dac.......etc

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Lawrence

> From: XXXXXXXX
> To: lawrencechanbig@msn.com
> Subject: ALPS Potentiometer for Zero DAC
> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:38:02 -0500
>
>
> <snip>

+++

Not bad, if it's authentic.

So any opinions?

Did anyone successfully clear up thier low volume channel imbalance with one of LC's pots?

Eddie

Yes......
smily_headphones1.gif

The Alps does clear up the imbalance over the stock pot IMO. I completed the dead simple swap using LC's Alps pot. More than satisfied with the result. The only issue is the shaft length means I need to buy a decent knob now...which is ok in my books. I like having a real metal ...er.....um.... knob... on my hi fi gear
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7,044 of 9,388
Quote:

Well this is the only soldering job I want to do and the investment in equipment + learning just seems not worth it.

You'd be surprised to note that I use a bargain basement pencil iron (35 watt) and buy about 5 tips for it when I get a new one (every year or two).

Just bought a fresh role of solder after finally finishing the role I bought 10 years ago !!! 1 lb of solder for 6 bucks and a 12 dollar iron .....must have gone through 6 tips already in the last 4 years but the initial investment in gear to solder with is minimal.

Now if anyone should invest in a better Weller station ..it's me...and I am going to go that way soon since my rebuilds and other projects require a variable wattage setting....ever try to solder the lug of a large aluminum heat sink into a pcb with a 35 watt iron ? It isn't easy. I can't get away with the cheap iron anymore because of that, but have managed to do quite a few things with the humble 35 watt cheap POS from Radio Shack
biggrin.gif

You never know when you'll need a soldering iron to fix/modify something, they come in handy with today's bevy of electronic devices. It's a good skill to have in anyones electronic repertoire IMHO. I understand your hesitation though....I had the same reservations on my first attempt many many years ago.

Peete.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #7,045 of 9,388
I use the Aoyue 2900 (70W) temp. control station, cheap, reliable, many tips, even 0.1mm (!!!) conical for SMD stuff. Ah, and the handle is very thin, something I find critical for me, I hate bulky handles that obstruct way to much.
smily_headphones1.gif

The tips contain the heating element, so no need to open the handle/iron if the heating element appends to fail.

You can buy one for about 60 USD, this is very reasonable for such a station imho.

But if your starting, a cheap (10/15 USD) iron from a local electronics store will do just fine, avoid the radioshack irons.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #7,046 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Aoyue 2900 (70W) temp. control station, cheap, reliable, many tips, even 0.1mm (!!!) conical for the critical SMD stuff. Ah, and the handle is very thin, something I find critical for me, I hate bulky handles that obstruct way to much.
smily_headphones1.gif

The tips contain the heating element, so no need to open the handle/iron if the heating element appends to fail.

You can buy one for about 60 USD, this is very reasonable for such a station imho.

Agreed...this is my next step up the quality ladder WRT quality tools.

Where did you get the station from DaMnEd ? I'm thinking the 60 US Weller station from partsexpress but haven't decided yet. The added flexibility and tip selection for the job at hand is something I truly need if I plan on any smd type mods.....which I'm sure to run into at some point (been lucky so far, all my stuff has hole through pcbs).

Peete.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #7,047 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed...this is my next step up the quality ladder WRT quality tools.

Where did you get the station from DaMnEd ? I'm thinking the 60 US Weller station from partsexpress but haven't decided yet. The added flexibility and tip selection for the job at hand is something I truly need if I plan on any smd type mods.....which I'm sure to run into at some point (been lucky so far, all my stuff has hole through pcbs).

Peete.

Purchased mine from a local store here in Portugal.

Since you are in the US, you can find them here: Stan Rubinstein Assoc., Inc. > Aoyue 2900 Lead Free Compatible Station (62$). (If you search this station on Amazon.com you will find the same vendor selling them there too)

And tips, well, here you have all the 28 options
wink.gif
: http://www.aoyue.com/down/soldering%...%20element.jpg

Picture of the station:
10073.jpg

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #7,048 of 9,388
Peete - you'll probably find your tips last longer if you were using a lower-wattage iron. I use an 18W for day-to-day messing around, and my tips last an eternity in comparison to the 30W iron I keep for bigger jobs...

Plus, you can keep it in contact with pads longer before it helps them lift
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7,049 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes......
smily_headphones1.gif

The Alps does clear up the imbalance over the stock pot IMO. I completed the dead simple swap using LC's Alps pot. More than satisfied with the result. The only issue is the shaft length means I need to buy a decent knob now...which is ok in my books. I like having a real metal ...er.....um.... knob... on my hi fi gear
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Yeah, I was planning a knob upgrade too, so I’ll do a quick poke around the net, and then if I don't find some other knob I more prefer, I'll just get the same knob Pench used from Parts ConneXion 'cuz I know that one does go really well aesthetically with the Zero, and I like nice aesthetics and tactile feedback.

I remember someone (prior to Dario,) way back in the thread, thinking they had some imbalance issues even after upgrading to the ALPS pot, but I don’t remember if this was resolved or if it was an isolated issue, which is why I posed the question.

I can’t find LC’s pot on the ALPS U.S.A. site, but it could be a “regional only” or “OEM supply” for all we know. But even if it were to be a knock-off, if it works well and fits the tight footprint I’m happy to grab it. At least I know it’ll fit.

Eddie

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #7,050 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete - you'll probably find your tips last longer if you were using a lower-wattage iron. I use an 18W for day-to-day messing around, and my tips last an eternity in comparison to the 30W iron I keep for bigger jobs...

Plus, you can keep it in contact with pads longer before it helps them lift
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Thanks for the ....uh.....tips AP
biggrin.gif
, always appreciated !!!

50 cent tips don't last and are OK for light duty IMO. My usage would be considered heavy by any standard though. A dedicated quality variable wattage station makes the most sense for me, rather than playing musical pencil irons.

Thanks DaMnEd !!!

I like that station immensely after checking it out.....It's a terrific value considering what Weller has to offer in that price range. I think I'll buy myself one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back