Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #6,181 of 9,388
The computer as transport to the FrankenZero is still the best IMO...although the HK and Ah ! Super Tjoeb 4000 (ref palyer in main rig) are great in their own right.

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #6,182 of 9,388
Andrea alert......for Christ's sake Andrea...get a life...and stop posting here...bloody worthless information folks...
rolleyes.gif

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6,183 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colmo dei Colmi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you know...differently from the duals, the single opamps have the + power supply on pin 7 (not 8). It's like that.

No crap .....really ? (major sarcasm alert)
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6,184 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colmo dei Colmi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, should I get a life... and you instead...
beerchug.gif

....ignore list...

Ban and post removal soon to follow....

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #6,185 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooops. Looks like Lawrence is too busy to carefully check the question. At least Kingwa try to put himself into my position.

I am eager to know the outcome once yr regulator board arrive for a test.

Lets see if the humps are intrinsic problems or due to resource draining. Since whatever u do is 'non destructive and easily reversible', I have no further concern.

Agreed CC,

I don't blame LC for the lack of understanding...the poor guy is up to his neck in orders. He's trying at least, and that's what counts in my book
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the outcome of the original concept can be easily tested and reversed if need be...and I do agree with the SQ "humps" being effected by a leaned out supply...that makes terrific sense that it would drastically alter the final SQ outcome...almost like severe clipping lops off the top and bottom of the sign wave due to no head room left in the power supply and output transistors.

AP correct me if I'm wrong on that one...seems like a similar type of fault to me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #6,186 of 9,388
Thank you mods...you guys(and gals) are quick
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #6,187 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Pricklely Peete, now I know why you've been calling it a FrankenZero LOL.

Yep...thanks to Pench for coining that term
biggrin.gif

It's appropriate I think...although if you didn't know what to look for it doesn't stray too far from the stock look...all the additions are on the underside of both pcbs...hidden away
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #6,188 of 9,388
PP: Is that cap mod really works? I mean add a cap between pin 4 and 8?

I just found some .22 500v in home

The info on cap is like:

K75-10
0.22 uf +- 10%
500v 50hz
8911 OTK.

Green color.

do you think they are good for this job?

Thanks

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6,189 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PP: Is that cap mod really works? I mean add a cap between pin 4 and 8?

I just found some .22 500v in home

The info on cap is like:

K75-10
0.22 uf +- 10%
500v 50hz
8911 OTK.

Green color.

do you think they are good for this job?

Thanks

Sure those will do it....I only selected the max size, suggested by Burson, since I'll try that option first then go down in size if it's too much. I would imagine the size range will have little impact on the SQ outcome although I haven't tested any other size except 1 uf. It certainly adds to the SQ as Pench has mentioned in his testing...I did this tweak a long time ago before overhauling the Zero to it's present form. I remember,vaguely, what it brang to the table for the HDAM and urged Pench to try it..his observations of it's effects have been painstaking and thorough and his notes on it's SQ's are dead on the money.

Those K75-10's are PLIO ?

I need to look that up.....yep Combined paper and Lavsan in oil, very high quality caps indeed....major thumbs up !!! Here's a direct quote from the same family of caps...these I got for Pench and his forthcoming MK IVSE overhaul

"K75-10 2,2uF 250V PLIO (Combined Papier / Lavsan in Oil ) Russian Capacitors

Lot of 4

Military equipment

New, old stock

Known to be premier quality for audio applications "

I'll be using this type in my Tube amps (pre and power) overhaul (much larger sizes of course) as coupling caps with those Teflon jobs as bypass caps.

Try em out Alex...they will take quite a while to form....200+ hours so be patient with it. The higher the voltage rating the longer they take to form IMO.

Peete.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #6,190 of 9,388
The last 3 months have been a tweak/mod binge....maybe I should change my nic to Prickley "I'll bypass anything" Peete
biggrin.gif

Peete.

BRB in an hour...have to mail a bunch of caps and pair of tubes....

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #6,191 of 9,388
Cor... this thread moves so much in less than a day! I struggle to keep up... lord knows how folk who only visit once or twice a week manage.

I need to participate more so I can get an uber-title like Peeeete
wink.gif

~Phewl

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #6,192 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure those will do it....I only selected the max size, suggested by Burson, since I'll try that option first then go down in size if it's too much. I would imagine the size range will have little impact on the SQ outcome although I haven't tested any other size except 1 uf. It certainly adds to the SQ as Pench has mentioned in his testing...I did this tweak a long time ago before overhauling the Zero to it's present form. I remember,vaguely, what it brang to the table for the HDAM and urged Pench to try it..his observations of it's effects have been painstaking and thorough and his notes on it's SQ's are dead on the money.

Those K75-10's are PLIO ?

I need to look that up.....yep Combined paper and Lavsan in oil, very high quality caps indeed....major thumbs up !!! Here's a direct quote from the same family of caps...these I got for Pench and his forthcoming MK IVSE overhaul

"K75-10 2,2uF 250V PLIO (Combined Papier / Lavsan in Oil ) Russian Capacitors

Lot of 4

Military equipment

New, old stock

Known to be premier quality for audio applications "

I'll be using this type in my Tube amps (pre and power) overhaul (much larger sizes of course) as coupling caps with those Teflon jobs as bypass caps.

Try em out Alex...they will take quite a while to form....200+ hours so be patient with it. The higher the voltage rating the longer they take to form IMO.

Peete.

I did. But I can not hear the difference
triportsad.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Start to find some 1uf
PP send you a PM. Thanks.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #6,193 of 9,388
I still don't understand what the benefit is of adding this capacitor?

Nor do I have any suitable capacitors to solder into place to see for myself. I did try fitting a pair of larger electrolytics to my OPA-Sun, one from positive to ground and the other from negative to ground. From memory, it didn't make any noticeable difference.

I really struggle with the concept of this mod... I know not everything in life makes sense, but there should be a degree of sense with most of electronics...

~Phewl.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #6,194 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't understand what the benefit is of adding this capacitor?

Nor do I have any suitable capacitors to solder into place to see for myself. I did try fitting a pair of larger electrolytics to my OPA-Sun, one from positive to ground and the other from negative to ground. From memory, it didn't make any noticeable difference.

I really struggle with the concept of this mod... I know not everything in life makes sense, but there should be a degree of sense with most of electronics...

~Phewl.

I guess it just something like "save same energy when needed later".
I tried .22 and I did not feel the difference so I want to try 1. LOL . If still no difference I will blame my ear and forget about it.
atsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #6,195 of 9,388
It takes time to show up.....as in over 200 + hours...this has been tested over and over...with Pench doing an exhaustive study on it of late....

It makes no sense to me either, from an electrical standpoint, yet if you really think about it, it is doing what Burson says...acting as a small (on demand and very close to the HDAM V+ V- pins) hi speed current reserve, at the same time it's further scrubbing the DC line of any noise component. The placement to the HDAM is critical, the shorter the path to the V- V+ pins the better ....

I think what's wrong with this "mod" is expecting a tonal change or shift...when that is not at all what will happen.......I'm sorry If I come across as being short...not my intention at all AP
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back