Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #6,001 of 9,388
Finally got my tracking number for the Zero DAC/AMP. Will be ordering a set of Denon AH-D2000's on Friday to go with the Zero.

Looking forward, as the best headphones I have ever used was a $25 Cyber acoustics headset. lol

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6,002 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trax416 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got my tracking number for the Zero DAC/AMP. Will be ordering a set of Denon AH-D2000's on Friday to go with the Zero.

Looking forward, as the best headphones I have ever used was a $25 Cyber acoustics headset. lol

I do not think you will be happy about D2000 with zero headphone Amp.

PP: Computer PS test failed. It looks like just get right volt and current is not enough.

My power board is hold LA. I do not know how can a shipment from China to Canada can ever be hold in LA for 1 weeks.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #6,003 of 9,388
but the zhaolu has a sufficient power supply for a 3 hdam configuration?
I ask becouse I will have 3 sun hdam in the next weeks and I would want to use all...(I have not bought the zero yet than I have free choice)

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #6,004 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the zhaolu has a sufficient power supply for a 3 hdam configuration?
I ask becouse I will have 3 sun hdam in the next weeks and I would want to use all...(I have not bought the zero yet than I have free choice)

Which one the 2.5 or 3.0 ? It's a different amp and I don't know anything about it. The 3.0 is 300 US and I don't know what the 2.5 cost...200US is a guess.

Can't tell by looking at it from pics...the transformers are covered up and there is no real details posted unless I need to find a better source page.

100VA is a pretty standard size power supply rating for most compact DACs of this class. I don't see the Zhaolu packing anything bigger than that in that size chassis...I could as always be wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS LC by the way used to work for Zhaolu IIRC. That's why the two are similar in design and philosophy...with the Zero being the lesser cost option with the better H/Amp in it. the 3.0 has no headphone amp I think...so that's no good for you ? Can you check that dario please...thanks. I've got to look up specs on the Zero's stock volt regs and see it there is better hi speed, higher current parts. The toroidal transformer has to be uprated to maybe 300VA...need to check all this out and gets prices and such...

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #6,005 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think you will be happy about D2000 with zero headphone Amp.

PP: Computer PS test failed. It looks like just get right volt and current is not enough.

My power board is hold LA. I do not know how can a shipment from China to Canada can ever be hold in LA for 1 weeks.

Figures eh Alex....oh well it was worth checking out at least. Hmm, in LA...What ?

Peete.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #6,006 of 9,388
Quote:

Massive jump in SQ over the Cyber junk (no offense Trax)
smily_headphones1.gif

Why the Denon AH D2000 ? Just curious as to why you picked those...what is the impedance of those cans ?

Peete.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #6,007 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one the 2.5 or 3.0 ? It's a different amp and I don't know anything about it. The 3.0 is 300 US and I don't know what the 2.5 cost...200US is a guess.

Can't tell by looking at it from pics...the transformers are covered up and there is no real details posted unless I need to find a better source page.

100VA is a pretty standard size power supply rating for most compact DACs of this class. I don't see the Zhaolu packing anything bigger than that in that size chassis...I could as always be wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS LC by the way used to work for Zhaolu IIRC. That's why the two are similar in design and philosophy...with the Zero being the lesser cost option with the better H/Amp in it. the 3.0 has no headphone amp I think...so that's no good for you ? Can you check that dario please...thanks. I've got to look up specs on the Zero's stock volt regs and see it there is better hi speed, higher current parts. The toroidal transformer has to be uprated to maybe 300VA...need to check all this out and gets prices and such...

I would refer to the 2,5 the 3 I remember that hasn't the headphone amp...
but I think that is very similar to the zero...

But I'm not expert but the problem is the transformer?
Becouse it seem quite cheap on ebay, for example
100W 15V+15V Toroid Power Transformer for Audio DIY Project
cost 28+26$

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #6,009 of 9,388
Link to Analog board stock reg LM337T (lower right hand corner on the Zero main board, the main regs powering the analog section)

LM337T datasheet LM337Tçš„å‚æ•° LM337T规æ*¼ä¹¦ LM337T技术资料 LM337T ë°ì´í„°ì‹œíŠ¸ LM337T データ・シート application notes

Check out National Semiconductor pdf

Link to other 2 regs on board near power supply connector from toroid LM1117T (National Semiconductor)

LM1117T datasheet, LM1117T data sheets, LM1117T pdf, LM1117T download ETC ::: ALLDATASHEET ::: Takes a while to load.

Seems the LM1117T are feeding the 5V and 3.3V areas and the LM337T's are doing the 15V -15V heavy work for the HDAM and analog section.

From what I can tell from the sheets these should be ok...although it's beginning to look like the regs in the head amp section are the weakest links here. If the voltages are the same (as the LM337T's)...maybe some LM types to replace the obsolete Toshiba's in the H/Amp is in order ?...Something Alex is working on when his reg boards arrive from being held hostage in LA
frown.gif

My reg/transformer idea is looking better and better the more I find out...(which makes feel good since I don't like throwing away money anymore than the next cheapskate
biggrin.gif
)

Peete.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #6,010 of 9,388
Quote:

Massive jump in SQ over the Cyber junk (no offense Trax)
smily_headphones1.gif

Why the Denon AH D2000 ? Just curious as to why you picked those...what is the impedance of those cans ?

Peete.

I picked them because many people suggested them when I asked about what I could pick up in my price range to go with the Zero. The impedance is 25OHM's. I have not bought them yet, and I would be willing to get new ones.

I am looking for something under $300 CAD including shipping.

It was between Audio Technica AD-700/A900. AKG K701, and the Denon AH-D2000.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get? Even if it isn't one of those sets of cans.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #6,011 of 9,388
well I got OPAs today... popped the earth into the DAC and can already notice heavier bass improved sibilance.. and a 'darker' sound which is great as my akgk701s have always seamed a little too bright.

only thing is I bought 4 of these thinking id put 3 into use... so now i got too many.. guess they'll come into use someday

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #6,012 of 9,388
Quote:

Link to Analog board stock reg LM337T (lower right hand corner on the Zero main board, the main regs powering the analog section)

LM337T datasheet LM337Tçš„å‚æ•° LM337T规æ*¼ä¹¦ LM337T技术资料 LM337T ë°ì´í„°ì‹œíŠ¸ LM337T データ・シート application notes

Check out National Semiconductor pdf

Link to other 2 regs on board near power supply connector from toroid LM1117T (National Semiconductor)

LM1117T datasheet, LM1117T data sheets, LM1117T pdf, LM1117T download ETC ::: ALLDATASHEET ::: Takes a while to load.

Seems the LM1117T are feeding the 5V and 3.3V areas and the LM337T's are doing the 15V -15V heavy work for the HDAM and analog section.

From what I can tell from the sheets these should be ok...although it's beginning to look like the regs in the head amp section are the weakest links here. If the voltages are the same (as the LM337T's)...maybe some LM types to replace the obsolete Toshiba's in the H/Amp is in order ?...Something Alex is working on when his reg boards arrive from being held hostage in LA
frown.gif

My reg/transformer idea is looking better and better the more I find out...(which makes feel good since I don't like throwing away money anymore than the next cheapskate
biggrin.gif
)

Peete.

I don't know what you are thinking but I hope that the mod would be possible also for people like me that I know only solder a little and have a little know of electronics
regular_smile .gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #6,013 of 9,388
Quote:

From what I can tell from the sheets these should be ok...although it's beginning to look like the regs in the head amp section are the weakest links here.

<snip>

I was under the impression last time I looked, that the transistors used on the headphone amplifier board were used to increase the strength of the audio signal, and that the voltage was taken directly from the bottom corner of the DAC board...

~Phewl.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #6,014 of 9,388
Quote:

I picked them because many people suggested them when I asked about what I could pick up in my price range to go with the Zero. The impedance is 25OHM's. I have not bought them yet, and I would be willing to get new ones.

I am looking for something under $300 CAD including shipping.

It was between Audio Technica AD-700/A900. AKG K701, and the Denon AH-D2000.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get? Even if it isn't one of those sets of cans.

Look into the Sennheiser HD-600, they should be around 300. Unfortunately the Sennheiser rebate only applies to the US, where it not, you would be able to get 50 USD back from the 300$ they cost.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #6,015 of 9,388
Quick question for CC,

Do I need a +15 -15 V DC reg board and tranny or can I just supply the + pin of the HDAMs with a single +15 V DC line. It doesn't quite isolate using V- on the HDAM connected into the regular circuit.

I've gone with the single supply line of +15V...I wonder if that's incorrect ?

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back