Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 31, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #5,851 of 9,388
Hm okay maybe it will be easier than I am thinking. I build my own computers, hopefully that qualifies me to play around with these things
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the advice!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #5,853 of 9,388
Today since I am on public holiday, I decided to check the ZERO DAC more thoroughly and also the issue about grounding.

To my surprise, the tightening screw at the DAC and headphone board is measured to give about 9V AC. I cant imagine this is possible since ZERO has a earth wire that is tied to the casing.

No choice, I removed the casing earth and tied it to the tightening screw (instead of casing). Now all the tightening screw at DAC and heaphone boards is measured almost zero. (3 mV)

Measuring RCA output to ground, the variations is less than 1 V ac. Can someone tell me why do I get 9V ac on the casing screw. is it due to leakage?

I wonder who knows the specifications of ZERO output voltage. As of now, I took an easy way out, by connecting OPA Earth ground to the tighetning screw. I know I should tied it to the RCA earth, but I am too lazy to do so (involve soldering)

Frankly, I like the OPA ground to be connected to earth, as I feel the sound is more to my liking. Slightly more resolution.

When I measure the earth vs the RCA ground, the difference is minor.

So I was actually riding 9V AC on the OPA ground all this while. phew.

When I measure OPA ground with respect to Earth, I get about 0.3V to 0.2V (signal variations).

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #5,854 of 9,388
Hi, ccschua!

I am waiting for my ordered HDAM and have been reading about your and Peete's grounding discussion. I currently am running the 627au on the DAC with 1361's in the headamps.

I will be looking at doing this also and want to be sure of the best method. Sounds like you have found a good ground but I am not exactly sure of which points you are using (locations on the Zero). Is it possible for a photo or two from you?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #5,855 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of drilling 4 holes just behind each heatsink of the head amp then can sit a small fan on the back left of the Zero vent slots . That should draw cool air into the hot area and exhaust out the back ... Would have to check for dust build up with fans installed ..

beerchug.gif

Gavin ...

I agree with you about the dust issue..... it is possible to use some acrilic fiber on the air intake holes as a dust filter to reduce this problem.... and also cut a big hole, as the pressure of the moving air is not going to be too decreasedl, then limiting the quantity of dust it can push in.....
I guess there is a beautiful way to do that and sill not make Zero loks like Frankenstein...
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #5,856 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my surprise, the tightening screw at the DAC and headphone board is measured to give about 9V AC. I cant imagine this is possible since ZERO has a earth wire that is tied to the casing.

9v between the screw and where exactly?

~Phewl.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #5,857 of 9,388
I have a question guys. When I ordered my Zero, I had to pick between 110V and 210V. I picked 110V. I don't really understand the difference, or the difference it would make in terms of what headphones I can use.,

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #5,858 of 9,388
Well guys... we were talking about how a power line from the house could be filled with "pollution" and that it should be avoided to feed Zero DAC....
Well... I've ran a little search on my bedroom power supply and found this:
The same energy line feeds 8 power outlet on the house, which has connected to it: 2 PCs, celular rechargers, 1 router, 1 wireless router....
The celular charger alone let 5 Volts on the power line when the energy was turned off.... when I plugged it off, I got 0 volts as expected....... Why ? I really don't know.
Well as you guys can see my zero is getting so much pollution from AC outlet...
Not to metion the wireless routr is wall to wall with it.....
beerchug.gif

I think I have to spend some money on filtering all these.... do you guys got any ideia ?
Does a car battery can hold it for long without recharging ? I'm really thinking about buying a car battery and use it to feed my Zero and Yulong speaker amplifier........ what do you guys think ?

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #5,859 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trax416 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question guys. When I ordered my Zero, I had to pick between 110V and 210V. I picked 110V. I don't really understand the difference, or the difference it would make in terms of what headphones I can use.,

Where do you live? The numbers you quote are the input voltages, which you'll have to match with your regional voltage.

If you were to fill in your location field in your profile, for example, we'd be able to advise you on what voltage you need to use.

Adjustment between 115v and 230v is made at the rear of the DAC, and can be simply switched. But use of the wrong voltage can terminate your relationship with your DAC with incredible ultimacy... select 115v in the UK and you'll pop a heap of regulators, and end up replacing the whole unit IMO.

~Phewl.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #5,861 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9v between the screw and where exactly?

~Phewl.

9V between the screw and the earth. The earth is found at the green wire from the power socket.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #5,862 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you live? The numbers you quote are the input voltages, which you'll have to match with your regional voltage.

If you were to fill in your location field in your profile, for example, we'd be able to advise you on what voltage you need to use.

Adjustment between 115v and 230v is made at the rear of the DAC, and can be simply switched. But use of the wrong voltage can terminate your relationship with your DAC with incredible ultimacy... select 115v in the UK and you'll pop a heap of regulators, and end up replacing the whole unit IMO.

~Phewl.

I live in Toronto Canada.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5,863 of 9,388
You picked the right one then, 110V.
smily_headphones1.gif

But do check the setting anyway when the unit arrives.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #5,864 of 9,388
Will do, thanks for the info guys. What a relief.

One last question. I see a lot of people switching out the DAC(i think) and replacing it with an OPA Sun. How would I go about doing this if I were to in the future, and where would I go about buying an OPA Sun.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #5,865 of 9,388
Quote:

Dear Sir ,

HDAM built serious than sun and earth.

HDAM use more FET and transistor than sun and earth.

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Lawrence

I read earlier in the thread that opa-earth and lawrences hdam sound exactly the same, but if they are different pieces of hardware that seems impossible right? Does this mean I should get the one from lawrence? He seems to think the one he has is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back