Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 29, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #4,621 of 9,388
Man I'm going crazy waiting for my LT samples to come in. Otherwise I have no Zero DAC to power my headphones!!! The agony!!

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #4,622 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.And SLUSHIE, I must tell that my problem also became evident after a while (most of the time).
Do you have something connected to your RCA outputs like I did?

Nope, I've never had anything connected to them. If this is a grounding issue, then it might not be getting a good ground with the step-up transformer I have. This is what I'm using ST-300 HEAVY DUTY 300 WATT STEP-UP & DOWN TRANSFORMER

I also turned off DTS. In my sound settings it has those 3 options, but I didn't know you could not select any of them and it would still work. I haven't had time to run it long enough to know if its done anything.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #4,623 of 9,388
Just another semi-rant; been waiting a few weeks for my replacement OPA627s but looks like they might've been lost in transit. Anyways, Lawrence said he'll send me another pair. The wait doesn't really bother me that much though since I don't really need it.

He also mentioned he's been swamped with orders. I wonder how many of his Zero (and related accessories) sales are to Head-Fi members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm back...found a whole whack of WIMA FKP's and decided to hot rod my MF X10 V3 buffer even further, bypassed all the big electrolytic caps with 1000pf and 2200pf WIMA's....then bypassed the 2 NP 470uf output electrolytic caps with .033uf Russian Teflons. Added 14 WIMA's plus 2 Teflons.

Love to see nude pics of your pimped Zero.
smily_headphones1.gif
How does it sound now?

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #4,624 of 9,388
So I dug for the box my amp came in and got the USB adapter thing and I have yet to hear a pop. Its been playing for about 2 hours.

So I went into the settings and the highest output for it is 16bit. Its has bass and treble boost so that's kinda cool

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #4,625 of 9,388
Thats great news!
What kind of USB adapter is it?
I wonder if I can purchase it separately.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #4,626 of 9,388
I would like to use zero for preamp only. I have been waiting for this mod. but I am totally noob in this, almost.

Bypass job
For the lazy people who don't want to install tubes - the easy SNIPIT bypass job is to:
1. Remove the existing RCA sockets and install the proper Gucci jewellery.

> If I use it for DAC section, can I ignore this.

2. Lift the MINUS leg of 1st and 3rd decoupling capacitor - see picture of four Silmic caps in one row. (can be 2nd and 4th as well).

> How to know 1,3 or 2nd and 4th. also how to know if its Minus or Plus.

3. Wire the lifted minus leg to the RCA

> To which pin ? if used for DAC section, can i ignore this.

4. Don't forget to add ground to the RCA's

again for DAC section, should I ignore this.

5. Remove opamp from sockets.

> ok just remove.

6. If unused - remove the Headphone section altogether.

> I will remove this.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #4,627 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just another semi-rant; been waiting a few weeks for my replacement OPA627s but looks like they might've been lost in transit. Anyways, Lawrence said he'll send me another pair. The wait doesn't really bother me that much though since I don't really need it.

He also mentioned he's been swamped with orders. I wonder how many of his Zero (and related accessories) sales are to Head-Fi member

Love to see nude pics of your pimped Zero.
smily_headphones1.gif
How does it sound now?

The MF X10 (tube buffer after the zero) got pimped out OYA
smily_headphones1.gif
It sounds much better now...will take a hell of a long time for the WIMA's and Teflons to form is the only drawback...I thought about taking a pic but then remembered this is the Zero thread....doh...sleep deprivation does strange things.....
smily_headphones1.gif
At least it's a cheap buzz
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #4,628 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I'm going crazy waiting for my LT samples to come in. Otherwise I have no Zero DAC to power my headphones!!! The agony!!

Hang in there big guy
smily_headphones1.gif
Have a Vanilla Latte
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #4,629 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He also mentioned he's been swamped with orders. I wonder how many of his Zero (and related accessories) sales are to Head-Fi members.

Most likely all of them are........ Joe public looking for cheap dac/amp, googles it...sees head fi thread in first hit.... signs up as a Head Fi member...requests the member's deal when ordering from LC...boom a billion freakin' orders
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4,630 of 9,388
Ok guys a small update on the things.
Unfortunately the pops problem is not completely gone in my case.
I must say there has been a noticeable improvement after all the measures I have taken (rerouting cables , moving the amp to a different place , changing the power socket used etc).
However there are still pops (very rare now).
I have had one pop during today.
The pops are also not as loud as the ones I used to have in the beginning.
Anyway I think I will follow SLUSHIE's suggestion .
I have already messaged Wang with a request to send me the usb adapter (I think he sells those too).
Then I will be able to use optical cable and the soundcard will be actually outside the box which I hope will make things better.
So far no response from Wang after I sent him the pics of the missing OPA627 , but I guess he is busy because he hasn't responded to my request on purchase of USB adapter either
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #4,631 of 9,388
i was not able to get this info from this huge thread, what is the cheapest place to get the zero ? a further question...how is the "upgrade version" upgraded ? opamps only or other features ? is it fully stable just like the original unit ?

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #4,632 of 9,388
CUSTOMS FTL?

My Zero DAC has shipped and according to Hongkon Post, "The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 28-Jul-2008". I assume it only takes a few days to get to the US; I live in San Francisco. But will it sit in customs for a few weeks, or are they speedy about it? I just want to know if I can expect it by Saturday, or if it may take weeks.

Thanks for sharing your customs experiences, amigos.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #4,633 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CUSTOMS FTL?

My Zero DAC has shipped and according to Hongkon Post, "The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 28-Jul-2008". I assume it only takes a few days to get to the US; I live in San Francisco. But will it sit in customs for a few weeks, or are they speedy about it? I just want to know if I can expect it by Saturday, or if it may take weeks.

Thanks for sharing your customs experiences, amigos.

My Zero sat in SF customs for a business day before being released to USPS. You'll get it very soon!!

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #4,634 of 9,388
Another question for you folks:

I will be using my HTPC's HT Omega Claro+ sound card to send optical 2 channel PCM to the Zero, which will perform the DAC and amp the signal for my headphones (HD-650). I've read that some people use the Zero for a pre-amp... why? Is it because the DAC is so good? I guess I am not sure why you need a pre-amp at all; most receivers and all HTPC sound cards that I've seen let you do equalization and volume control and the usual 'pre-amp' stuff.

What am I missing, amigos?

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #4,635 of 9,388
The Zero is great for pre-amping because of the changeable opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back