Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 18, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #4,321 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an okay price. The ad only mentions the one opamp (being upgraded) in the DAC section, specifically 2604 upgraded to 627. The headphone section has two more opamps. Lawrence sells his with all opamps upgraded (OPA627/DAC section & 2 x LT1364 in H/Amp section) for the members of Head Fi. I guess Lawrence is experiencing a rather massive surge in sales of both the (upgraded opamp combo) Zero and the HDAM modules.

I would email this vendor (wsz0304) and ask what opamps are in the headphone section, if he says N5532 then this offer isn't as attractive as Lawrence's package deal is (IMHO at least). It might be worth emailing Lawrence to inquire when more Head Fi member Zero deals will be available again.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Peete.

where can i reach Lawrence?

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #4,322 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumpXP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i reach Lawrence?

You can look him up on eBay, ID biglawhk. His email is lawrencechanbig(@)msn(.)com
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #4,323 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can look him up on eBay, ID biglawhk. His email is lawrencechanbig(@)msn(.)com
smily_headphones1.gif

Is Lawrence quick at answering emails? I received mine with a fault and have emailed him 3 days ago but no reply yet.

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #4,324 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Lawrence quick at answering emails? I received mine with a fault and have emailed him 3 days ago but no reply yet.

I haven't personally had any problems with exchanging communications with Lawrence (he always replies within a day). It might pay to shoot him another email; he might've missed it.

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #4,325 of 9,388
Thanks Oya?.

I didn't want to be pushy but i'll send him another one in case he missed it.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #4,326 of 9,388
Don't know if anyone's asked this but how is the zero compared to the emu0404?

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #4,327 of 9,388
Hi all,
I have just registered & this is my first post. I wanted to purchase a DAC & I came across this forum discussing about the Zero DAC. The price seems attractive & there is an upgraded version. This is where I have some questions & I hope somebody can help me out.
1) The upgrade version is using the OPA627. I have checked the data sheet, though both (OPA627 & OPA2604 for the earlier model) have 8 pins but the pin configuration seems different. So I believe is not just plug & play, there must be some modification done in order to take in OPA627, am I right?
2) If that’s the case, what other better op-amp can be used on the upgrade version Zero without having to do any modification (that is just plug & play)?
3) How is the Zero DAC chip AD1852 compared to CS4397 used in the 24bit/192KHz DAC DIY KIT, FULL ASSEMBLED KIT?
4) The upgraded version also have a ALPS knob, any idea what’s that? Any benefit?
5) Lastly, anyone use the Zero DAC with Oppo universal player (model 970HD)? If yes, is the 2-channel sound much better?
Thanks!

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #4,328 of 9,388
Hi Summer Jazz, I can't answer all of those questions but most of that can be answered by reading tha last 15 to 20 pages of the thread. The info provided covers the latest news and packages. I'm really busy right now otherwise I'd give you more info right now....anyway...read those 20 pages or so then ask any questions that weren't answered afterwards please
smily_headphones1.gif

The oppo is a good transport.....better than most it would seem form the press clippings
smily_headphones1.gif

BBL, have to get back to work
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #4,329 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He's pretty quick. I talked with him breifly last night/this morning and he's been extremely busy trying to get more Zero's and HDAM's built to meet the large demand of late.

He'll answer you, not to worry. Poor bugger needs 28 hours in a day instead of 24
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4,330 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer Jazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,
I have just registered & this is my first post. I wanted to purchase a DAC & I came across this forum discussing about the Zero DAC. The price seems attractive & there is an upgraded version. This is where I have some questions & I hope somebody can help me out.
1) The upgrade version is using the OPA627. I have checked the data sheet, though both (OPA627 & OPA2604 for the earlier model) have 8 pins but the pin configuration seems different. So I believe is not just plug & play, there must be some modification done in order to take in OPA627, am I right?
2) If that’s the case, what other better op-amp can be used on the upgrade version Zero without having to do any modification (that is just plug & play)?
3) How is the Zero DAC chip AD1852 compared to CS4397 used in the 24bit/192KHz DAC DIY KIT, FULL ASSEMBLED KIT?
4) The upgraded version also have a ALPS knob, any idea what’s that? Any benefit?
5) Lastly, anyone use the Zero DAC with Oppo universal player (model 970HD)? If yes, is the 2-channel sound much better?
Thanks!

Hi and welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif
There's 2 common kinds of OPA627s, for the OPA627BP you'll need 2 of them on an adapter. Then there's the OPA627AU for which you'd also need 2 mounted on a different kind of adapter. This latter combo is what Lawrence sells, have a look at it here. The reason for the adapter is because OPA2604 is a dual op-amp and OPA627 is a mono op-amp. Either of the above combinations are plug-and-play. If you're planning to buy an upgraded Zero with OPA627s, they should already be installed.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #4,331 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered an HDAM last week and asked about the possibility of Lawrence making/supplying an extension cable. I got an email on saturday indicating the cable was available and with the 2 photos posted here. There was no additional charge for the cable, it was simply included in the $80 shipped price tag for the HDAM which is pretty damn good of him and reinforces the fact that he is a good guy to do business with.

When people order HDAMs from Lawrence they should probably explicitly mention the extension cable just to be on the safe side.

Well, the HDAM arrived this morning and has been dropped into a Zero DAC (with LED and bypass Cap mods) and I'm currently listening to NICK CAVE B-SIDES & RARITIES. Initial thoughts are that there is some more headroom and detail, but it is a little shrill. I'll give it some time burning in before making final judgment.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4,332 of 9,388
Hi all,
I have just registered & this is my first post.I've received my Zero dac a week ago and after the burn in period the sound from the right channel seems to fade away like there might be a cold joint.It always happens after a while when the inside reaches a certain temperature.Does anyone knows where should I look at first ? I can use my soldering iron to reheat some of the joints but I can't do that for every single one of them.Many thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #4,333 of 9,388
Sorry for the newb question, but does the zero have a usb in?

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #4,334 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by spickerish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the newb question, but does the zero have a usb in?

Nope
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4,335 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucius72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,
I have just registered & this is my first post.I've received my Zero dac a week ago and after the burn in period the sound from the right channel seems to fade away like there might be a cold joint.It always happens after a while when the inside reaches a certain temperature.Does anyone knows where should I look at first ? I can use my soldering iron to reheat some of the joints but I can't do that for every single one of them.Many thanks in advance.

Does it happen on the headphone amp's output and/or the analog outs on the back ? Try testing it as a pure DAC , then with the Headphone amp engaged.
Could be a cold solder joint somewhere or a bad opamp.....need to narrow it down to either main pcb or head amp pcb...the latter being far easier to troubleshoot
smily_headphones1.gif

Report back please.....

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back