REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Apr 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #77 of 223
hi fellas,
wanna ask here, is this one of the best money can buy for a DAC less than $500? I'm still searching one to upgrade from my Audinst HUD-MX1..Basically i wanna hook it up to my stereo system, but the headphone output is a bonus..any other DAC less than $500 should i look for? 80% usage for stereo system. Any input is very much appreciated :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #78 of 223
Quote:
hi fellas,
wanna ask here, is this one of the best money can buy for a DAC less than $500? I'm still searching one to upgrade from my Audinst HUD-MX1..Basically i wanna hook it up to my stereo system, but the headphone output is a bonus..any other DAC less than $500 should i look for? 80% usage for stereo system. Any input is very much appreciated :)

Well Im very sure that this one sounds the best under $500. I spent 4 nights looking for the best DAC for the bucks and I wasn't wrong. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #79 of 223
Quote:

Well Im very sure that this one sounds the best under $500. I spent 4 nights looking for the best DAC for the bucks and I wasn't wrong. 

Thanks for the idea. There are a lot of good DACs under $500 and not every one of them i can audition but this yulong product really caught my attention. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #81 of 223
Quote:
My favorites at <$500 are the Yulong D100 MkII or else the Parasound Zdac. Both are really good, as DACs, and both have the added bonus of a great sounding headphone amp. 

Wow I didn't know about the Parasound Zdac, looks gorgeous compared to the Yulong. It also has Class A headphone amplifier 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #82 of 223
Quote:

Wow I didn't know about the Parasound Zdac, looks gorgeous compared to the Yulong. It also has Class A headphone amplifier 
confused_face_2.gif

Yep, it's a great looking little unit, very reminiscent of their Halo line of gear. I recently reviewed it at InnerFidelity (link in my profile or just google it). Basically the D100 is the more strictly neutral option, while the Parasound is slightly warmer and smoother. Both are very, very capable DACs for the money. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #83 of 223
I'm considering the Zdac vs a used original Benchmark DAC1 for mixing/mastering purposes primarily.  I know the DAC1 has been a studio standard (and largely unchanged) for years, and wondered how this new kit (Zdac) would stack up to the old guard?

Great reviews, btw -- I'm a fan :)

Dave

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #84 of 223
Quote:
I'm considering the Zdac vs a used original Benchmark DAC1 for mixing/mastering purposes primarily.  I know the DAC1 has been a studio standard (and largely unchanged) for years, and wondered how this new kit (Zdac) would stack up to the old guard?

Great reviews, btw -- I'm a fan :)

Dave

I'd say the Zdac is the better choice for listening, but the Benchmark might be the better option for your purposes. Although personally I might go Lavry instead - those Benchmark highs just don't do it for me. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #85 of 223
What about the DAC1 highs stand out (negatively) to you?  I'm familiar with Lavry kit, just a little out of my range at the moment.

The Zdac seems appealing in a lot of ways, but I'd prefer my gear to not color the sound at this stage -- more critical listening for business rather than pleasure :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #86 of 223
Quote:
What about the DAC1 highs stand out (negatively) to you?  I'm familiar with Lavry kit, just a little out of my range at the moment.

The Zdac seems appealing in a lot of ways, but I'd prefer my gear to not color the sound at this stage -- more critical listening for business rather than pleasure :)

It's just the usual complaint of somewhat harsh, glassy highs. It doesn't bother me as much as some others around here, but I do hear it. Though I see your point about pricing - a used DAC1 can get down near Zdac prices, while Lavry tends to still be in the higher range approaching $1000.

There's always the Yulong D100 MkII which is a really nice, neutral sound. I'd choose it over the Benchmark for business or pleasure listening. But the Benchmark could easily be tried and resold if it doesn't work out for you. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #87 of 223
Another night with the D100 MK2 and I have to admit that it's one of the very few units I bought over the last 15 years that exceeded my expectations ( and I'm painfully picky )

Very very neutral and clean sound yet  powerful, it makes my JH16's reveil their true sound signature. 

Current setup :   iMac 27 -> Audirvana + FLAC 44.1KHz/16bits -> OPT cable -> Yulong D100 MK2 -> JH16 via High Impedance headphone amp section 

Digital display is also cool at night 

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #90 of 223
My favorites at <$500 are the Yulong D100 MkII or else the Parasound Zdac. Both are really good, as DACs, and both have the added bonus of a great sounding headphone amp. 

If one can up the budget to <$700 and the DAC requires to have
1) usb 24/192 at least
2) coaxial
3) headphones ( optional ) sometimes I didn't want to turn on my tube amp for short listening periods

What the choice that I have? Any giant killer here?

I have an ODAC currently. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back