REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #61 of 223
Quote:
Is it possible to use both headphone outs simultaneously? Does it affect either one's performance? Thanks in advance :)

It sure is. But obviously some headphone combinations will pair better than others since you won't have individual volume controls. 

Quote:
What's the consensus about the sound from the balanced outputs versus the single-ended?

I don't notice a huge difference, but they do each have their own signal path with different opamps involved. So there's a touch of character unique to each one. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #62 of 223
If you have two headphones with similar specs then it shouldn't be too bad but if you have something like a HD600 and a custom iem then you would run into some volume control issues.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #63 of 223
Quote:

It sure is. But obviously some headphone combinations will pair better than others since you won't have individual volume controls.

Quote:
If you have two headphones with similar specs then it shouldn't be too bad but if you have something like a HD600 and a custom iem then you would run into some volume control issues.

Thanks! I currently own a D2000 and a D5000 with angle pads, and am thinking of saving up for this dac instead of buying cheaper dac/amp combo's which I would upgrade anyway :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #64 of 223
I used 2 32ohm denons headphones simultaneously with no problems.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #65 of 223
Quote:
I don't notice a huge difference, but they do each have their own signal path with different opamps involved. So there's a touch of character unique to each one. 

My XLR cables just came yesterday, did some A/B'ing and I think I prefer the XLR outputs. Not a big difference, but it sounds a touch more natural to me. A bit more air and space, not as "closed in" feeling. Not night and day, but it's noticeable after some time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #66 of 223
Decided to ignore all the Modi and Odac hype and so now a proud owner of a Yulong D100 II. Got it about a week ago and loving it so far. Seemed to open up after just a few hours and hopefully will only continue to burn in. Currently using the RCA outs to my DV336SE but probably going to get a Little Dot I+ as well, so going to build a pair of XLR to 2x RCA cables so I can have both amps continually hooked up.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #67 of 223
Quote:
Decided to ignore all the Modi and Odac hype and so now a proud owner of a Yulong D100 II. Got it about a week ago and loving it so far. Seemed to open up after just a few hours and hopefully will only continue to burn in. Currently using the RCA outs to my DV336SE but probably going to get a Little Dot I+ as well, so going to build a pair of XLR to 2x RCA cables so I can have both amps continually hooked up.

Congrats, I ordered mine and waiting for delivery. How well does the headphone amplification do ? I am considering using it for my JH16's.

I want to believe that the DAC unit can keep up with a Benchmark DAC1 or Burson as stated in some reviews but...  

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #68 of 223
Keep up with which Burson? As far as amplification goes, I'm afraid that the Burson Soloist absolutely stomps the D100 MKII amp IMO. It's not even close.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #69 of 223
The integrated amp in the D100 is surprisingly good given that it's more of a bonus feature than anything else. Drives my HD650 decently well, should drive the JH16 no problem. You will get much more out of a dedicated amp, but that's kind of a given.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #70 of 223
I'm just trying to keep things a bit grounded...
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #71 of 223
Quote:
Keep up with which Burson? As far as amplification goes, I'm afraid that the Burson Soloist absolutely stomps the D100 MKII amp IMO. It's not even close.

Sorry, it was not the Burson, apologies; however as quoted from Project86 review :

"...this DAC is absolutely competitive with such highly regarded models as the Benchmark DAC 1, Lavry DA10, and Grace Design m902. It’s even superior in several ways, especially with the MKII update. And why shouldn’t it be? Many of the same hardware components are being used, in a well thought out design that is no less complex than the others. The only thing lacking here is the prestige of those well-known brand names"

Well, the JH16's impedance is lower than the specified 18 ohms below 800Hz, averaging 13 ohms in the lower midrange and bass. The impedance also drops to 12 ohms at 7kHz, though it rises to 24 ohms at 1kHz, and reaches a maximum value of 35 ohms at 2kHz. That probably means that I shouldn't need a robust amplifier to drive them at full potential. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #72 of 223
Sorry for double posting. I noticed that the JH16 has a frequency range from 10Hz to 20KHz however the DAC/AMP can do from 20Hz to 20KHz.

To my understanding, infrasonics are not heard but some people claim that they can (sort of vibration rather than sound ) 

Does it mean that the AMP is a bottleneck in this case ? I never worried about the frequency range since my W.A Sophia FR starts at 20Hz.

If you can't hear infrasonic, why would JHA advertise or mention a so low frequency response ? 

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #75 of 223
Update.... 

That's the worst piece of crap I owned since long time.... I have it less than 24 hours and it's already not powering on anymore. Im in a complete rage mode atm.

Power Cable failed, I had to replace it. It's only providing 85V out of 220.  Crossed fingers.... as for sound qualtiy , it' s great 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back