REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Jan 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #46 of 223
Quote:
At this point I'm using E-mu 0404 usb, but I have to return ot to its owner.
I have made a brief listening comparison between e-mu 0404 usb and ASUS Essence one - the latter gave me considerable more detail (it was a short audition in a shop). The Yulong & Audio-gd aren't available in retail in Russia, so I can't try them before buying.

Quote:
I'd probably go for the Asus - you've heard it, you know you like it, and it is easily obtainable. That's important in my book.

Go for the asus, but then do yourself a favour and buy some THS4032 opamps for the I/V section (must be mounted on dip8 adapters - ebay) Smoother, better clarity and imaging, and no emphasized bass (in a bad way)

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #47 of 223
Just a note on the Yulong D100 MKII. Managed to get one for Christmas to match up with my Denon D5000. I'm a newbie and have little experience with a lot of amps or amp/dac combos. But I am real satisfied with what I got with the Yulong. Know that I was just upgrading from a Total Bithead...and know that the D5000's are relatively easy to drive. But since I've gotten the Yulong I've also had occasion to hear my Denon's with the Schiit Bifrost plus Asgard and the Fiio E17...in my mind the Yulong is a much better marriage (the Schiit was powerful but everything was crowded and somehow muted...the E17 seemed like a toy).
Most of what I listen to is Spotify Premium through my PC's USB...nothing real high end. I added a Venom 3 power cord and a Wireworld Starlight USB cable to the mix. The definition of the individual instruments in most music has gone from good to stunning with the MKII. Incredible presence and timbre. Soundstage is more three dimensional and wider. Only negative is occasional brightness in the high end on certain songs...but rarely. This combination also tightened up the D5000 bass...but I never thought it was as loose or flabby as a lot of people seem to.
Now the Denon's are only 25 ohm cans. When I tried a friend's Sennheiser 650's on the Yulong it really seemed over-matched....either that or the 650's are the most over-rated headphone out there. The Yulong just couldn't bring it out of the fog.
If you're are looking for a great match for your Denon D5000's...or I imagine the 7000's or 2000's...I'd highly recommend the Yulong D100 MKII. Careful with harder to drive cans though !!!

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #48 of 223
Hi guys I am an owner of the Yulong D100, which died with a very bad burning smell. I used to plug it via USB and use it for professional studio use.

I bought it after reading the OP's review as it compared it to the Lavry D11, which  I was supposed to buy.

Now that I didn't have any DAC, I plugged my monitors to my on board sound card Asus P8P67ws, and guess what ??

It sounded clearer, more 3D and more revealing than the YULONG !!! I was shocked! The only problem with the Asus is that the low end isn't tight as the Yulong, but apart from that, the Asus kills it!

Now I am extremely confused about the Yulong D100. Is it really as good as the reviewer stated ?

Has anyone compared the Yulong D100 or Yulong D100MKII with any other DAC like Lavry, Antelope, Mytek, Benchmark ? I would love to hear about your experiences.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #49 of 223
Quote:
Hi guys I am an owner of the Yulong D100, which died with a very bad burning smell. I used to plug it via USB and use it for professional studio use.

I bought it after reading the OP's review as it compared it to the Lavry D11, which  I was supposed to buy.

Now that I didn't have any DAC, I plugged my monitors to my on board sound card Asus P8P67ws, and guess what ??

It sounded clearer, more 3D and more revealing than the YULONG !!! I was shocked! The only problem with the Asus is that the low end isn't tight as the Yulong, but apart from that, the Asus kills it!

Now I am extremely confused about the Yulong D100. Is it really as good as the reviewer stated ?

Has anyone compared the Yulong D100 or Yulong D100MKII with any other DAC like Lavry, Antelope, Mytek, Benchmark ? I would love to hear about your experiences.

Burning?  Maybe open it up and take a look and let us know where it burned?  Was it at the outputs?

Sounds like you could have had a problem manifesting for awhile and potentially affecting sound quality...

My D100 sounds great as a DAC.  Can't say I've heard that particular onboard model of sound card, but I can tell you plugging my Bryston into my 3.5 out on my PC does not sound as good.  Whether that's a quality of input is something I cannot prove, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that the DAC section alone on my PC sounds better or as good as my D100's DAC.

Sorry to hear about the burnt up component...

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #50 of 223
So I've got a question bout the D100 MKII. If I simultaniously hook up a headphone and have cables plugged in the RCA line out, which one is activated? Or do they both work simultaniously?

Thanks in advance :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #51 of 223
Quote:
So I've got a question bout the D100 MKII. If I simultaniously hook up a headphone and have cables plugged in the RCA line out, which one is activated? Or do they both work simultaniously?

Thanks in advance :)

I think that the analog outputs should be muted when headphones are plugged in, but I'm not 100% on that one. My unit is still on its way from Yulong HQ so I won't be able to test that for you myself...

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #53 of 223
Beat me to it, project86, I just ducked over to the original D100 thread to doublecheck my homework and was about to make a correction.. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #57 of 223
Anyone did a comparison between D100 mkii, compass 2 and Bitfrost + Asgard combo? I am thinking of an upgrade from Audinst HUD-MX1.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #59 of 223
Just received the D100 MKII today. Sounds really good, especially coming from my stopgap measure (a week of listening to my E10 and I wanted to throw it against the wall, great unit for the price, but the limitations of cheaper technology are clear). Going to try to get more hours in so I can get used to the sound; I'm sure initial reactions after coming from the E10 may be exaggerated.

Initial thoughts: Detailed while still being smooth, more forward than I had imagined it to be from reading impressions, bass is stronger than I had anticipated too (thinking this comes at a cost of a bit of airiness and soundstage though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back