REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #181 of 223
IMO no it doesn't have the power necessary to maximize the HE400's potential.  You may get sufficient volume but it won't show what the HE400 can really do...or any other ortho in my opinion.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #183 of 223
Thanks! I take it you had 1st hand experience?

Anyone have actual numbers as opposed to the posted 900mw@32ohm? Don't planars follow the impedance rules a bit differently?

IMO no it doesn't have the power necessary to maximize the HE400's potential.  You may get sufficient volume but it won't show what the HE400 can really do...or any other ortho in my opinion.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #185 of 223
Nothing with that much power but loads of power doesn't necessarily equal to optimal sound. My experience with the Yulong and HE500's sounds good to me so I haven't had any desire to add an amp to it yet.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #187 of 223
I use the high jack and get plenty of volume with room to spare.

I always have that thought in the back of my mind on adding an amp. I'm sure I'll go down that road at some point but for now the D100 works well with my iem's and headphones.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #188 of 223
What ya don't know won't hurt ya.  It's rarely a matter of sufficient volume.  It's the nuance, separation, instrument timbre...totally different sense of headroom when powered correctly.  I had a D100MKII.  I really liked it and wanted it to be all things...but then I heard what my headphones could deliver with a little more pop.  I only have a Schiit Lyr now...certainly no end-game amp.  But to my ears it's a night and day difference with my T1's.  But I also know I'm just scratching the surface.  We all know the drill.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #190 of 223
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I have the D100 II and have it hooked up to my computer and using foobar as my media player via wasapi and outputting to speaker and also to a set of HD700. I am enjoying the setup and just wanted to introduce myself. I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) As the HD700 has 150 ohm impedance, I should be plugging it in the Low headphone jack, correct?
2) I tried switching between Sound Mode 1 and 2 and not really sure there is much difference in the sound. I just left it on Sound Mode 1.

Any thoughts from more experienced users. Thanks and all the best.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #191 of 223
150ohm should be to the high but there are no set rules. As for sound 1 and 2, sound 2 will roll the highs off. If you can listen to Sound 1 without harshness, you should be fine there. Some people are sensitive to treble or have phones that already have trebles pronounced and find sound 2 more pleasing. Vs EQ, I believe the Yulong changes sound via hardware.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #192 of 223
The sound mode 2 is useful for taming bright headphones but not very useful for reducing harshness on certain tracks. It reduces the upper treble (>10khz) by a few db but most harshness is lower than that.

As for low vs high impedance, just use whichever sounds better to your ears.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #194 of 223

I would think some dealer somewhere must still have some units available. But from the factory, yes, they are switching to a new mode which comes out in the next few months.

The new one is called D200. It's based around an ESS Sabre ES9016, which is one step down from the top ES9018 model. ES9016 is used in the Peachtree iDac, the Mytek DSD unit, and the headphone stage of the Resonessence Labs Invicta. The D200 also gets an XMOS based asynchronous USB solution with DSD capabilities and 32-bit/384kHz as well. I believe the price will remain similar to the D100 mkII, as in somewhere around $500 or slightly less. 

I was about to purchase a D100 MK II until I read about the upcoming D200.  For ~$500 it sounds like an absolute steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back