REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Aug 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #151 of 223
Originally Posted by ellevoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just got my Yulong D100 today, I love it. Must thanks to this great review, it's really help. 
L3000.gif

I'm looking to upgrade my headphones from beyerdynamic DT-1350 to flagship like HE-500, HD650 or something like that but not sure which one will go well with D100.
I plan to move to higher grade DAC/Amp in the future (but not right now). Does anyone has suggestion on the headphones?

Thanks.

I would definitely steer clear of the HD650.  When I had a D100 I thought it was very much underpowered to drive the 650 sufficienctly.  I've heard it with the HE500 and it was adequate but did
not bring the HE500 to its highest potential either.  Be careful with any of the orthos as they need power.  If you have shops in your area with a variety of headphones to audition I'd advise bringing the D100 with you and listen to the combination together.  Anything other than that, you're guessing...and you don't want to be wrong.  Long story short....you'll probably get sufficient volume out of just about any headphone with your D100...but volume and bringing out the headphone's true character are two  different things.  Good luck with the search and enjoy your new toys.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #152 of 223
I argue that it's the headphones relaying the amp's character and competance, or the DAC's character and competance if your amp is entirely sufficient and transparent. They're a vessel.
tongue.gif

In what way and how well the vessel can carry what is brought in/on is a different story.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #154 of 223
Guys, I want to remind you all that group buy discussion and group buy sites aren't permitted here. Also, trying to get around it by using tricky wording will not do you any favours. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #155 of 223
This just in!

Quote:
  Out of curiosity , the Low headphones output on the D100 means it has high impedance and vice versa ? 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Low is for low impedance headphones and high is for high impedance headphones. If I'm not mistaken, the only difference between the two is that the low has a resistor whereas the high does not.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #158 of 223
No, it's not gain. If you plug the same headphones into both jacks, the volume won't be much different, only the sound signature.

There's a definite difference in gain. Unless you have sensitive IEMs, it'll be a more noticable difference in gain between them the higher up you go around the knob.

There's probably an impedance difference too but it's just not explained at all in the documentation.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #159 of 223

No, it's not gain. If you plug the same headphones into both jacks, the volume won't be much different, only the sound signature.

Nop, with all due respect that's incorrect.

The High socket has at least 50% more gain that the low one. 

With my JH16's I can handle the volume up to 60% ( 1:00 o'clock ) when on low output but once connected to high output I can't bear the loudness beyond 40% ( 10 o'clock )

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #160 of 223
Strange. With my HD600's there's almost no difference in gain between the two sockets, it's only the sound quality that's different. However, with my super cheap IEMs that don't really benefit from amping, the High socket is much louder than the Low socket. My CIEMs have been sent to the manufacturer for a refit so I can't try using those.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #161 of 223
It has been observed from a long time ago that the difference between the 'low impedance HPs' and 'high impedance HPs' sockets is perceived mostly as volume discrepancy with lower impedance headphones or IEMs and with high impedance headphones as a slightly difference in sound signature  ('low' sounds thinner and 'high' sounds warmer) while the difference in volume is negligible .
This shouldn't be a surprise has this has been figured out with the first version of the D100 already.

Higher current (Amperage) output at the 'high' socket explains such behaviours.
There is a post in the first D100 thread where a guy describes the circuitry of both outputs (he opened his unit) but I'm not in the mood to go dig it right now...

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #163 of 223
What sample rate should I select in Windows while the D100 is connected via USB? The highest possible (24/96), or 16/44.1 to match my music (ripped from CDs)?

If uou mean the Yulong AISO comtrol panel, I think the instructions say to use 24/96 if your system can handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back