REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Sep 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #166 of 223
I'm not using any drivers, just plug and play. It's my work computer so I'm not allowed to install any software.

Then all you're doing is allowing windows to play 24/96 files by selecting that instead of downsampling it to 16/44.1. They'll still be run through windows digital processes at I think the kernel level as opposed to bit perfect output using something like WASAPI or AISO. So what I'm saying, if I understand you right, is put a check mark next to all that the D100 can play.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #167 of 223
  I'd use the native 16/44.1 option. But you can play with it and see if you notice any differences by choosing other options. 

Then all you're doing is allowing windows to play 24/96 files by selecting that instead of downsampling it to 16/44.1. They'll still be run through windows digital processes at I think the kernel level as opposed to bit perfect output using something like WASAPI or AISO. So what I'm saying, if I understand you right, is put a check mark next to all that the D100 can play.

Thanks for the suggestions. According to the LCD screen on the D100, and as verified by this link, WMP doesn't override the system default format, so it just uses whatever sample rate I set in the playback device properties in Windows. That means that Windows is upsampling my 44.1 music to 96, which is not a good thing considering that the D100 will then ASRC process everything to 132, according to the manual.

However, I'm still debating between 16 and 24 bits. If Windows processes everything using 32 bit floating point, would I get any degradation in quality by choosing 24 bit over 16, which is exactly half of 32? I can't hear much of a difference between the two.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #168 of 223
Thanks for the suggestions. According to the LCD screen on the D100, and as verified by this link, WMP doesn't override the system default format, so it just uses whatever sample rate I set in the playback device properties in Windows. That means that Windows is upsampling my 44.1 music to 96, which is not a good thing considering that the D100 will then ASRC process everything to 132, according to the manual.

However, I'm still debating between 16 and 24 bits. If Windows processes everything using 32 bit floating point, would I get any degradation in quality by choosing 24 bit over 16, which is exactly half of 32? I can't hear much of a difference between the two.

If you can't hear a difference then why worry. But you're not me lol.

Unless the file is exactly the maximum sample rate you choose, it'll re-sample anyway. Assuming you can't use software that enables bit perfect output.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #170 of 223
Hi guys, does anyone have any idea how matrix m stage amp with dac compare with Yulong D100 mk2? I am thinking of getting either combo but still unsure. I will be using it to drive akg q701 and westone 4r :S

I can get both of them about the same price with yulong d100 mk2 at about 15 dollars cheaper.

what do you guys think?

thank you all

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #171 of 223
  Hi guys, does anyone have any idea how matrix m stage amp with dac compare with Yulong D100 mk2? I am thinking of getting either combo but still unsure. I will be using it to drive akg q701 and westone 4r :S

I can get both of them about the same price with yulong d100 mk2 at about 15 dollars cheaper.

what do you guys think?

thank you all

If you mean the M-Stage amp with USB, the USB section is very basic, so the D100 is a much better DAC. In terms of amp performance, the M-Stage has more power to drive demanding headphones, but with most headphones the D100's amp section sounds almost identical to the M-Stage with stock op amp. With certain op amp upgrades, however, for example the LM4562, the M-Stage can sound better than the D100, notably tighter bass and crisper treble.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #172 of 223
k guys decided to sell my Yulong D100 MKII , yet after i get my WA7 and new Dac :p 

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #173 of 223
I have tried to get the D100 MK2 from an eBay seller, and he told me it is out of stock, and there is a new model coming in a few months.Does anybody know if this is the case, some more info, please ?

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #174 of 223
  I have tried to get the D100 MK2 from an eBay seller, and he told me it is out of stock, and there is a new model coming in a few months.Does anybody know if this is the case, some more info, please ?

I would think some dealer somewhere must still have some units available. But from the factory, yes, they are switching to a new mode which comes out in the next few months.

The new one is called D200. It's based around an ESS Sabre ES9016, which is one step down from the top ES9018 model. ES9016 is used in the Peachtree iDac, the Mytek DSD unit, and the headphone stage of the Resonessence Labs Invicta. The D200 also gets an XMOS based asynchronous USB solution with DSD capabilities and 32-bit/384kHz as well. I believe the price will remain similar to the D100 mkII, as in somewhere around $500 or slightly less. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #175 of 223
I would think some dealer somewhere must still have some units available. But from the factory, yes, they are switching to a new mode which comes out in the next few months.

The new one is called D200. It's based around an ESS Sabre ES9016, which is one step down from the top ES9018 model. ES9016 is used in the Peachtree iDac, the Mytek DSD unit, and the headphone stage of the Resonessence Labs Invicta. The D200 also gets an XMOS based asynchronous USB solution with DSD capabilities and 32-bit/384kHz as well. I believe the price will remain similar to the D100 mkII, as in somewhere around $500 or slightly less. 

I heard the same as well and im waiting to get it when it js released. But do not expect it tk be released this year should be coming out next year according to tam audio.

I find that dsd capabilities onlu comes with higher end dacs so jt is good ti have I guess... I was actually looking between this and audiolab qdac but this was cheaper n seem to hsve better features when it will be released so ill wait.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #176 of 223

Thanks for the news. All those extra features at around the same price can only be a good thing. I don't really need DSD/hi res but I am curious about the performance of the new chip. I trust that you'll review it when it comes out? 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #177 of 223
The European PC HI-FI Shop also stocks the Matrix QUATTRO DAC, I was thinking of getting it, since there are too many dead D100s in the forum, and some reviewers claim that the Matrix DAC tops the D100 in all aspects, including detailed sound - I listen to Power Metal and Eurodance music, which are being mastered with extreme compression, so bags of details is what I want.I have already upgraded my speaker cables and interconnect to Atlas HYPER, so I wonder - should I wait for the new Yulong DAC, or get the Matrix Quattro? I have borrowed a well burned-in Arcam rDAC and I was quite disappointed - the difference from the rPAC was subtle on cheapo Boston Acoustics A25 bookshelf speakers.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #178 of 223
Hi

I'm thinking of picking a combo Yulong D100 MK2 + Yulong A100.

I currently have a combo schiit magni / modi that I intend to keep on the laptop, the yulong combo option will be to use mainly in desktop and perhaps integrated in my home rig.
Initially I thought I'd just get the D100 MK2, but after reading this review found that the financial effort would be certainly be offset by the quantum leap in sound (am I wrong ?????)
The headphones that will be used with the Yulong are:
Sennheiser HD650; Hifiman HE400; Fischer Audio FA-011; PSB M4U 1; Philips Fidelio X1; M-Audio Q40; Shure SRH-440 and Philips Uptown
I have posted too this question in yulong a100 review (just in case)

Hope to get your help

minimix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back