Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jan 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #346 of 1,182

Quote:
p.s I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has impedance mismatch feedback 'whirling noises' when plugging in some external hp amps.

I've probably paired mine with a dozen different amps and have not had this problem. I once thought I had an issue with a vintage McIntosh integrated, but it ended up having a faulty input so it wasn't the fault of the Yulong.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #347 of 1,182
Would the Yulong be considered an excellent pairing with the HD600 or HD650? I'm looking for a solid AMP/DAC around $350. I have an E7, so I was also considering just getting an E9, but I like the inputs/outputs on the Yulong a lot. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #348 of 1,182

Guys, I have questions regarding the burn-in process and sonic differences of D100s 2 headphone jacks: (I'm a complete noob at this subject...)

Is it plausible to assume that both headphone jacks will burn-in at the same time when only one is being used?
Or is it only the one that is being used that will burn-in?

Did you guys found any sonic difference between the two jacks?

Since I bought the Yulong D100, 1 month and a half ago, I've pretty much only used the low impedance jack with my IEMs.
2 days ago I received my first full sized headphone, the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro (2*300Ohms).

With my IEMs, there is clearly a louder sound on the high impedance jack in comparison to the low one, but with the GMP 450 Pro the sound volume is nearly identical between the 2 jacks.
Using the GMP, I think I can discern a slightly more laid back sound from the low impedance jack and a more agressive sound from the high impedance one... or maybe I'm just perceiving minute volume differences between the two jacks and confusing that with sonic differences...
I'm also finding that with the GMP the sound volume won't increase that much after the 12:00h position on the volume noob with both jacks. (D100 horizontal position)

What's your guys experience with IEMs/low impedance/high sensitivity headphones vs high impedance/low sensitivity headphones with both jacks?

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #349 of 1,182

Guys, I have questions regarding the burn-in process and sonic differences of D100s 2 headphone jacks: (I'm a complete noob at this subject...)

Is it plausible to assume that both headphone jacks will burn-in at the same time when only one is being used?
Or is it only the one that is being used that will burn-in?

Did you guys found any sonic difference between the two jacks?

Since I bought the Yulong D100, 1 month and a half ago, I've pretty much only used the low impedance jack with my IEMs.
2 days ago I received my first full sized headphone, the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro (2*300Ohms).

With my IEMs, there is clearly a louder sound on the high impedance jack in comparison to the low one, but with the GMP 450 Pro the sound volume is nearly identical between the 2 jacks.
Using the GMP, I think I can discern a slightly more laid back sound from the low impedance jack and a more agressive sound from the high impedance one... or maybe I'm just perceiving minute volume differences between the two jacks and confusing that with sonic differences...
I'm also finding that with the GMP the sound volume won't increase that much after the 12:00h position on the volume noob with both jacks. (D100 horizontal position)

What's your guys experience with IEMs/low impedance/high sensitivity headphones vs high impedance/low sensitivity headphones with both jacks?

Thanks!

well, it's as you said: a) the difference in vol is noticeable using low impedance high sens headphones.b) for higher impedance/lower sensitivity hp you can't feel that difference c) after 12 the vol increase is much less (log vol pot?)

counter question. how are you finding GMP 450 with it?

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #350 of 1,182

Quote:
counter question. how are you finding GMP 450 with it?

It's a highly revealing, transparent and balanced setup.
In the first hours with the GMP, I had to adjust/reeducate my ears to it's sound because it's my first full sized headphone (only IEMs and Sennheiser PX100 until now).

But after that adjustment period, I'm finding it a great upgrade to my Head Direct RE0 IEM.
Pared with the Yulong D100, the GMP sounds very good:
spacious, extremely detailed (even more than RE0 which surprised me), deep, solid and accurate bass, superb midrange resolution, extended, crisp and highly revealing treble, very nimble and agile sound, impossible to overwhelm the incredibly fast drivers of the GMP with the large amount of detail of the most demanding music.
Above all transparent sound is what I'm getting from D100 + GMP 450 Pro, no addition nor subtraction to the recordings, so great recordings sound wonderfull and bad recordings are sounding really bad and actually less enjoyable than RE0 or even PX100 ultra portable headphone.

With any kind of accoustical music (that includes classical) the GMP is really good and I can't imagine anything better than what I'm getting right now with this setup.

You can read my impressions on the Charteroak thread, which I'll keep updating.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #352 of 1,182
Thanks for the review.  
I was so interested until you said the Yulong is like the Matrix M-stage.  The reason being that if the Yulong is like the Matrix M-stage and the Matrix M-stage is a copy of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which from what I read, a treble oriented amp, than it may be too treble oriented for my Grado RS1i.
I used to have the Nuforce and HDP, which was great as a dac but really did not match my Grado RS1i because of the treble energy and it's bass leaness of the HDP.  

I know you have the Grado RS1 which has less treble energy than the Grado RS1i, but how was the synergy with the Yulong Amp?  
Is the Yulong neutral to bright or neutral to warm or just dead neutral?

thanks
david 

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #353 of 1,182
Thanks for the review.  
I was so interested until you said the Yulong is like the Matrix M-stage.  The reason being that if the Yulong is like the Matrix M-stage and the Matrix M-stage is a copy of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which from what I read, a treble oriented amp, than it may be too treble oriented for my Grado RS1i.
I used to have the Nuforce and HDP, which was great as a dac but really did not match my Grado RS1i because of the treble energy and it's bass leaness of the HDP.  

I know you have the Grado RS1 which has less treble energy than the Grado RS1i, but how was the synergy with the Yulong Amp?  

thanks
david 

definitely bright. was too bright for my srm-1+sr404 setup. Ok for SR-507. HP jack too bright in mode 1 for CD3000 or SA5000 or W5000 for my liking.probably wouldn't like it with the grado/go deaf quite soon, but your tolerance for bright may vary :D

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #354 of 1,182

[size=medium]
Too bad.  I was so set on the Yulong. Is there a great dac/amp combo like the Yulong and Nuforce HDP that is not bright but on the warm side?
Maybe Audio GD?

thanks
[/size]

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the review.  

thanks
david 

definitely bright. was too bright for my srm-1+sr404 setup. Ok for SR-507. HP jack too bright in mode 1 for CD3000 or SA5000 or W5000 for my liking.probably wouldn't like it with the grado/go deaf quite soon, but your tolerance for bright may vary
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #355 of 1,182

[size=medium]
Too bad.  I was so set on the Yulong. Is there a great dac/amp combo like the Yulong and Nuforce HDP that is not bright but on the warm side?
Maybe Audio GD?

thanks
[/size]

sure, audio-gd ones will probably do it. just email them and ask, they seem to be ok with recommending setups (e.g. if you state whether you want musical, neutral, bright, dark, etc).then read a couple of reviews of what they recommend you.

from dac/amp combos - musiland md11 is rolled off in the highs (-3db at 20khz), you can see it from the RMAA. but um, i wouldn't recommend it overall.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #359 of 1,182
Svyr says bright.
Anymore opinions? What's the consensus?  Bright or Neutral?  Anyone use it with Grados?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #360 of 1,182
My experience has been that the D100 is nothing like the M-Stage with my headphones (HD580, K701, T1). They are harder to drive phones though and the Matrix handles these cans very well. Compared to the M-Stage, I find the onboard amp of the D100 thin, gravelly, and bright. The M-Stage has a much warmer presentation and fills in the sound, especially with vocals. I use the D100 as a DAC only and use the M-Stage as my SS amp and a WA2 as my tube amp.

Quote:
Thanks for the review.  

thanks
david 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back