Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #301 of 1,182

[size=medium]
Maybe it's a concession that Windows/OSX does a better job of sample rate switching than the internal unit in the D100. Then the D100 only has to resample from 96kHz the rest of the way to 132kHz.

BTW, my manual says the ASRC function in the unit resamples all signals to 132kHz. I think the 110kHz number is what the Benchmark site says regarding ASRC resampling in its DAC 1 unit.
[/size]

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #302 of 1,182

[size=medium]
Maybe it's a concession that Windows/OSX does a better job of sample rate switching than the internal unit in the D100. Then the D100 only has to resample from 96kHz the rest of the way to 132kHz.

BTW, my manual says the ASRC function in the unit resamples all signals to 132kHz. I think the 110kHz number is what the Benchmark site says regarding ASRC resampling in its DAC 1 unit.
[/size]

the first few units of d100 were running at 132k, they later changed it to 110k because it wasn't completely stable at 132k. The manual has not been updated, nor are the exact ranges for the serial numbers running 132k known.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #303 of 1,182
Got my D100 yesterday. Fron China to Lithuania in 2 days. I love DHL.

D100 rapes my zero in all aspects. Sound, looks, functions.... It sounds so much better. More natural. More everything. BTW serial number is 0384 :)

I honestly recommend this ebay seller, cause his service was truly exceptional. itbabyshop

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #304 of 1,182

Quote:
Quote:

the first few units of d100 were running at 132k, they later changed it to 110k because it wasn't completely stable at 132k. The manual has not been updated, nor are the exact ranges for the serial numbers running 132k known.

This is correct. If I'm not mistaken, serial # 1-50 was set for 132k, and the rest are at 110k. So even those of us with somewhat early units (myself and Skylab for example) are in the newer range. I doubt anyone here has the older setup.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #305 of 1,182
project86, have you tried any of the audio gd or little dot dacs? I'm wondering what a the difference between say a $200 dac and getting an amp like a M-Stage would be compared to just getting the Yulong D100 since I would like to get something harder to drive down the line.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #306 of 1,182

Quote:
project86, have you tried any of the audio gd or little dot dacs? I'm wondering what a the difference between say a $200 dac and getting an amp like a M-Stage would be compared to just getting the Yulong D100 since I would like to get something harder to drive down the line.

Sorry no, I have not tried those. I am on the list for the Audio GD Ref7 loaner program but I don't think that's what you are referring to.

It kind of depends on your theory of which is more important- the amplification or the source. Either way you will probably have a desire to upgrade the weak link sometime down the road.

For electronic and rock music in general, using somewhat difficult to drive headphones like an HD800, I would choose the Matrix Cube DAC paired with the M-Stage. The extra power and drive is more desirable than the improved accuracy in the DAC section. But for most classical, acoustic, vocal, and jazz, I choose the D100 for more resolution. I hope that makes sense.... and it isn't a strict rule. Ultimately if you keep going down the upgrade path you are probably going to want a better DAC than the hypothetical $200 model or a better amp than the D100 has.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #307 of 1,182
I guess you are right about that. I'd prefer just to have one dac that is neutral and transparent and this one does seem like a good one to build on and probably better than the other one I was looking at. I'll just see if I need an amp when I get to it but considering I've owned any headphones I probably wouldn't know better until I get an amp.

I don't know too much about dac's but I have a question about function. There are two outputs where one is RCA and the other is a balanced output. If I had two amps would I be able to connect it to two different amps assuming one is balanced and the other is not if I wanted to test one amp against the other?

There seems to be too many choices which does make a decision somewhat hard to make :p

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #308 of 1,182
Project86: What are your thoughts on the Matrix Cube vs the Yulong D100, using both their headphone amps on IEM's like the UM Miracle, for mainly alternative rock music?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #309 of 1,182
I'm totally loving the D100 right now with the K701.  It's almost perfect.  The only thing I could wish for would be a tad extra bass maybe, but then again part of that is down to the open back design, so I can't complain much.

All this talk about amps has got me hungry for upgrading though.  Right from the start I intended to get a seperate DAC and amp and I ended up getting the D100 to start me off.  For me it's looking like a choice between the M-Stage or the A100 (which looks nice spec wise).

Project86, I'm new to head-fi, so how will I know when your review is uploaded?  Is there a way to follow people here or will it appear on the front page?  As things stand (I appreciate you may not have had time to do a test yet), how do you expect the A100 to fair against the M-Stage, and if at all possible could you comment on which you think has the stronger bass?

Much thanks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #310 of 1,182

Quote:
I guess you are right about that. I'd prefer just to have one dac that is neutral and transparent and this one does seem like a good one to build on and probably better than the other one I was looking at. I'll just see if I need an amp when I get to it but considering I've owned any headphones I probably wouldn't know better until I get an amp.

I don't know too much about dac's but I have a question about function. There are two outputs where one is RCA and the other is a balanced output. If I had two amps would I be able to connect it to two different amps assuming one is balanced and the other is not if I wanted to test one amp against the other?

There seems to be too many choices which does make a decision somewhat hard to make :p

Yep, lots of great choices out there. That is both a good thing and a bad thing...

I've never tried both the balanced output and the single ended output at the same time. I imagine they would both be active at all times but I'm not positive. If I get a chance one day I'll test this for you. If you wanted to test 2 amps via single ended connection you could always just use RCA splitters.

Quote:
Project86: What are your thoughts on the Matrix Cube vs the Yulong D100, using both their headphone amps on IEM's like the UM Miracle, for mainly alternative rock music?

The Cube is surprisingly good with IEMs, especially good ones like the Miracle. But it doesn't quite match the precision and full extension of the D100. Both are plenty enjoyable and I use them frequently, but if given the choice of just one I would use the Yulong.

Quote:
I'm totally loving the D100 right now with the K701.  It's almost perfect.  The only thing I could wish for would be a tad extra bass maybe, but then again part of that is down to the open back design, so I can't complain much.

All this talk about amps has got me hungry for upgrading though.  Right from the start I intended to get a seperate DAC and amp and I ended up getting the D100 to start me off.  For me it's looking like a choice between the M-Stage or the A100 (which looks nice spec wise).

Project86, I'm new to head-fi, so how will I know when your review is uploaded?  Is there a way to follow people here or will it appear on the front page?  As things stand (I appreciate you may not have had time to do a test yet), how do you expect the A100 to fair against the M-Stage, and if at all possible could you comment on which you think has the stronger bass?

Much thanks.

I think there is a way to subscribe to people's posts but I don't know how... maybe someone else can help? I am inches away from posting my A100 review, just need to finish a few things and take more pictures. In summary the A100 is a bit better overall than the M-Stage, but they have different sound signatures and the M-Stage might actually be a better match for some people. Both have excellent strong bass, but the M-Stage is somewhat darker and thus gives the perception of more bass. More detail than that will have to wait for the review, which should be posted by the weekend. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #311 of 1,182
If you point your mouse cursor to the upside down triangle next to a user name you will be given options and one of them is "follow member". I'm assuming that's the same thing as subscribing to the user's post but I haven't used that function.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #312 of 1,182
Do you by any chance have a photo that allows me to compare the size of the cube and the audinst? I was originally planning to get the Yulong for home, and Audinst for transportable use. But if the cube is small enough, i might just get that 1 dac instead of two. Saves me a bunch of money as well.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #313 of 1,182
Hey Project86,

have been reading through a lot of your reviews and have come down to two different builds to be paired with K701 and swan M200MKIII

Yulong D100 or Matrix M Stage + Austinst HUD MX1

listen to all sorts of music Bowie, Tool, Temper traps, Nirvana, Beatles to name a few

cheers, tama

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #314 of 1,182
First, I'd like to thank Project86 for the excellent reviews and super pictures.

Tama,
I don't know if you need the portability features of the Audinst but otherwise, you might want to check out the HRT MS2. It's supposed to be a more neutral DAC with better soundstage and instrument separation. The M-Stage would then give the "coloration" with a little more bass "growl" for the K701 (in relative terms obviously, the AKG is not going to become bassy by any means).

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #315 of 1,182

Quote:
Hey Project86,

have been reading through a lot of your reviews and have come down to two different builds to be paired with K701 and swan M200MKIII

Yulong D100 or Matrix M Stage + Austinst HUD MX1

listen to all sorts of music Bowie, Tool, Temper traps, Nirvana, Beatles to name a few

cheers, tama

Austinst HUD MX1 is a good unit but it needs to be tweaked to "sing" at its best :) (Better PSU, change Op-amp, etc...), and i doubt that even an MX1 paired with an M-Stage can compete (in sound quality) against a D100...

Swans M200 MkIII and K701 are top-of-the line audio equipment, i think the Yulong D100 will be more "adequate", the M200 MkIII are very resolving speaker set ( i use mine with a DAC 19-DSP and it rocks) I think you'll not waste your money in offering a good source to your Swans and your K701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back