Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Dec 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #226 of 1,182
The D100 will do a decent job with the HE-5. It's not going to make the HE-5 sound the best they can, but it will be good enough to give you a pretty good measure of how they are.

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #227 of 1,182
The D100 will do a decent job with the HE-5. It's not going to make the HE-5 sound the best they can, but it will be good enough to give you a pretty good measure of how they are.

That sounds good to me. I mean, that's what people say with mostly any affordable amp being paired with high-end headphones, right? 
wink.gif

To be serious though, yea, as long as the amp pairing isn't what would cause me to be disappointed with the headphones, I think that's all I need.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #229 of 1,182

Quote:
Just ordered the D100!  Fills a perfect solid-state amp & DAC niche in my current system.  How come every time I return to Head-Fi after a long absence I end up dropping ~$500 on a new purchase?  Great reviews by project86 & Skylab certainly don't help.  My wallet curses the both of you. 
biggrin.gif

Where did you ordered your D100 ?

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #230 of 1,182

Quote:
Where did you ordered your D100 ?

I purchased mine through wsz0304 on eBay.  Arrived at my house (East coast USA) in exactly one week, much to my amazement as eBay shipping estimates ranged from 2 - 3 weeks.  I haven't had much time to listen & am burning it in as we speak, but I can definitely say that this is the most revealing source in my possession.  My Oppo BDP-83 is no slouch in this department either.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #231 of 1,182
Has anyone tried getting the Yulong D100 directly in ShenZhen? My coworker's husband travels to ShenZhen all the time for business so I thought it may be cheaper to get the DAC directly than buy it online. Any one got experience with that?

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #232 of 1,182

Quote:
Has anyone tried getting the Yulong D100 directly in ShenZhen? My coworker's husband travels to ShenZhen all the time for business so I thought it may be cheaper to get the DAC directly than buy it online. Any one got experience with that?

Depending from the place you bought the Yulong D100, if you buy the D100 via wsz0304 it's relatively the same price from his shop at ShenZen, i've bought a few DACs from him and in my opinion it's one of the best ebay seller for audio device, the service is great and in case you're unlucky with the hardware (sometimes even best devices can be faulty), he don't hesitate to repair or exchange defective hardware without additional costs.

If you want really to buy a D100 i'll advice you to go to the ShenZen store of wsz0304, it's a known vendor and you can trust in for the "after sale service".

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #233 of 1,182

Quote:
Yea, hopefully skylab will be available for comment on this. Have you heard your U100 yet? I'm still curious how it stacks up.

I've got the U100 burning in right now, but honestly I've only spent a few minutes with it. I'm focusing on the A100 amp first, which is mighty impressive so far.

Quote:

A100/D100/U100 all stacked up (with an MD11 in the middle :)

Hey I've got the same stack, but just a single U100 and no MD11.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #236 of 1,182

Quote:
would love to hear your impression and comparison between u100 and d100, project86
wink.gif

Quote:
me too!!! I only need USB input :)

I'll get there but it will take some time. I'm finishing up a review of the 1964-T customs, then on to the Yulong A100, then finally the U100. I have it burning in right now but honestly I've only listened for a minute to make sure it was working. Sorry!

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #238 of 1,182
Just ordered this baby. Found it for $487.99 shipped.

Thank you project86 for great review and comparisons!

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #240 of 1,182
Hi guys.  Just wondering if you could spare a few minutes to give me some sort of direction.  I want to get a USB DAC and a headphone amp, but I've come up with a few options and just wanted to get some input.  I'll be using AKG K701.

Basically after having read project86's great review of the Matrix M-Stage and with the revelation that it pretty much does everything as good as the Lehman Black Cube Linear, plus the fact you can change the opamps, I was convinced that it was the amp for me (opamp rolling is somewhat of interest to me as I would be aiming for a tad more bass).

With the M-Stage pretty much decided on, I then started to take a look at DACs.  Three models immediately stood out to me were
Mavrick Audio D1 (for it's favourable reviews, tweakability)
Matrix Mini i DAC (for similar reasons as the D1, but seemed like a bit of a step up)
Yulong D100 (a recent consideration having read project86's review).

So I have a few questions.
Are the Mavrick Audio D1 and Matrix Mini i DAC high enough quality to be a good match with the M-Stage?  Which of the two would you go with from a sound quality standpoint?
Project86 commented that the audio quality of the Yulong D100's amp is quite close to the M-Stage except for a few situations (I think it was high volumes, but if memory serves correctly, the M-Stage should be powerful enough to drive the K701 at full volume at only 50% output)  Basically I'm wondering if it's still worth getting an M-Stage if I were to get the Yulong D100, or is the quality close enough for it to be considered a bad investment?

I had intended to spend around £200 on the amp (the price of some new K701 for currency comparison) and £100 on a standalone USB DAC.  I'm a little green to this still, so I'm not sure how much I'm expected to spend to match or get the best out of the K701.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back