Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Sep 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #138 of 1,182

Quote:
Well that also means the volume control doesn't effect it but some DAC's use an opamp even on the DAC outputs.  Not that it really amplifies the signal enough for headphone.

quote from project86's post:

"Thus far most of my general description could be any old DAC/amp combo. The magic here is in the design, in the combination of parts and implementation. Standard digital signals are accepted by a Cirrus Logic CS8416, and USB input is handled by a Texas Instruments TAS1020B. From there the signal is sent in I2S form to the Analog Devices AD1896 asynchronous sample rate converter, where it is processed to a 110kHz sample rate using a high precision system clock, and word lengths are padded to 24-bit. That signal then goes to an AD1955 where the actual digital to analog conversion happens. I/V conversion, filtering, and buffering are then handled by the combo of AD4075 and OPA275. At that point the signal is ready to go when using the D100 as a DAC. When using it directly with headphones, the signal is sent through the headphone amp section which features an OPA2134"

So it seems that the single to the line out is not amped by OPA2134.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #141 of 1,182
Someone else previously asked if this DAC amp is a good match for a pair of Denon D5000. Could you tell ?

P86. I note that you previously had (or listened to) the X-CANv8... I know many people consider it more of a dac AMP, but I'd be very happy if you could tell us a few words to compare them.

Thanks in advance,

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #142 of 1,182
I recently went with the Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX rather than the Yulong D100 (mostly because of lack of volume control on the line out, impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496590/dr-dac2-dx-unboxing/15#post_6984827). Still, I'd be curious about the following:

• Which sample rates does the Yulong D100 accept via USB? The DR.DAC2 DX does 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz but no 88.2 kHz.
  • How susceptible is the Yulong D100 to how it's connected via USB? With the DR.DAC2 DX I get crackling noises if I use it via a USB hub. Directly plugging it into the laptop it works fine (and it also works fine with USB hub on an other laptop).

Thanks

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #143 of 1,182

Quote:
Someone else previously asked if this DAC amp is a good match for a pair of Denon D5000. Could you tell ?

P86. I note that you previously had (or listened to) the X-CANv8... I know many people consider it more of a dac AMP, but I'd be very happy if you could tell us a few words to compare them.

Thanks in advance,

For the D5000: I don't see why it wouldn't be a good match. The amp portion might not compete with the best stand alone amps available, but it is still quite good. And you already know my opinion of the DAC section; there are better DACs out there but they will certainly cost you.

I still have my X-CAN v8 although it is in a setup that I almost never use. It's a pretty good amp, more on the warm side, with great dynamics. It was a bit overpriced though, and the X-PSU was extremely overpriced considering the little pinkie PSU you can buy for a fraction of the price. X-CAN v8 might be a good buy on the used market though if you can find one on the cheap.

As for the built in DAC, it is just OK, nothing special. I think the V-DAC from the same company is easily superior though, if that gives you an idea.
Quote:
I recently went with the Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX rather than the Yulong D100 (mostly because of lack of volume control on the line out, impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496590/dr-dac2-dx-unboxing/15#post_6984827). Still, I'd be curious about the following:

• Which sample rates does the Yulong D100 accept via USB? The DR.DAC2 DX does 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz but no 88.2 kHz.
  • How susceptible is the Yulong D100 to how it's connected via USB? With the DR.DAC2 DX I get crackling noises if I use it via a USB hub. Directly plugging it into the laptop it works fine (and it also works fine with USB hub on an other laptop).

Thanks

I've been meaning to try one of those Audiotrak DACs ever since I got the Audinst HUD-mx1 (also from Korea) which is very impressive. The DR. DAC2 looks great, I'll be following your thread about it.

To answer your questions:

1) All of those sample rates, including 88.2kHz, work via USB input. Not that I have much of a library of 88.2kHz material..... I think I've got one album and maybe a few single tracks and that's it. You probably aren't missing much.

2) Interesting. I posted once earlier about how on a very hot day I heard a bunch of distortion from the D100 when using the USB input, and then it eventually lost the signal. I assumed something was getting too hot, perhaps the TAS1020B chip. But maybe I was all wrong. Maybe I just had it plugged into a USB port that it didn't like. I don't own an external hub, but I know that laptops sometimes have differences between the multiple USB ports on one side of the device and the single USB port on the other. I've not been able to reproduce that error though. What does your problem sound like when you use a hub?

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #145 of 1,182

Quote:
To answer your questions:

1) All of those sample rates, including 88.2kHz, work via USB input. Not that I have much of a library of 88.2kHz material..... I think I've got one album and maybe a few single tracks and that's it. You probably aren't missing much.

2) Interesting. I posted once earlier about how on a very hot day I heard a bunch of distortion from the D100 when using the USB input, and then it eventually lost the signal. I assumed something was getting too hot, perhaps the TAS1020B chip. But maybe I was all wrong. Maybe I just had it plugged into a USB port that it didn't like. I don't own an external hub, but I know that laptops sometimes have differences between the multiple USB ports on one side of the device and the single USB port on the other. I've not been able to reproduce that error though. What does your problem sound like when you use a hub?

Thanks for your answer!

The USB problem is perfectly reproducible every time I try it. On the least affected USB port it's just an occasional crackle/pop; on the most affected one it's close to constant static.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #146 of 1,182

Quote:

Thanks for your answer!

The USB problem is perfectly reproducible every time I try it. On the least affected USB port it's just an occasional crackle/pop; on the most affected one it's close to constant static.

Are you talking about the usb problem of the Dr. Dac2? I just received my Yulong D100 last week and never had any problem with the usb yet.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #148 of 1,182
Anyone had a chance to compare this to the Yulong 1704 Dac? I can't seem to find any impressions of that on here. I'm not interested in the amps cause I've got the M-Stage showing up soon-just looking at the dac portion. Thanks!

-Daniel

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #149 of 1,182

Quote:
Anyone had a chance to compare this to the Yulong 1704 Dac? I can't seem to find any impressions of that on here. I'm not interested in the amps cause I've got the M-Stage showing up soon-just looking at the dac portion. Thanks!

-Daniel

If you dig back in this thread, someone translated comments from another forum somewhere.... it was the designer from Yulong posting about the D100, and he answered a question about the differences between the D100 and the 1704. If I remember correctly, his opinion was that the 1704 was the better DAC when being fed a pristine signal from a low jitter source, via coaxial or toslink only. Using USB, or a less than perfect source, made the D100 come out ahead. I'd love to see more impressions of the 1704 but they don't seem to market it much so I kind of doubt we ever will.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #150 of 1,182
Yeah I remember those comments, but I have almost no clue what a jitter-free source is lol. I've been reading about headphones and amps for nealy a year now, and just now getting to the dac stuff! I will basically be using my computer for all of my listening, and it has all digital outputs: usb, coaxial, and optical. Would the latter 2 be considered a low jitter method, or not? Perhaps if you could kindly provide a link that I can study up on this stuff it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back