REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #483 of 1,613
Id like to get mcullinan's opinion of the 2 as well. Should be interesting given that the eximus is a lot more expensive over the DA8.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #485 of 1,613
  ok i will try this coming weekend... i wonder too. Maybe I could have saved a bunch of $$... :wink:

What headphones/speakers will you be using? My full range horns will finally be complete this week and i can't wait to hear them with the DA8!

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #486 of 1,613
  ok i will try this coming weekend... i wonder too. Maybe I could have saved a bunch of $$... :wink:

I'm more interested in the presentation than anything. A 'super-wide' soundstage doesn't impress me at all-been there, done that (M7). I'm more concerned with holographic 3D imaging, intimacy, and tonal balance which is where the Eximus excels. The the 'they are here' rather than the 'you are there' aspect is what separates the DP-1 from all others I've heard. I've heard a few that are 'technically' maybe a titch better than the DP-1, but none that come close to the musical intimacy that draws you in so well.

-Daniel

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #488 of 1,613
  I had this RME sound card before Yulong units.
I think it did up/down sampling on its own. It was usable as a standalone unit so that its inner sample rate remained the same.

I have been looking into their products for digitizing my vinyl as a fun project. Do you have experience in this area by chance?

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #489 of 1,613
Has anyone got any comparison between some audio-gd and yulong DA8?

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #490 of 1,613
  Has anyone got any comparison between some audio-gd and yulong DA8?

It's been a while, but I believe I enjoy the DA8 more than the Reference 7. Don't have experience with any of their other stuff though. Audio GD makes good gear, for sure, so does Yulong, and both have a lot to offer. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #492 of 1,613
Little teaser. DA8 stacked with Headamp GS-1

First brief impressions.
Sorry guys, this is not Vega, not even close, where did details and soundstage go
frown.gif
. Guess not really a surprise to anyone.
But it sounds fun, warm, and non fatiguing, definitely nothing like Burson Conductor. Burning it in, hopefully that'll help to open it up, as so far it sounds a bit congested and smeared, even with GS-1 and HD800.
On board amp is quite capable, has enough power to drive HD800 and T1. Can serve just fine I guess with lesser phones for casual listening, don't expect much though.

Using Sharp filter and Jitter Eliminator Bypass. Noticed that even with Amplifier ON, there is signal in line out RCA. Is that intentional or just some crosstalking/bleeding? Not quite happy with headphone socket, it doesn't give that sure locking feeling I am getting with Taurus and GS-1, there is some wiggle on the way in, seems to lock fine when fully in.

At this point not 100% sure that this is a keeper, need something more resolving.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #493 of 1,613
  Little teaser. DA8 stacked with Headamp GS-1

First brief impressions.
Sorry guys, this is not Vega, not even close, where did details and soundstage go
frown.gif
. Guess not really a surprise to anyone.
But it sounds fun, warm, and non fatiguing, definitely nothing like Burson Conductor. Burning it in, hopefully that'll help to open it up, as so far it sounds a bit congested and smeared, even with GS-1 and HD800.
On board amp is quite capable, has enough power to drive HD800 and T1. Can serve just fine I guess with lesser phones for casual listening, don't expect much though.

Using Sharp filter and Jitter Eliminator Bypass. Noticed that even with Amplifier ON, there is signal in line out RCA. Is that intentional or just some crosstalking/bleeding? Not quite happy with headphone socket, it doesn't give that sure locking feeling I am getting with Taurus and GS-1, there is some wiggle on the way in, seems to lock fine when fully in.

At this point not 100% sure that this is a keeper, need something more resolving.

I notice you're using USB. Try taking the iUSB out of the chain and see if there's a difference. Also try taping USB pins 1&4 on the PC side, I found that to bring a very noticeable improvement. Another Head-Fi'er also reported that being better than iUSB as well (using electrical tape on 1&4). You may also want to double check the output voltage between the two dacs as you know the louder one will inherently sound better. Good luck!

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #494 of 1,613

I notice you're using USB. Try taking the iUSB out of the chain and see if there's a difference. Also try taping USB pins 1&4 on the PC side, I found that to bring a very noticeable improvement. Another Head-Fi'er also reported that being better than iUSB as well (using electrical tape on 1&4). You may also want to double check the output voltage between the two dacs as you know the louder one will inherently sound better. Good luck!

Not using iUSB with it, nor planning to. But sure, I can try it out, never seen anything but quite negligible improvement from it with other DACs.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #495 of 1,613
  Not using iUSB with it, nor planning to. But sure, I can try it out, never seen anything but quite negligible improvement from it with other DACs.

Yeah, see what happens I guess. Do try covering USB pins 1&4, which will allow for the DA8's own Class A power to feed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back