REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #166 of 1,613
I believe in burn-in for DACs. That's the experience I had will every DAC I've owned. Jason/Mike of Schiit Audio also believes in about 100 hours for the Bifrost to settle, so it's not a crazy notion, these guys have been around the DAC scene for a while.
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #168 of 1,613

I believe in burn-in for DACs. That's the experience I had will every DAC I've owned. Jason/Mike of Schiit Audio also believes in about 100 hours for the Bifrost to settle, so it's not a crazy notion, these guys have been around the DAC seen for a while.
wink.gif

Pro audio: no more than 50 h (only to see if products have problems).

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #169 of 1,613
I do not understand why to believe or not. Haven't you got any ears to believe in what you listen? I don't ask anyone to believe in what I have heard, I'm just telling you what I have listened to... You believe or not, it's not my concern anyway... it's only a shared experience and nobody is dead for that.. 
Best regards. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #170 of 1,613
I've had my DA8 since Monday. I would listen to Planet Caravan when I come home from work to see if there was a difference since I started burning it in. So far, I do feel there is a slight difference from when i started in the sound stage & 3d presentation. Could be placebo since I really like this system but the more I listen, the more I'm getting immersed in the songs.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #171 of 1,613
Someone has measured the output of a capacitor after replacing it, hopefully that could help explaining the burn-in phenomenon.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/81355-capacitor-burn-break.html

After a few minutes:

After 1 day:

After 2 days:

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #173 of 1,613
And, 100% fake to the skeptics and tin-eared brigade who maintain that anything they can't hear doesn't exist.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #174 of 1,613
Nice review - thanks. I appreciate the time and trouble you take. Ordered a DA8. Owned a Mytek DSD, and thought the best thing about it was the pre amp section via XLR. It was a very competant dac but too neutral in the mid range for me.

Toying with a MSB Analogue.

Cheers
Andrew

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #176 of 1,613
Nice review - thanks. I appreciate the time and trouble you take. Ordered a DA8. Owned a Mytek DSD, and thought the best thing about it was the pre amp section via XLR. It was a very competant dac but too neutral in the mid range for me.

Toying with a MSB Analogue.

Cheers
Andrew

While in terms of price, DA8 is at a very different level with MSB, I would like to know your comparison between them, when you get your DA8 later.

Many owners of MSB DACs seem to really like their DACs, but when MSB charges $4995 for a femto clock upgrade, I found it very difficult to accept (knowing that I can buy an ExaSound e20 mk3, which is using a better femto clock, at $3000)

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #178 of 1,613
Aug 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #179 of 1,613
Quote:
Can it render .iso (dsd) files from usb ?

If you mean playing .iso from a local storage (external HDD or thumb drive) connected to a USB port, I do not think so. Oppo has been forced to stop supporting .iso playback on BDP-95 (http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-93_Media_Files_FAQ#Does_it_support_Blu-ray_ISO_files_on_HDD.3F). I believe it is the same case for the BDP-105.
You will have to convert your SACD .iso albums to either DFF or DFS tracks.

If you mean playing .iso (dsd) files via a computer using the BDP-105 as DAC, the answer is no. At least, not now. DSD is only supported on local storage.
Of course you can configure the player on your computer to convert DSD to PCM but I think you do not want this.

A DA8 connected to a computer with a player with .iso and DSD capability will render all your DSD media.
I use JRiver MC to play .iso (DSD) files. Foobar2000 will do, as well.
For Mac users, Audirvana+ will play SACD .iso files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back