REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jul 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #46 of 1,613
Quote:
I think the Mytek has higher output than Matrix on XLR.

Do you agree with these reviews below (especially for what concerns the Yulong?)
http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/?p=828
http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/?p=870

Sorry, missed your question. 

I don't really hear the two devices in the same way as that reviewer. In fact I'd put it almost exactly opposite - I find the Yulong smooth, not energetic in the upper midrange. The Mytek, on the other hand, does have too much energy, among other issues. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #47 of 1,613
Anyone can compare Yulong DA8 with Benchmark DAC2?

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #48 of 1,613
Continuing Grounding Problem with Yulong DA8

I connected it to my other stereo system and I am having the same grounding problem. I notice that playing a DSD 128 track after a DSD 64 track or vice versa results in two bursts of noise. Playing a DSD track either 64 or 128 after another type of resolution such as DXD or Redbook, results in one burst of noise. Closing the JRiver Media software program results in one burst of noise. I have sent an email to the seller, JTam on how to return it or do they have someone in the U.S who can look at it?   

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #50 of 1,613
Quote:

I'd have to have the V800 back for direct comparisons, just be be absolutely certain. But I've used DA8 with V200 and it does sound very good indeed. Pairs well with almost everything, from T1 and HD800 to LCD-2 and HE-500 to JH13FP, ES5, 8.A, and a bunch more. Definitely a good all around combo. 

Thank you for your support. I'm looking for a dac to pair my v200 (actually i've a nuforce hdp) , i'm uncertain between da8 and v800 and it' not an easy choice :).

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #51 of 1,613
Quote:
Thank you for your support. I'm looking for a dac to pair my v200 (actually i've a nuforce hdp) , i'm uncertain between da8 and v800 and it' not an easy choice :).

If I were you I'd go with the V800 for the beautiful looking fo the Violectric stack. John did compare the V800 with X-Sabre, and the other DAC he owns, basically it's just a different taste. It could be better to my preference, but its indeed that everyone has different taste.

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #52 of 1,613
Well the most important thing for me is that It's good know that there are so many interesting and good sounding DACs in the 600-2000 $ price range that you can choose depending on your taste/chain.

Pairing is crucial and that is something that everybody has to figure out for themselves, based on the charactestics of each component. That certainly is not an easy task, though!

I just think that Project86 is doing a wonderful job with his reviews that highlights DACs different flavors and pairing opportunities which makes it very clear to understand. I trust him immensely.

I am a former owner of the Mytek 192 and I am looking for a replacement unit. I am looking for a more refined, musical unit. I agree with Project86 and SoundBsessive review for the most part. I really think the Mytek is overestimated (lean sounding, not engaging, HP amp ridiculous). 

I think than any of the other DACs is a better choice (Concero, Matrix, Anedio D2, DA8). 

Project86 you just need one more comparison to be the most influential of all the reviewers and that is with the Audio-GD Master 7. I am looking forward on your impressions, because based on the forumer's opinions It should be better than DA8 and Matrix and could be a strong competition (if not on par) for the Invicta. 

In particular you have to confirm if the M7 is very detailed but can still keep musicality (the strenght of thje Invicta and the very best DACs).

Thank you

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #53 of 1,613
Quote:
If I were you I'd go with the V800 for the beautiful looking fo the Violectric stack. John did compare the V800 with X-Sabre, and the other DAC he owns, basically it's just a different taste. It could be better to my preference, but its indeed that everyone has different taste.

Unfortunately i've not way to hear then, so you suggestions are very important for me.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #54 of 1,613
I think this is your longest review yet on head-fi :p

Excellent review. I really like what Yulong is doing. I've been impressed by the products I've owned in the past (D100 and D18) and they keep getting better it seems.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #55 of 1,613
Quote:
Well the most important thing for me is that It's good know that there are so many interesting and good sounding DACs in the 600-2000 $ price range that you can choose depending on your taste/chain.

Pairing is crucial and that is something that everybody has to figure out for themselves, based on the charactestics of each component. That certainly is not an easy task, though!

I just think that Project86 is doing a wonderful job with his reviews that highlights DACs different flavors and pairing opportunities which makes it very clear to understand. I trust him immensely.

I am a former owner of the Mytek 192 and I am looking for a replacement unit. I am looking for a more refined, musical unit. I agree with Project86 and SoundBsessive review for the most part. I really think the Mytek is overestimated (lean sounding, not engaging, HP amp ridiculous). 

I think than any of the other DACs is a better choice (Concero, Matrix, Anedio D2, DA8). 

Project86 you just need one more comparison to be the most influential of all the reviewers and that is with the Audio-GD Master 7. I am looking forward on your impressions, because based on the forumer's opinions It should be better than DA8 and Matrix and could be a strong competition (if not on par) for the Invicta. 

In particular you have to confirm if the M7 is very detailed but can still keep musicality (the strenght of thje Invicta and the very best DACs).

Thank you

That's a request I get often, up there with NAD M51. I'll see what I can do but I'm super backed up on reviews so I really couldn't say when, if ever, it will happen. And by the time my schedule opens up Kingwa will probably have a Master 7.1 or something!

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #56 of 1,613
That's a request I get often, up there with NAD M51. I'll see what I can do but I'm super backed up on reviews so I really couldn't say when, if ever, it will happen. And by the time my schedule opens up Kingwa will probably have a Master 7.1 or something!
You think "just" a 7.1, sounds more like the Master 9 by then, knowing Kingwa :p

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #57 of 1,613
Quote:
You think "just" a 7.1, sounds more like the Master 9 by then, knowing Kingwa
tongue.gif

heh, I get what you mean, though it would be a 7.1 or 7.2 or something, just because the 9 series is his totl non acss dacs
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #58 of 1,613

I'll keep waiting for it! We are abusing with your time, I know...

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #59 of 1,613
Quote:
heh, I get what you mean, though it would be a 7.1 or 7.2 or something, just because the 9 series is his totl non acss dacs
tongue.gif

See, this all assumes Kingwa has any rhyme or reason to his naming conventions. I'm not so sure he does.... Ref 7 to Ref 7.1 was one of the few clear naming choices. NFB-1.32? NFB-2.32? I'm lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back