REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,054 of 1,613
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,055 of 1,613
I have a question for the thread. I just ordered a Yulong DA8 and am very excited to get it. In the near term, I will only have my HD 650 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to use with it and will not have a dedicated amp so I will likely be limited to in the integrated amp in the DA8 for awhile.

From a lot of the impressions I have read, it sounds like the Hifiman HE 400 has special synergy with the DA8 amp. Is the HE400 so much better with it than my HD 650, which i have read is powered decent but not ideal, that it might be worth buying one? Unfortunately funds are tight for awhile so a few hundred might be all i can spend in addition to the DA8 for awhile. Or I could just save that and wait awhile longer to out toward a dedicated amp like Woo Wa6se or Yulong A28 when I can afford it better.

I have always really liked the sound signature of the HD 650, especially with benefits of silver cabling, and have found it to scale incredibly well.

Any recommendations would be very welcome. Also, my signature is very outdated as I had to downsize awhile ago and haven't updated it yet.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,056 of 1,613
Also, many thanks to DarKen23 and Andrew_Wot for replying to my PMs with very helpful and insightful comments and steering me to the DA8, which I think will be a great move.

Also, many thanks yet again Project86 for your continuing amazing reviews. They have more credibility and reliability than I have found anywhere else by a good margin, and are very well written. I know I for one i definitely follow your reviews at Inner Fidelity and other writings as a result. Cheers.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,057 of 1,613
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,058 of 1,613
I have a question for the thread. I just ordered a Yulong DA8 and am very excited to get it. In the near term, I will only have my HD 650 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to use with it and will not have a dedicated amp so I will likely be limited to in the integrated amp in the DA8 for awhile.

From a lot of the impressions I have read, it sounds like the Hifiman HE 400 has special synergy with the DA8 amp. Is the HE400 so much better with it than my HD 650, which i have read is powered decent but not ideal, that it might be worth buying one? Unfortunately funds are tight for awhile so a few hundred might be all i can spend in addition to the DA8 for awhile. Or I could just save that and wait awhile longer to out toward a dedicated amp like Woo Wa6se or Yulong A28 when I can afford it better.

I have always really liked the sound signature of the HD 650, especially with benefits of silver cabling, and have found it to scale incredibly well.

Any recommendations would be very welcome. Also, my signature is very outdated as I had to downsize awhile ago and haven't updated it yet.
Try the da8 alone first, I think you'll be quite happy with the built in amp using the HD650. You might want to consider getting a dedicated amp for the da8 when you opt for a different pair of headphones.

Congrats on the purchase, if you had the D18, you'll love the DA8.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,061 of 1,613
I lent my Yulong to a friend, he tells me that if the DA8 reproduces DSD there are no problems but using PCM he listen, from headphone, only noises and hiss.
He has a Mac with Mavericks: now I don't know if my unit is broken or there is a software problem. 

Has anyone else had this problem? 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,062 of 1,613
  I don't see why not. Speakers, especially active models, are used by a lot of people here. DA8 makes a good front end for that sort of situation. Not sure why it's bothersome to have that info here. 

I am actually looking at a pair of Dynaudio BM15A's.   The speaker chat here inspired me.  I have a nice 2 channel (external amp powered) set up right now but I have always been interested to try out some powered monitors.  I will run them through the DA8 for now and then down the road with the D8 when it is finished.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,063 of 1,613
When I bought the Mytek 192 my only idea was to have a very simple set-up: Mac->DAC->Active monitors (only XLR cables).
Looking for a different DAC, with the same or similar functionalities, this 3ad helped me to choose the Yulong DA8.
Thanks to all 
wink_face.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,065 of 1,613
  I lent my Yulong to a friend, he tells me that if the DA8 reproduces DSD there are no problems but using PCM he listen, from headphone, only noises and hiss.
He has a Mac with Mavericks: now I don't know if my unit is broken or there is a software problem. 

Has anyone else had this problem? 
confused_face_2.gif

Not that I've heard of. Sounds like maybe a problem with his Mac - they aren't foolproof, despite having way less (usually driver related) USB DAC issues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back