REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Dec 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #706 of 1,613

Haven't had faulty/defective electronics for a very long time.
I still use a pair of speakers from 2004, a macbook pro from 2007, and a Yamaha digital piano from 2009.
Also have a pair of Koss portable headphones from 2006. Although I don't listen to it much anymore, but they still show no sign of degradation.

I think faulty electronics are quite rare nowadays.  I'll worry about it if mine breaks within 1 year :)
But yea, most other dealers offer 2-year or 3-year extended warranty at an added price.  Don't think this "group buy dealer" offers any of those options at all.

Since I work for a tech startup (well probably not considered a startup anymore), I tend to support tech startups in the bay area :D
I'll continue to buy from them, until they screw up on warranty for me one day.

Btw, DarKen23, I am trying to make a balanced cable brunk made for you.
Could you or brunk give me more info? Could you or brunk PM me links to the components needed? Thanks!

Buy your connectors from Dale Pro Audio since they have free shipping, or Amazon if they offer a good price and you have Prime.

List for hooking up from the rear:
2x Neutrik NC3FXB
1x Neutrik NC4FXB
optional: 1x Neutrik NC4MXB (if you need to re-terminate your HP cable)

List for hooking up a balanced phone to front:
1x Neutrik NC4FXB
1x Neutrik NP3XB
or you can leave some cable length on cable re-termination to make the pigtail adapter and omit the NP3XB.

Wiring Diagram:

4-Pin XLR wiring:
Pin 1: Left positive (+)
Pin 2: Left negative (-)
Pin 3: Right positive (+)
Pin 4: Right negative (-)

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #707 of 1,613
Thanks brunk! This is very helpful!

what kind of cable would you recommend?

Buy your connectors from Dale Pro Audio since they have free shipping, or Amazon if they offer a good price and you have Prime.

List for hooking up from the rear:
2x Neutrik NC3FXB
1x Neutrik NC4FXB
optional: 1x Neutrik NC4MXB (if you need to re-terminate your HP cable)

List for hooking up a balanced phone to front:
1x Neutrik NC4FXB
1x Neutrik NP3XB
or you can leave some cable length on cable re-termination to make the pigtail adapter and omit the NP3XB.

Wiring Diagram:

4-Pin XLR wiring:
Pin 1: Left positive (+)

Pin 2: Left negative (-)

Pin 3: Right positive (+)

Pin 4: Right negative (-)

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #708 of 1,613
Thanks brunk! This is very helpful!

what kind of cable would you recommend?

Anything 24-20 awg wire will be good. 18awg will be a little rough to fit through the boot on the jacks. Preferably stranded. Mogami/Canare bulk wire comes to mind...

EDIT: My personal favorite is Canare Star Quad L-4E6AT for a 4-conductor cable, and standard Mogami for 3-conductor.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #709 of 1,613
  Anything 24-20 awg wire will be good. 18awg will be a little rough to fit through the boot on the jacks. Preferably stranded. Mogami/Canare bulk wire comes to mind...

EDIT: My personal favorite is Canare Star Quad L-4E6AT for a 4-conductor cable, and standard Mogami for 3-conductor.

Just ordered 2 Neutrik NC3FXB and 1 Neutrik NC4FXB from Dale Pro Audio.  Hopefully they'll get here before the holidays.
I am going to hook up from the rear XLR output of DA8. 

Question regarding hooking up a balanced HPs to the front using Neutrik NP3XB:  isn't DA8's front headphone jack unbalanced? Doesn't that defeats the purpose of using balanced cables/HPs if they are connected to DA8's front headphone jack?

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #710 of 1,613

Just ordered 2 Neutrik NC3FXB and 1 Neutrik NC4FXB from Dale Pro Audio.  Hopefully they'll get here before the holidays.
I am going to hook up from the rear XLR output of DA8. 

Question regarding hooking up a balanced HPs to the front using Neutrik NP3XB:  isn't DA8's front headphone jack single-end? Doesn't that defeats the purpose of using balanced cables/HPs if they are connected to DA8's front headphone jack?

Correct, the DA8's front jack is indeed single ended. I had Brunk build me an adapter because my HD800 has dual 3pin XLR cable and I needed an adapter that accepted dual 3pins-to-single 4pin XLR for my dedicated amplifier, not the DA8 alone. If youd like to connect to the DA8 via balanced, youd have to go either a 4pin XLR-to-dual 3pin XLR female, or you can just purchase 2 female-to-female 3pin adapters depending on the cable configuration youve got.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #711 of 1,613
Just found a really good web page and want to share:  http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm

It has a section on how to convert HE500's cable to balanced with pictures :D

Looks like 4pin XLR is the new standard, too bad the DA8 has two 3 pin XLR.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #712 of 1,613
  Just found a really good web page and want to share:  http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm

It has a section on how to convert HE500's cable to balanced with pictures :D

Looks like 4pin XLR is the new standard, too bad the DA8 has two 3 pin XLR.

4 pin xlr is a new standard for headphones, XLR interconnect is still dual 3 pin and DA8 XLR output is primarily designed for output to amp not headphones.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #713 of 1,613
Please note people:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/group-buys

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #715 of 1,613
Just received mine today... and wow. Floored and impressed right from the get go.

Trying it as is, without the WA7 amp and it already sounds better compared to the Wa7 amp/dac. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, yet I sit here in amazement. Its going to be a fine day.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #716 of 1,613
  Just received mine today... and wow. Floored and impressed right from the get go.

Trying it as is, without the WA7 amp and it already sounds better compared to the Wa7 amp/dac. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, yet I sit here in amazement. Its going to be a fine day.

That's great to hear! I can't wait to receive my HE-500 and Yulong DA8.

What are the differences that you hear between the Yulong DA8 and WA7? Obviously you'll hear differences as time goes by, but what struck you immediately?

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #717 of 1,613
If anyone is interested in a Yulong DA8, I have a quite literally brand new black one up in the classifieds. Open to anything. Don't get me wrong, I got it to see how it would fare up with my other gear, and it is excellent, but I like to try other things, I'm a curious Head-Fi'er.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #718 of 1,613

That's great to hear! I can't wait to receive my HE-500 and Yulong DA8.

What are the differences that you hear between the Yulong DA8 and WA7? Obviously you'll hear differences as time goes by, but what struck you immediately?

So far, it sounds more organic to me. Live, but not muddy. WA7 has a way of making the music sound jumpy and live, but its not always organic, and sometimes muddy. I'm also hearing some instruments that never really stood out before. For speedy metal tracks, the piano just seems to zip through out of thin air. I can also hear the guitar pucks on certain tracks. The double bass drum also has a nice airy quality now. To be fair, the WA7 also did a nice job reproducing the double bass drum but its definitely not as apparent. So I would definitely say the detail retrieval has been excellent so far, and a big improvement over the WA7.

Have to leave for work soon... but I'm going to use the DA8 as a pure dac and connect it to the WA7 later tonight or tomorrow.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #719 of 1,613

So far, it sounds more organic to me. Live, but not muddy. WA7 has a way of making the music sound jumpy and live, but its not always organic, and sometimes muddy. I'm also hearing some instruments that never really stood out before. For speedy metal tracks, the piano just seems to zip through out of thin air. So I would definitely say the detail retrieval has been excellent so far, and a big improvement over the WA7.

Play some instrumental guitar/percussion with the DA8, oh my goodness it's wonderful!

This guy is great! Check out his albums, most have the option of being free (name your price). The album Internal Flight LIVE (24/44.1) is killer (skip past the 15 min. intro though). The live album has a dynamic range of 13-19, so crank it up 
biggrin.gif

http://estastonne.bandcamp.com/

I like the "Slow" filter best with that live album too.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #720 of 1,613
  Play some instrumental guitar/percussion with the DA8, oh my goodness it's wonderful!

This guy is great! Check out his albums, most have the option of being free (name your price). The album Internal Flight LIVE (24/44.1) is killer (skip past the 15 min. intro though). The live album has a dynamic range of 13-19, so crank it up 
biggrin.gif

http://estastonne.bandcamp.com/

I like the "Slow" filter best with that live album too.

Will check it out.

First thing I did was change the voltage setting thanks to your well placed posts. Next is to get some electrical tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back