REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #346 of 1,613
  You're right! Are the XRL outputs "true balanced"? (a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector.)

Yep! The single ended output is derived from the balanced signal, instead of the other way around.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #347 of 1,613
Tnx 
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #348 of 1,613

So you got your answer.

Good to know that it's true balanced, but wait a minute... I think I can hear a better sound right now!
Just joking 
o2smile.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #349 of 1,613
I received my new DA8 from Grant Fidelity!  It actually came in last week but I had been away till today.. 
It sounds so nice with the V200 and LCD2, midrange is very yummy, and the overall sound is quite warm.  The bass is also excellent, my LCD-2 finally has great bass impact!
The DA8 is definitely a nice step up from my Rega DAC (which made vocals sound too close-mic'ed and had a tad too much upper rolloff) and a major step up from my old Bifrost (which I found a bit thin).  The soundstaging of the DA8 is better than both of those as well.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #351 of 1,613
I received my new DA8 from Grant Fidelity!  It actually came in last week but I had been away till today.. 
It sounds so nice with the V200 and LCD2, midrange is very yummy, and the overall sound is quite warm.  The bass is also excellent, my LCD-2 finally has great bass impact!
The DA8 is definitely a nice step up from my Rega DAC (which made vocals sound too close-mic'ed and had a tad too much upper rolloff) and a major step up from my old Bifrost (which I found a bit thin).  The soundstaging of the DA8 is better than both of those as well.

That setup looks stunning! I love that red cable for the LCDs. Congrats on your DA8 :beerchug:

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #352 of 1,613
Nice pic! Agreed, especially as it pertains to the Rega DAC. I really wanted to love that thing but the rolled off top end was a downer for me. 
Whats up project86, I wanted to ask you about the pairing of DA8 with the Auralic Taurus. Maybe you can provide some comparison between the Taurus and A18 using the DA8? Thanks.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #353 of 1,613
@viper2005 :
hello,
could you describe in bit more the difference between DA8 & your Rega ?
Concerning scene depth & width : any difference ?...
Although it is said the DA8 is "warm", some people mention that DA8 can be sharp in treble zone. Do you confirm ?
Honnetly, the difference worths the price (but not more), or you jumped 1 category ahead ? :wink:
Rgds

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #354 of 1,613
@viper2005 :
hello,
Although it is said the DA8 is "warm", some people mention that DA8 can be sharp in treble zone. Do you confirm ?
Honnetly, the difference worths the price (but not more), or you jumped 1 category ahead ? :wink:
Rgds
I wouldnt say the DA8 is warm, its more on the neutral side with a hint of warm. But in no way is the treble bright or sharp, unless the playback was recorded in that fashion. As a D18 owner, Id say the D18 leans more towards the warm/darker side.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #355 of 1,613
Just received my DA8... sounding great. What are peoples favorite settings? I guess there are only 2. Filter and Jitter reducer.. Slow and Bypass.
Wow the imaging is really great!! :) Yeah!
M

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #356 of 1,613
@viper2005 :
hello,
Rgds

The Rega DAC is much warmer than the DA8, which along with its treble roll off makes it sound very constricted with very little air. The DA8's imaging is definitely improved over the Rega.. However! The LCD2 is known for its limited sound staging so I don't think that it is really a good phone to use to evaluate soundstage.
The DA8 has some treble rolloff, but it is a smaller amount than the Rega. It is not harsh at all, not even with music that is mastered 'hot', and using the 'Sharp' filter..
I do find the DA8 to be more detailed than the Rega. Where the Rega is super forgiving of bad recordings, I can hear some faults in recordings with the DA8 that were masked before.. The Rega was as warm as a pair of earmuffs, and with as much detail. :p
Do I think it's worth the price? Mostly yes. Considering I paid only $650 for my Rega DAC used, the DA8 is twice the price. Is it 2x better? No, but it did correct the traits of the Rega that bothered me most, and as a result, I am enjoying my music much more.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #357 of 1,613
Just received my DA8... sounding great. What are peoples favorite settings? I guess there are only 2. Filter and Jitter reducer.. Slow and Bypass.
Wow the imaging is really great!! :)
Yeah!
M
Congrats! Finally eh? Thinking back, it seems like you waited for a very long time :p.

As for the settings, I currently have phase@ +, Slow, Jitter Bypassed, and pure dac on amplifier OFF (this is only because I have a dedicated amplifier). For DSD playback, my filter is set at 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back