REVIEW: Yarland P100 tube headphone amp (pics)
Apr 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #121 of 207
I will try to change the stock chinese tubes with others, much better, NOS I think; I found a web in Romania selling some NOS tubes:AUDIO ALCHEMY but there have also some new tubes:http://69.16.203.67/~audioalc/amplif/lampi/valve.htm
Yarland it's my first tube amplifier so I don't know if there are some good for my amplifier.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #123 of 207
Thank you Faibanks for reply.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #125 of 207
I have added the following to the review on the first page:

Sound & Vision (STO Sound & Vision) was nice enough to loan me a review sample of the new version of the P100. Right out of the box you can tell this is a refined model – it looks much nicer than the original, which I found to be quite beautiful in and of itself. The new one has a gloss black chassis finish, and the wood front panel is also now gloss finished. The whole thing looks very nice. The internals are improved as well – see pics:

newyarland010.jpg

newyarland009.jpg

newyarland008.jpg

newyarland007.jpg

But none of that matters if it doesn’t sound good! Unfortunately, I do not have the original Yarland around anymore, making a direct comparison impossible. But I did spend a long time listening to the new Yarland, and it is a FINE sounding amplifier.

I listened to the P100 largely with my Beyer trio – 600 ohm DT770, 880, and 990. I also tested the P100 with the Kenwood K1000 and the JVC DX1000.

The Yarland P100 now sells for $495 - $145 more than the first version. Aside from the looks, and build quality, the new version is has other obvious improvements:

1.My original P100 hummed a little with ANY tubes and any headphones. The new P100 was completely hum-free (NOTE: there is some hum when the source component is turned off – don’t let that alarm you – it’s not there when the source is on).

2.Bass performance, a weakness of the original Yarland, was MUCH better. Bass was punchy, tight, and reasonably full. There was a little less bass than I am used to, but this was just a very slight shading, and I’m sure using different tubes could probably change that (my review was done exclusively with NOS Sylvania tubes - grey-plate 6BQ5’s and black-plate 2C51’s).

3.Treble was slightly more extended than I recall with the original. In any case, it was certainly not an issue. The treble was silky, sweet, and airy.

The overall performance, as before, was very good. Mids were sumptuous – perhaps just a touch forward. The soundstage was very, very good – depth was excellent, and width was good as well. Listening to “Voodoo” by Godsmack, the depth that is infused into that track is very much in evidence. The striking of the percussion is outstandingly reproduced – transients are clean, and decay is clean, and detailed.

The DT880’s sounds especially good with the Yarland. Never too bright or too flat, this was a very synergistic pairing. The harmony vocal on the third verse of “Death Whispered a Lullaby” from Opeth’s “Damnation” was beautifully rendered, and the two vocal lines were well delineated.

The new Yarland is actually remarkably neutral sounding. I was immediately aware of the sonic attributes of the headphone I was using at the time. The Yarland didn’t seem to flavor the headphone much at all, instead letting each come though as one would expect.

I had no trouble with my 70 ohm DX1000’s, or even the 40 ohm Kenwood, with the P100 either. There was more hiss audible with low impedance cans using the 32 ohm output, but only at a rotation of the volume control that would never be used. I’m not sure how it fair with the really punishingly low impedance Denon or Grado headphones, but headphones in the 60-80 ohm area were no problem (and of course higher impedance headphones were all the better).

The $500 price point for tube headphone amps is VERY crowded. AudioTailor Jade, WooAudio WA3, Darkvoice 336SE, Ming-Da MC84-07C, Little Dot Mk IV – this is just to name a few. All of them are in fact very good, which is nice, and all have a little different flavor (I have never heard the LD but have auditioned all the rest). And in fact, those are all LESS expensive than the new Yarland. So the competition for the Yarland is a little stiff.

Nonetheless, the P100 is a very good headphone amp. As pretty as it is to look at, I confess I like to actually SEE the tubes in my tube amps. But for some, the more normal component-style chassis of the Yarland will be a blessing (just make sure not to stack anything on top of the P100 so the ventilation holes do their job). It sounds terrific, though, and offers an exciting, engaging sound. For those who want a (very) slightly forward sounding tube amp, and who like the beautiful but component-style looks, the Yarland is an easy amp to recommend.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #126 of 207
Thanks Skylab, than it's a quite big step over the previous one, how you would rate it in your chart?

I think that the price is a bit strange, in Italy I can buy it from official distributor for 320$ discounted (from Italy not China), is a big difference in price from 500$...

I'm quite convinced to buy the new Yarland (I would use it with the Senn 650), in the 300$ "territory" there is nothing better in your opinion?

P.s If I remember good, cattylink sell the P100 for 234$ + shipment and custom, than "my" price (about 300-330$) is more understandable than the 500$ price (over double direct China price)

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #127 of 207
Are you sure that your $320 is getting you the NEW P100, not the old one? You will want to check, as the new one is much better.

I placed the new Yarland much higher up on the rankings, but all of the amps in that $350-500 price range are very, very good.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #128 of 207
Yes Skylab, I asked if it was the new version and they said me the was the 2009 version with the "clarity cap" at 235€, in any case I will ask them to give me a shot of the internal if they are not sure to give me 100% possibility that I get the last version...

But between the Jade, who is better (similar priced amps for me)?
Aesthetically I like external tubes but sound quality is my first choice...

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #129 of 207
Thanks for the review Skylab.I'm enjoying the Yarland immensely.It's a lot of fun rolling differnt tubes In the Yarland making it a non fatiguing amp.About the price.When you buy from Sound&Vision and something goes wrong with it you send it back to Sound&Vision to be repaired not back to China.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #130 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But between the Jade, who is better (similar priced amps for me)?
Aesthetically I like external tubes but sound quality is my first choice...

I can't answer this question - I don't have your headphones, or your ears
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review Skylab.I'm enjoying the Yarland immensely.It's a lot of fun rolling differnt tubes In the Yarland making it a non fatiguing amp.About the price.When you buy from Sound&Vision and something goes wrong with it you send it back to Sound&Vision to be repaired not back to China.

And no doubt, being able to deal with Sound & Vision in the US is a big advantage, I agree.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #131 of 207
I have seen the updated chart, I think that I will get the P100 if the price is for the last version as the distributor said me (no customs no high shipment cost and warranty), also if I don't understand why close tubes in the box...(Jade is much butter aesthetically imho)

Skylab your review is with stock tubes?

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #132 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Skylab your review is with stock tubes?

Definitely not. I quote from the review:

Quote:

my review was done exclusively with NOS Sylvania tubes - grey-plate 6BQ5’s and black-plate 2C51’s

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #133 of 207
I just want to take this time to thank Skylab for all the reviews he's done.We'd never know about all the nice amps out there and where they stand if it was'nt for Skylab,Thanks Skylab.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #134 of 207
Quote:

I just want to take this time to thank Skylab for all the reviews he's done.We'd never know about all the nice amps out there and where they stand if it was'nt for Skylab,Thanks Skylab.

Truly my pleasure. It was very nice getting to spend the time with the new Yarland - nice to see an already good amp get improved!

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #135 of 207
Quote:

Sure, thanks Skylab
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back