Review: Westone AC2 dual driver custom in ear monitor
May 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the review Project86! I just got my impressions done today and placed an order for the AC2's. They will be replacing my UM2's, which I am quite happy with, other than having to buy a new set of Comply's every week to keep a consistent fit. I feel like I'm renting my earphones sometimes haha.  They will be used the majority of the time as stage monitors, but I plan on using my iPod as a source sometimes as well.

You're review reassured me that I was making a good decision, as I love my UM2's. Thanks for the contributing so much to HeadFi... and all of us newbie's out there haha!

Awesome! Please post your impressions when you get a chance. It doesn't have to be long and rambling like mine (sorry!)... just any thoughts you have would be great. As a regular UM2 user, you would have a great perspective on how similar/different the AC2 sounds.

Quote:
I just saw this; great review!  From your description they seem like they are different as most customs I have heard and have read about don't offer a V shaped sound signature.  And your description of who you would recommend the product to seems similar to how I would recommend the TS842!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Joe! I don't know if V shaped quite captures the sound, but I certainly don't have a better way of putting it. Westone said they don't release their frequency response charts, just as a general practice, so I really don't know. But they sure are interesting. 

May 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 32
I recently made a big discovery while listening to the AC2. I can't believe I missed it before. These things handle certain types of jazz extremely well. I don't know if there is a specific name for this particular type of jazz, but a key theme is that it always has vocals. Dinah Washington, Ella Fitgerald, Nat King Cole, Joe Derise, Madeleine Peyroux, Etta James, you get the idea. For whatever reason these tracks NEVER have any of the sibilance that I complained about in the review. Bass is very tactile and rich. I need to do some back to back listening with other IEMs to confirm, but I think what is happening is that these recordings are naturally a bit light in the bass and soft in the upper range. So they play to the strengths and weaknesses of the AC2 really well. 

Not all jazz is as good. Any type of softer or more technical instrumental jazz will be decent but not spectacular like the above mentioned artists. But for that specific brand of jazz, the AC2 is one of the best around at any price.

May 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
HI, i wanna ask, is AC2 better than ES1? which one is better? anyone tried the CR-1? (well, i guessing AC2 is better than CR-1)

I don't ever recall reading about anyone who owned the ES1. I'm sure someone must own them but they sure don't post about it. 

I'm guessing the CR-1 is just the AC1 but with a full vinyl shell and a non-detachable cable. Working with full vinyl or silicone allows for less tuning, so the lows don't extend as deep. See how the specs are the same on both except the CR-1 is rated to 40Hz while the AC1 goes to 20Hz.

I'm pretty comfortable saying the AC2 is will be superior to all the single driver models when it comes to sound quality.

May 29, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 32
Hi there, thanks for the reply, im new here and really interested on westone and their new AC-2

will the ear impression matter a lot? i live at malaysia, there's a store that distribute westone product, including their custom models, it's called jaben. they using their own audiologist that they have known very well and they said have a quite nice result. i heard your AC-2 has a really great fit, is it due to the impression? i want the same quality for the fit as well.

is the waiting time for the shipping that fast? kewl

regards

May 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for the reply, im new here and really interested on westone and their new AC-2

will the ear impression matter a lot? i live at malaysia, there's a store that distribute westone product, including their custom models, it's called jaben. they using their own audiologist that they have known very well and they said have a quite nice result. i heard your AC-2 has a really great fit, is it due to the impression? i want the same quality for the fit as well.

is the waiting time for the shipping that fast? kewl

regards

No problem.

Jaben is a great place, and I imagine it should not be a problem to get good impressions taken. Once the audiologist has experience doing impressions for IEMs (rather than just hearing aids which have different requirements), it really isn't that hard. Although I guess it is possible that some people have more difficult ears to work with compared to mine. 

I think part of the reason mine fit so well is because Westone did a great job making the tips just right. The tips seem like an area where even a tiny error would cause discomfort.

And yes, they were very fast. Obviously shipping will be something you would have to wait longer for since you are farther away. But the time from when they receive the impressions to the time they finish your customs seems very fast, and that's usually the part where you have to wait long with some other companies.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 32
I'm giving this thread a bump, because I think it's an awesome review for a great custom IEM 
o2smile.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 32
Not to necro an old thread but Westone just announced their AC20 as the upgraded version of the AC2.  I have a set being built currently and I will add my thoughts to see if anything has changed in the sound signature once I get them.  I appreciate the review as this was the most succinct review I was able to find on the internet for these CIEMs.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 32
I also have a set of AC20's being built.  Ordered them at CES and got impressions done Westone's booth.  I will post thoughts here once I receive them. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #27 of 32
  I also have a set of AC20's being built.  Ordered them at CES and got impressions done Westone's booth.  I will post thoughts here once I receive them. 

Nice! Feel free to post all about them here, unless you feel it would make sense to start a new thread. Either way works. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #28 of 32
I just got a call from my Audiologist that my AC20s have arrived... sadly they called right before they closed.  I will pick them up in the morning before I go to work.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #29 of 32
I got my Ac20s today.  I almost panicked as they came in AC2 retail packaging.  However, upon opening them the acrylics are labeled AC20 and they have the MMCX cable system.  I will confirm, they are single bore.  I will be honest, I have not put them through their paces but I will throughout the day and will listen to different music and through differing devices.  My initial thoughts are that these CIEMs are flat sounding but respond well to eq.  I will try to listen to them without eq as much as possible initially.  The fit seems good, but as they are my first CIEMs I will give them some time to be sure.  I am a musician who plays several instruments while singing lead and background, so fit will be noticeable at my next gig.  I did not need the supplied Otoease.  I am very happy so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back